PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastels 2nd June - 9th June

Dark_Shades
06-02-2003, 02:59 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=109457

The link to last weeks thread ..........

16th!! Week!!!

the idea is to paint quick n loose ..... in a set time of ..... 30 mins-45- 60mins and post the results at the point you are at

its open to all and any that want to participate, no matter what your skill level is..... to the humble newbie, to experienced pastellists ......
You can always carry on working on your piece later ...... its all about having fun and joining in ....... there really has been some great paintings through this weekly thread ....... lots of encouragement, support, advise and critique if you want it .... questions answered ..... there is a link back on each previous week ....... or just pop in for a natter

...... we've had some new people posting in last weeks thread....... which is great to see ........ good works everyone

see you all later ........ have fun

angecald
06-03-2003, 01:42 AM
Hi, Dawn, I'm either early for this week's thread or REALLY late for last week's. Let's say early, shall we?

This sketch had a rough trip through Photoshop - it's a wonder it's still alive. I did a nice little tree drawing, too, but it perished before it got to the disc and I haven't the heart to drag it through any more tonight.

This is out of focus and the horizon dips at a 30 degree angle because I'm a really rotten photographer, not because I'm that bad a painter. All the colour seems to have drained off. The green grass in the original could be a little too bright, but it's pretty pale here, at least on my monitor.

It's on the smooth side of Canson, blue-gray colour, about 8"x11".

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2003/17105-bay2.JPG

Dark_Shades
06-03-2003, 09:23 AM
I really like the sky and water in this Ang...... yes the greens look rather pale on my monitor too ....... are you going to darken them?

nice work ang

Dark_Shades
06-03-2003, 04:24 PM
Wahhhhhhhh I got computer probs :((

Chelle
06-03-2003, 06:42 PM
This is almost an hour, to the minute, on top of the one I posted last week.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2003/7274-Oranges_004sml.jpg

Chelle
06-03-2003, 06:47 PM
Agnes: Nice work. To Me it looks like a tropical storm is just starting to build up out there on the horizon, beyond the reef, but the lagoon is still serene and sheltered. Quite a romantic notion.

Dark shades: Hope your computer's all right.

angecald
06-04-2003, 01:21 AM
No, Dawn, I'm not going to fiddle with it any more. It's just a sketch. One reason I've been slacking off lately is that I lost sight of the original idea of this thread, which is to do something, however minimal, each day, and not worry about the results. So I'm trying to keep that in sight now.

Chelle, I like your basket of oranges, very nice arrangement, and nice blue background.

As for lagoons, and tropical storms, I wish! It rained all week and I just found one dryish hour to dash this off at our local beach. The white specks are seagulls.

Roni Anderson
06-04-2003, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by angecald
No, Dawn, I'm not going to fiddle with it any more. It's just a sketch. One reason I've been slacking off lately is that I lost sight of the original idea of this thread, which is to do something, however minimal, each day, and not worry about the results. So I'm trying to keep that in sight now.

I'm back in the land of computers and pastels - PTL!! And I REALLY like what you say angecald above - THE ORIGINAL IDEA OF THIS THREAD. This is exactly what got me to jump from watercolors to pastels and sketch, sketch, sketch.... As I packed up my pastels and art stuff to move to Iraq I couldn't believe the difference in my sketches from when I first started to just before we moved and I had to stop for a while.

You guys've got me inspired for sure. Now I get to try Terry Ludwig's samples that came just before we left. Yippee.

Nice beach scene and yummy fruit...can't wait to see more. Next time I post I hope to have something to share :cat: ..

E-J
06-04-2003, 09:13 AM
Chelle, lovely oranges :clap: I particularly like the way you've tackled the cut surfaces, they look so juicy!

Agnes, a nice sketch. Good to keep things loose sometimes and not fret too much about them. The smooth side of Canson is far more sympathetic to work on than the holey side, isn't it?

I hope to be joining in tonight, having gone a hideous NINE DAYS without pastelling ... I did manage a Neocolor drawing of some fruit, which is the only thing that's kept me sane [well, ok, sane-ish]! See you all later :D

E-J
06-04-2003, 05:19 PM
Chelle ... you inspired me to buy some oranges to sketch ... hope you are flattered and not annoyed. This is soft pastels [including a couple of my new Unison darks] on back of blue Canson, just 30 mins' worth.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2003/13865-oranges.jpg

Oranges are fun. Painting them made me feel instantly happier :)

E-J
06-04-2003, 06:13 PM
Me again :) This is the best pic I can get of my Neocolor fruits on dark blue from a few days ago ... from a photo in the Ref Library.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2003/13865-neocolor.jpg

Roni Anderson
06-05-2003, 05:53 AM
Nice job on the oranges EJ ...aren't they fun to do? I love the intensity of the neocolors on the fruit - really punch out!

