PDA

View Full Version : Camera Help Please!!!

Nitsa
06-02-2003, 07:56 AM
I currently have a little jenoptik 350 that I bought when I purchased my pc a few years back. Now I have started watercolour painting I find myself drawn to flower macros and am wanting to take my own shots.
Now, obviously, I am no photographer, I have no experience with cameras, the lingo or any other aspect for that matter....I want something easy to use, idiot proof, digital, that will give me a professional look especially on close ups.
I want the type of digital that has little memory chip things (Sorry for my lack of knowlege here), you know....The soort of thing you can take into a chemist to get processed if you so wish.
I have read a little about the Nikon coolpix 4500. It seems to take good macros but I have no idea how difficult it is to use or if I need to purchase a hoard of extra lenses to get the look I am after.

I would really appreciate your help......Please reply in simple terms or I will be more confused than I am now! LOL!

Thankyou!

DraigAthar
06-02-2003, 08:52 AM
Hi Nitsa,

I'm sure others may be able to give you more technical advice, but I do know that the whole Coolpix line of cameras does very well with macros. I have a Nikon Coolpix 5700 and it's GREAT for taking macro shots. I think several folks here have the 4500 and they seem to be quite happy with it, too.

Amy

haggis63
06-02-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Nitsa
Now, obviously, I am no photographer, I have no experience with cameras, the lingo or any other aspect for that matter....I want something easy to use, idiot proof, digital, that will give me a professional look especially on close ups.

Hi Nitsa,

There are myriads of Nikon users around here who can give you advice on their cameras and if you are into macro shots it would certainly be a good brand to look at. However, whatever camera you get you will have to be prepared to get stuck in and learn if you want to achieve professional looking images. I've been learning slowly for over 30 years and I'm still a long way from achieving that. Hope you don't think I'm being pedantic regarding your choice of words. I'm not intending to come across that way. It's just that I often see comments here which suggest that a great camera is all one needs to take great photos. It certainly will help but knowledge and either acquired or natural tallant are essential if you want more than just the odd lucky shot.

Alan

jsr88
06-02-2003, 11:08 AM
Nitsa...Hi!
I have owned several Sony digitals and now have the Nikon CP4500. I have to say that Alan is absolutely right. There is no "magical" camera...and there *is* a period of learning to use it properly. However, take it from one who knows...LUCK *does* play an important part. :D

While I can't make specific recommendations (since I haven't tired them ALL ;) ) I can tell you that my CP4500 is a little sweetheart. It can be used in fully automatic and still has the power, as you advance, to be used in full manual mode. Oh...and I LOVE the quality of the images. :D

geckonia
06-02-2003, 11:16 AM
I agree with Julie, Alan, and Amy. The Nikon's rule macro, no doubt! There are many models to choose from, but the 4500 is especially sweet, given it's small size, and small price. It's the current favorite in this forum. I also use an older 990 and my reference library is full of macros from it if you want to take a look.

I wish there were an idiot proof camera! I still get about 1 in 30 photos I like enough to post, and I've been shooting digital for 5 years. :D

Nitsa
06-02-2003, 06:45 PM
Thanx Amy! :)

Alan......You are quite right..No offence taken, I apologise,
I should have chosen my wording better I KNOW that it takes more than a camera and a bit of luck ;)......What I meant to say is that I want a "clear" enough photo to paint from. The pathetic shots I get from mine on close up now make me feel I have had a few too many schnapps! LOL! I just want my shots to be clear enough to see the detail well enough to paint when I get home!

Jsr....Thankyou! :)

Geck...I LOVE your floral macros, I had no idea they were taken with this camera. If I can achieve even a 10th of what you capture with this piece I am sold on it!...Thankyou! :)

So....am I to believe that this coolpix 4500 takes those little memory things? (please tell me the correct name so I can sound like I have at least half a brain! LOL!)

It's very assuring knowing others here use it, makes me feel that I have a kindda safety net while learning....Thankyou all for your comments and help!

geckonia
06-02-2003, 06:53 PM
shucks.... thanks!

They're called "Compact Flash Cards" ;)

You'll probably want to pick up a 128mb one, the one that comes with the camera is rather small... 32mb I believe.

jsr88
06-02-2003, 07:12 PM
Yep! Compact flash. And..Nope! My camera came with a 16meg "starter memory card." And believe me 16 megs is not much of a starter. :D Being as I already knew my own habits with the digi-cameras, I purchased a SanDisk 256meg CF and it's WONDERFUL! Especially since I learned (the hard way) to use the highest resolution (best quality) for the images.

And as for there being lots of help here on the forum for this camera...Yep! :D Geck's the BEST helper in the world!

haggis63
06-03-2003, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by geckonia
the one that comes with the camera is rather small... 32mb I believe.

LOL - Wow that is small - only 31 Kilobytes! :D Sorry Anne - couldn't resist - see now I really am being pedantic but just in the name of fun - honest :evil: :D (b=bits B=bytes)

Nitsa - I figured that was probably what you meant but you never know. Communicating via text is never easy. I know what you mean - I used to have a little Kodak DC3800. Had to be about 4 feet away to be sure of good focus so it was hopeless for flowers etc. I don't think you could go too far wrong with a Nikon as folk have suggested here.

Alan

Nitsa
06-03-2003, 03:35 AM
I used to have a little Kodak DC3800. Had to be about 4 feet away to be sure of good focus so it was hopeless for flowers etc. Yep!...I know that feeling! LOL!
Thanx Alan!