PDA

View Full Version : I like it here

djstar
01-29-2001, 07:05 PM
I found my way here recently, aside from the fact that I have only done TWO landscapes, and really am excited by the posts.
I went out with my friend who I hope will post here watercolor later and, inspite of the balmy desert we live in, WE FROZE!
Besides water and essencials for life, how do people keep from going NUMB?
I thought of putting rubber gloves over my gloves but I think it will not really work.
Fingerless things, are obvious, but I am totally impressed by those of you who REALLY have weather.
Any keeping warm hints?
I decided to quit while I was ahead and take a snapshot to finish from.

This is what I got started.... (http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/Forum21/HTML/002599.html)

With great respect,
dj*

Phyllis Rennie
01-29-2001, 07:35 PM
Battery operated hand warmers, felt lined boots, wool socks over cotton socks, long johns, layered clothing, hat, etc.

Hot chocolate or soup in a thermos, build a fire, keep moving, sit in the car with the heater running, etc.

Or you could be like me and just paint indoors until warmer weather !!!!

[This message has been edited by Phyllis Rennie (edited January 29, 2001).]

LarrySeiler
01-29-2001, 08:27 PM
I'm really excited about your enthusiasm for painting plein airs DJ....!!!! ...and your work shows you have the knack for this!

Phyllis suggestions are good....

In addition...try to position your easel so that you stand in the sun. Even the shadowed side of a tree can increase the cold temperature effects!

I wear a pair of wool finger cutoff gloves. I wear plenty of layers...a t-shirt, long john thermal UNDER shirt 7 pants...a flannel shirt, vest, winter coat, ice man boots.. with cotton socks, wool socks over those.

In extreme cold, I wear a neoprene face mask that converts warm exhaling to facial heat. Sometimes two hats, a polar fleece beneath a knit.

We also have these chemical plastic pouches that you shake and converts to artificial heat lasting up to 5 hours. Keep a couple in the coat pockets...gloves if you wish. Boots...you name it.

Now...if that doesn't scare you....very ccc-cool! http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Larry http://www.artsmentor.org

------------------
"Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do!" Edgar Degas

djstar
01-29-2001, 08:37 PM
We found ourselves warming in the ladies room. There was a hand dryer which was good until I lost the thumb all together.
Remember, in Phoenix, if the sun comes out, it is hot anyway. We actually had clouds. Total weather anomaly!
Yeah, I knew the cut off fingers was the deal, but I really think I have low blood pressure, it hits all of my extremities first. MY NOSE freezes so a mask would be great.
I am so sorry I didn't get a photo of the little man wearing a sleeping bag who seemed to be the park patrol bum. He looked like santa in green and HE knew how to keep warm.
dj*

paintfool
01-30-2001, 03:47 AM
Sorry i can't help you DJ, i live in Fla! But we even have our cold days here! I do layered clothig so that as the day warms i can peel of layer by layer. A hot thermos of coffee, cocoa or whatever is always good! I'm just so glad that you're experiencing plein air! there's really nothing quite like it. Now that you've done this, think of how much fun you'll have when the weather improves! http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif
Cheryl

------------------
paintfool

LDianeJohnson
01-30-2001, 08:59 AM
The cold can be brutal. I usually just stay in when it gets bitterly cold. Most of the painting I do is during more temperate weather. But layering is wise, a scarf around the face, and a very good hat to minimize heat loss is a must. Paint small, fast and loose, then go in to warm up as you did.

The bright spot in all this--because you invested so much energy into these paintings, they will mean more to you than some you'll do indoors. There is just something about painting live in spite of the cold, heat, or inclement weather.

Your piece looks fresh and alive. I hope you will not be discouraged by the this "cold" experience and continue painting en plein air!

------------------
2001 L. Diane Johnson Plein Air Workshops (http://www.LDianeJohnson.com/workshops)

bri
01-30-2001, 07:50 PM
dj*,

My favorite spots are in the woods. Woods is woods even in the Winter, and a thick conglomeration of trees, even without leaves, is thick enought o block the sun. I'm in Pennsylvania. It's no North Pole but it seems to be a tad on the wrong side of comfy for me in the Winter.

GORE-TEX is a thing to be appreciated when it is getting dark this time of year. So is down. Hunters and outdoor painters are not moving around much, so I look in hunting wear catalogs sometimes to find stuff to wear. It is definitely harder to paint when you're spending 70% of your energy staying warm. MOVE AROUND some...take a break and walk around and find some cool stuff! That's what I do. Cool stuff is cool! :-)

I like to manipulate my brushes and get the best out of them! It's fun!...but when you little fingies get chills sometimes it's all I can do to try to get the wing nuts on my folding easel to go in the right direction...so I want my lil' fingers warm but I need the tips so I have a pair of wool gloves with no fingertips. I have a pair of fleece ones for the walk back (becaues I have a sixteen year old Grumbacher folding easel with the cold plastic handle, not the other ones with the comfy leather handle.)

Once my footsies get wet it's ll over, so I invest in quality boots, waterproof and insulated.

Like I said, these things are about letting me focus on painting instead of shivering.

***Contrary to popular opinion, a flask of the ol' Captain doesn't make one warmer on a cold day....I've tested this.

I L O V E T O P A I N T ! ! !

---bri

Phyllis Rennie
01-31-2001, 07:59 PM
This reminds me of that outrageous story that jhagen told several months ago about painting outside in the cold. I don't know how to make a link but you could use the search to find it. Phyl