E-J
06-05-2003, 01:42 PM
Just had to share today's find ... my local art shop was selling off sets of 72 assorted Winsor & Newton pastels at half price: that's 40 [about US$65] instead of the usual 80 [$130]!!! :) They are lovely pastels and I was moping recently about not having a wide enough selection of colours, so as you can imagine I'm very pleased with myself!

Here is my pastel box loaded up with the W&N, plus my Nupastels, my new Unison set of 18 darks [the reflection off the pastel dust makes them look lighter in the digital pic than they actually are] and a few other colours I've picked up singly.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2003/13865-my_pastels.jpg

Who wants to come over and help me snap 'em all in half? :D

Dark_Shades
06-05-2003, 01:50 PM
Nice work there EJ, on your fruits and your scoop lol on the W&N's ...... I especially like the glass bowl in your fruits ...... so come on, what you waiting for ....... crack open a pastel in celebration and lets see some more great work ..... and colours

E-J
06-05-2003, 04:41 PM
Decided to try the orange setup again ... W&N Tints paper is a lot like Mi-Teintes and this time I wanted to try and blend the fabric so not too much texture showed through, but keep the oranges fairly untouched. This took an hour.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2003/13865-oranges2.jpg

Dark_Shades
06-05-2003, 05:25 PM
you are really doing great with these EJ........ and especially within the time frames........ love that orange on the left ....... fabric really looks like FABRIC and the blue so good against the oranges.......... would be nice to see all 3 pics together

great stuff

Kathryn Wilson
06-05-2003, 09:13 PM
Bought the pears and they need to be eaten - LOL. Done on horrible "big hole" paper - but I kind of like the effect. Does not hold pastel very well and had to spray once. Was done in 30 min., but the pear on the right looked like a lump of coal, so proceeded to fix it - another 30 min.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2003/14941-pears.jpg

Mikki Petersen
06-06-2003, 04:12 AM
All of you are doing impressive work and in such short time frames, too. I really like the concept of doing art every day, but boy, I just can't work that fast! Really beautiful pieces here!

Dark_Shades
06-06-2003, 04:51 AM
Thats lovely Kyle ........ brilliant job and especially in that time - I like the effect of the textured paper too, gives am added point of interest

very nice result indeed

E-J
06-06-2003, 05:35 AM
Dawn ... thanks for the positive comments. I'm feeling as if I need to be more careful and considered with the techniques I use ... perhaps sketches aren't the place to be worrying about them but I do think I tend to apply the pastel any old how and that maybe I need to make each stroke more deliberate. Funny you should like the glass bowl ... I wasn't happy with that at all! :D Thanks Roni for commenting too.

Kat, I reckon the textured background works well and the gradations on the pears where the red falls into shadow are very nicely handled.

Chelle
06-06-2003, 06:56 AM
EJ Your orange sketches are fantastic and even more so for 30 minutes. I love the rumpled blue fabric of the first one. (and I am indeed flattered) Your fruit pic is Wonderful. I love those colours! What are neocolours though. Am I right in thinking that they are water soluble pastels? Congratulations on your W&N find!
Agnes, I'm envious of all your rain. We're in the middle of a drought here! I knew what the seagulls were. I also love the reflections in the water.

Chelle
06-06-2003, 07:00 AM
Kyle: for some reason I missed your pears. Really nice. I like the green and red shadow/light contrasts. I've got pears in the fridge and I'm going to get one now for a snack!

E-J
06-06-2003, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Chelle
What are neocolours though. Am I right in thinking that they are water soluble pastels?

hi Chelle ... thanks for nice comments :) Neocolor I are artist's wax crayons and Neocolor II are the water-soluble version. They are made in Switzerland. Sonia [Anodyne] posted a few of her Neocolor pictures recently ~ if you search in the forum for 'blueberries' you should find one of them.

Kathryn Wilson
06-06-2003, 09:27 AM
EJ : Love your first version of the oranges - the textured cloth gives it, well, texture. For me, I like the fact I don't have to be careful with every stroke with pastels - I'm just not that detailed - or is it my eyes?? LOL

Could you give us a quick run-down on how you use Neocolor II's - I've been curious about them, but was unsure how they work. Are they dusty??

E-J
06-06-2003, 10:02 AM
Kat, for some reason the image I attached to my last post didn't show up ... These are Neocolors:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2003/13865-neocolorII.jpg

They look just like the crayons that children use, but are artists' quality, so no, they're not dusty but waxy. In terms of texture they are somewhere between a coloured pencil and an oil pastel.

Dark_Shades
06-08-2003, 01:57 PM
........ well everyone is busy, with house, holidays......... other commitments ........... so I think we should have a summer recession, until the Autumn, when people are around more

...... unless of course someone else wants to host the thread :D
............ do I hear any volunteers?

