PDA

View Full Version : new to site - new to using oils - NEED HELP??

shelly
08-30-2000, 10:36 AM
Hi...I just started using oils - love the vibrant colors...however, having trouble with small detail work....any suggestions?

Thanks

paintfool
08-30-2000, 10:56 AM
Shelly, Welcome to WC! Could you possibly elaborate a bit? What in particular is giving you trouble?
Cheryl

alva
08-30-2000, 11:23 AM
Shelly, I join the others in saying WELCOME! I might add concerning your question that you may be experiencing trouble with your painting because of several reasons. The main problem is probably getting too thick with your paint too soon. Apply thinly, use a medium or thinner if needed. For detailed work, use smaller brushes, sables are a good choice, but small bristle brushes may work if you aren't going for "micro" detail. Work from dark to light, that is lay your shadows in first, then middletone (local color), then lights. Try to decide the proper shape, value, and color of whatever area of the painting you are working on, be bold and focused. Best wishes, hope this gives you a few ideas, I look forward to seeing your work on WC. Again, welcome! alva

tammy
08-30-2000, 01:35 PM
Welcome,
As the others are saying a good rule of thumb is start big areas with big brush and you end up with the smaller areas and the smaller brush. Myself, I'd probably be better off just suggesting areas of stuff and forget the detail so I know what you are talking about. You have to use a small brush and for me I can't seem to keep enough paint in them for what I'm doing.
Again, Welcome.

colinbarclay
09-07-2000, 09:41 PM
Hi Shelly,
Heres one - Squint a lot at the painting when you first start out - so you only see the big shapes . Then the small ones are either easier to fit in or you may find that you dont need many at all . And set up somewhere where you can walk back a dozen paces from the p.ting - also gives you a better idea what may be wrong . Or look at it in a mirror, or upside down, or in a black mirror ( best - just take a pane of glass and paint one side with a shiny black enamel paint . This gives you a near-colourless reflection and lets you see the values easier )