PDA

View Full Version : Exhibiting Works..

kare
06-02-2003, 08:47 PM
Just an idea.. I am thinking about exhibiting some works early to mid 2004.. I've never exhibited before and I'm wondering if there is a certain requirement for abstract pieces when you place entries in an exhibition.

For instance, is it best to paint on framed canvas piece or will canvas board do? And are certain canvas sizes prefered over other sizes.. Little things like this, are what I am not sure of..

Abstract can be based on anything, I know this.. But is there a limit to the subject/theme in your painting at all?

Ciarrai :)

El_Elegante
06-02-2003, 10:02 PM
canvas board is generally frowned upon. lots of great artists have used it from time to time but it tends to warp over time, and the cardboard backing will disintigrate over a few decades. Best not to use it for your primary work, which is what you probably want to enter.

Size? I've found size impresses people... not had any luck entering my smaller work although it's better in many cases.

No limit to subject or theme unless specifically asked for.

Some competitions will have other requirements like no photogrophy, or small works only, etc.... if it's not listed on their prospectus, then anything goes.

kare
06-02-2003, 10:06 PM
Thankyou!!

I didn't know that about canvas board- how it warps..
it's just that framed canvas is so expensive :(
My Da and I tried making a huge canvas, we succeeded but the canvas isn't anywhere near as tight as it should be.. so we kinda gave up after that one..

Any ideas or tips on where I can pick up canvas at a lower price??

Then again, the lower the price the poorer the quality! :rolleyes:

kare
06-02-2003, 11:10 PM
okay.. enough questions, i know!!

one more.. does it matter with what quality of acrylic paint you use in pieces you want to exhibit? - by this i mean.. is student brand alright to use? do the student brands last as long as artist quality paints??

at the moment i'm using the student brand- Reeves.. is there much difference between brands??

El_Elegante
06-03-2003, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by ciarrai
okay.. enough questions, i know!!

one more.. does it matter with what quality of acrylic paint you use in pieces you want to exhibit? - by this i mean.. is student brand alright to use? do the student brands last as long as artist quality paints??

at the moment i'm using the student brand- Reeves.. is there much difference between brands??

You gotta use what you gotta use. There are crayon drawings in the Museum of Modern Art... it's how you use it. But all things being equal, Arshille Gorkey's oil paintings are a hellufa lot better than his crayon drawings. Not necessarily any point in using pricey materials just to use them.. your art will tell you when the materials your using are insufficient to properly create your work.

kare
06-03-2003, 02:38 AM
Thankyou!!

Just wanted to run this by you all.. a friend just suggested that i soak my material in water before stappling it to the wood to make canvas..

I've never heard of this process and I'm wondering if it works? If so, this may be an ideal way to go about making my own canvas. She is sure that the canvas stretches further once you have soaked it. Is this true?

Thanks for your help!! I REALLY appreciate it!!
Ciarrai :)

El_Elegante
06-03-2003, 10:30 AM
Soaking it depends on what it is and what your doing. For example if you soaked and stretched an unsized canvas taught, then tried to size it with rabbit skin glue and gesso... it's going to be so taught it may split. I hear lots of people soak primed cotton canvas. Personally I don't because I usually manage to get it pretty tight, and I always give it a wash of a very wet diluted brown, to avoid painting on white.. usually after the layer drys, the canvas is taught and I have no problems. I have had to restretch 1-2 works done this way but it probably has more to do with the frames bowing and not being supported like I should.

Gar
06-03-2003, 12:46 PM
You need to buy some canvas pliers. They're cheap and will help save yer knuckles.

PS - Sometimes i wipe my canvas down with a wet cloth to take out wrinkles before stretching. never tryed actually soaking it all the way though.

kare
06-03-2003, 04:25 PM
Right...
the spritz of water helps the canvas stretch, am i right?
someone in another thread also mentioned stretching bars??

Tamana
06-03-2003, 04:28 PM
I agree with what everyone who knows what they're talking about says. :) Good luck.

Shalom,

Tam :)

kare
06-04-2003, 08:38 PM
a good coat of paint helps shrink the canvas too, so i found out :)