PDA

View Full Version : Long Headed Popy

haggis63
06-03-2003, 07:31 AM
I've included a little technical detail with this post in an effort to live up to the new forum guidlines.

These two shots are of "Long-headed Poppy", Papaver dubium The red is less intense than in the Common Poppy Papavar rhoeas and the hairs on the stem lie flat. This wildflower conveniently sowed itself in an empty pot so I was able to move it around and choose where I wanted to photograph it. If only other wildflowers had the sense to do that :)

#1. Zoomed in at f3 - 1/250th in order to reduce depth of field. Distance from me to the rasberries in the background is a bout 7 feet with the poppy situated about half way between. With this one I have also selected the background and darkened it a little to increase contrast with the flower.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2003/9739-poppy1.jpg

#2. f6.3 1/250th Moved the pot into the sunshine, as I wanted to keep the shutter speed up (due to the breeze) while increasing depth of field to get more detail in the flower centre.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2003/9739-poppy2.jpg

Photos taken with a Canon G3
Comments, critiques, and polite suggetions welcome. Telling me to stick these flowers where the sun don't shine is fine as long as we are talking about lighting :D

Alan

jsr88
06-03-2003, 08:55 AM
Alan...both of these are real beauties! Of course, my favorite is the close up of the center (centre, to you ;) ). However, aside from the wonderful images, what I'm happy to see is the explanation you gave for the camera settings. From someone who is still relying on the "auto" mode of my cameras, this info is extremely welcomed.

:clap: ~ THANK YOU! ~ :clap:
(Now...if I could just remember all this when I'm out in the field! :cat: )

King Terrier
06-03-2003, 09:45 AM
Alan-
Two wonderful photos. I'm with Julie and like the C-U best. Do you use Manual Focus with the G3? I nearly always use MF on the G1, but it's difficult.
Nice shots.
:clap:

AriadneArts
06-03-2003, 10:05 AM
Beautiful shots, Alan. And thanks so much for the tech info. I LOVE the peachy color of this poppy. I've never seen one like this before. Gorgeous!

bairam
06-03-2003, 12:15 PM
This is a beautiful poppy Alan. I love the color. I have one that is purple and would look lovely with this one. The second shot is my favorite.

Did I understand correctly that this is a wildflower?

Thanks for the technical info, wish I understood it all.

haggis63
06-03-2003, 12:51 PM
Thank you for commenting Julie, Michael, Eileen and Maria.

Originally posted by King Terrier
Do you use Manual Focus with the G3? I nearly always use MF on the G1, but it's difficult.

I have done when it refuses to focus where I want it to - such as recently when photographing etched writing on a glass window and the camera wanted to look right through the window and focus on the inside of the building. Generally speaking though, I just use the auto focus.

Originally posted by bairam
Did I understand correctly that this is a wildflower?

Yes it's a native wildflower. Many folk pull them up as weeds but I like to let them grow wherever they want to. This one just happened to grow in a pot which had some long since dead chrysanthemums in it. Sometimes you see whole fields of them.

Alan

Ozzie
06-03-2003, 02:24 PM
Alan these two are great. What a unique flower. Never seen one with a centre like that. But I'm going against the grain here, I like the first one better. Very nice color in detail on both of em'.

Ozzie

haggis63
06-03-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Ozzie
I'm going against the grain here, I like the first one better. Very nice color in detail on both of em'.

Hey thanks Ozzie - That was my personal favourite too.

Here's one taken indoors of the unopened bud:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2003/9739-poppy4.jpg

Alan

jsr88
06-03-2003, 07:53 PM
Hey Alan...I want to see the macro BIGGER!!! :D (I want to see the center part! )

TeAnne
06-03-2003, 08:28 PM
WOW Alan, it reminded me of a satellite dish :D very cool

MissMouse
06-03-2003, 10:03 PM
Alan - I also like the first photo it shows the dedicate nature of this wonderful wild flower.

haggis63
06-04-2003, 05:20 AM
Thanks Julie, Te, and Pam.

Originally posted by jsr88
Hey Alan...I want to see the macro BIGGER!!! :D (I want to see the center part! )

I'm afraid this is about as close as I can get Julie:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2003/9739-poppy5.jpg

Alan

jsr88
06-04-2003, 07:45 AM
:clap: ~ I LOVE THE "FUZZIES"! :clap:

Thanks Alan.