PDA

View Full Version : Gladiolas in Pink and Yellow

bairam
06-03-2003, 12:51 AM
My Glads this year are hugh and the colors seem to be even better than they have been in the past. Perhaps just my imagination, but it seems so.
Here I attempted to do a still life with them. I still haven't gotten the lighting right, but I'll keep trying.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2003/2194-Todays_Glads.jpg
Here's a close up of them so you can see how pretty they are.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2003/2194-Glads.Close-up.jpg

Taken with Nikon 4500 Cool Pix Digital.

Hope you enjoy these.

haggis63
06-03-2003, 06:08 AM
Great colours and I like your choice of background. The lighting is not terrible but I agree it would be worth experimenting with some variations.

Originally posted by bairam
Hope you enjoy these.

I certainly did!

Alan

AriadneArts
06-03-2003, 10:32 AM
Very nice, Maria. I especially like the second one. The colors are gorgeous. The only suggestion I would have is to change the BG color (sorry Alan:( ). I feel it competes with the colors of the flowers--they kind of blend in, when what you really want is to POP them out. Just my 2 pingins worth. :D

haggis63
06-03-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by AriadneArts
The only suggestion I would have is to change the BG color (sorry Alan:( ). I feel it competes with the colors of the flowers--they kind of blend in, when what you really want is to POP them out.

Actually I kind of agree with you. I was thinking less light on the background so there was more tonal contrast but a nice complimentary colour would certainly do the trick too.

Alan

geckonia
06-03-2003, 11:18 AM
ooooohhhh.... I like this one, Maria!!! So much better than your earlier attempts, don't you think? I think EIleen has a good point, and maybe try this with some other colors too, but I happen to love the background color you chose... I don't mind harmony at all, and the yellow really looks great in contrast to the pink. What I do think would help is a tinge of a shadow on the mat board... I know that's tough with the soft light you have going, but if you can connect the foreground and the background somehow I think that would make for a stronger image.

You should be so proud of yourself... you've come such a long way with digital, and your garden is so beautiful that I can see you getting *exactly* the look you want very soon.... keep up the good work!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

bairam
06-03-2003, 02:22 PM
Thank you so much everyone for looking at this and making the very useful suggestions. I wasn't sure about the background color either, but though I'd give it a try. The lighting still evades me and I would really like to have some shadows, but don't want harsh white light. A dilemma for me.

Thanks so much Geck for all your help and suggestions and for the nice compliments. I'll talk with you this weekend about some of these things.

I love all you guys. You are just great and so encouraging.

wintherstudios
06-03-2003, 03:25 PM
very nicem love them, these are actually my fav flowers next to tulips and lilies! cant wait untill ours goes into bloom!

King Terrier
06-03-2003, 03:26 PM
Great colors Maria. I especially like #2. Great comments, already; here are a couple of thoughts. In #1, I would prefer to see the tips of the stems as part of the composition. (But that's a highly personal pref ;))

Lighting. It appears you have two distinct light sources, which is a bit confusing for me. If you're looking for soft light, you might try a singe source with some kind of diffusion material between the light and the flowers. This could be flimsy tracing paper, sheer cloth, or the like. (Not too close to the light . . . Don't burn the house down!) :D

I like the idea of playing with shadows, too. Try a single light source for that, too. This looks like a fun project. Eager to see the next step.

bairam
06-03-2003, 09:36 PM
Thanks Winter and Michael.

Would you believe that is a full sheet of mat board behind this arrangement and the tops of the flowers were taller than the board set on its end, that's 40 inches. I mentioned that my glads where hugh this year and I wasn't kidding. I even had to cut off the top 4" of the stalks so they wouldn't be so tall. I find that when you cut them for the house the last few blossoms don't bloom out to well anyway.

Ozzie
06-03-2003, 11:44 PM
Maria,

Those are gorgeous flowers!! I would want to shoot them too, beautiful color.

Look forward to seeing more of your work with these.

Ozzie