......... hey EJ ........ wish you luck with your Ebaying ..... whats your name on there?

........... so I declare

<b>:music:Schools Out for Summer :music:</b> :clap:

E-J
06-08-2003, 02:57 PM
Dawn ... my eBay name is mel_nel but I haven't got around to putting anything up yet today :rolleyes: Have yet to try selling my paintings on there ... for the moment I just plan to sell books, CDs and stuff. I need to get some of my paintings mounted and framed ... have told myself that June will be the month I pull my finger out :D

I guess if one of us does a sketch we want to share, we can always open up the thread again.

angeline
06-08-2003, 03:15 PM
Sketches could always go in the Daily scumble if anyone wants do share?
Love what everyone has done.

Kathryn Wilson
06-08-2003, 04:12 PM
EJ : Great minds think alike - I am sitting in front of piles of art books I plan on putting on ebay this week. Our ebay name is "potzrus".

If there is a particular book someone has not been able to find, I might just have it. Thought about mentioning this in WC, but can't find the forum. NO, no pastel books - mostly watercolor and drawing.

Dawn: You should take a well-deserved "time off" from the Weekly Pastels - but if anyone wants to continue, I would be more than happy to go every other week with someone else.

Mo.
06-08-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Dark_Shades
........ well everyone is busy, with house, holidays......... other commitments ........... so I think we should have a summer recession, until the Autumn, when people are around more

...... unless of course someone else wants to host the thread :D
............ do I hear any volunteers?

......... hey EJ ........ wish you luck with your Ebaying ..... whats your name on there?

........... so I declare

<b>:music:Schools Out for Summer :music:</b> :clap:

Dawn ~ I'm late logging in tonight and although I've not participated in this thread very much at all I do think it's an excellent one ~ You my friend have done an absolutely fantastic job here and I can understand you needing a break ~ if you would like me to hold the fort for everyone then I'd be happy to do so, it's the least I can do to help you out ~ even if it's a quiet time here ~ the fear is that should it disappear, some may lose the incentive to do those daily sketches and that would be a shame.

I was hoping to catch you personally this evening, maybe tomorrow hey?

What do you say Dawn and everyone?

Cheers,
Mo.

Suz
06-08-2003, 10:05 PM
Hi, I just found this thread, I'm a little late, but the thread is a great idea and I had independently decided to paint quick studies. So here we go.

Nothing like clouds for a quick study. This is a little longer than an hour, maybe two hours.

Kathryn Wilson
06-08-2003, 10:41 PM
I say we go for it and if you need a break or need to go somewhere, I can back you up.

bnoonan
06-08-2003, 11:04 PM
Mo - I'm sure you're up to it and I'm glad to see Kat will be able to back you up. Unfortunately I'm not reliable enough to jump in, but I do like knowing it's here.

B

Mikki Petersen
06-09-2003, 12:42 AM
Even though I do not participate very often, I do watch and have seem some amazing improvements in skill levels by the regular participants. This is too valuable a thread to have it fall away. Dawn, you have done a wonderful job of hosting all these weeks and it has been a very generous act on your part. You are an enthusiastic coach.

I am glad to see others willing to take over the hosting of this thread for a while. It is maybe one of the most valuable endeavors in this forum.

soap
06-09-2003, 01:39 AM
Don't let the thread fade! I don't join in very often either, but love to see all those wonderful studies! And often a lot of practical info is shared here. So pm me if I am needed to keep it going one time or another.

E-J, if and when you sell something on EBay - wouldn't it cost a fortune to get it to the US? Because I believe most buyers (and sellers) are in the US? How do you plan on tackling this?

E-J
06-09-2003, 04:06 AM
Sophie ~ I log in via ebay.co.uk and I have specified that I will sell to the UK only. It's not only in the US that eBay is popular! :)

soap
06-09-2003, 04:12 AM
gosh, I did not even know there was a UK site! Thanks!

doe
06-09-2003, 08:16 AM
First off - a standing ovation, Dawn, for a job extremely well done and appreciated!:clap:

Personally I've really enjoyed this thread as it made me paint from life - quickly - and has really trained me to get things down on paper more accurately. Although the past couple weeks I haven't been able to participate, I'd like to get back to it as soon as possible, but will be sporatic for a while I think.

Don't have much computer time today so can't comment on each sketch this week, but they are all good and the act of painting and getting the time in at the easel is extremely important - as is painting from life. Keep up the good work!

Dark_Shades
06-11-2003, 08:48 AM
sorry guys, my computer is playing up bad........ and not get email alerts etc properly ..........

just wanted to say......... thanks to one and all for all your kind words and support

.......... YOU guys are the best :clap:

.......... bringing this back up