PDA

View Full Version : Miasma

Xerielle
06-01-2003, 01:23 PM
Hello dear friends (Adrienne!?) & strangers. (& any others that might not fit into one of those categories)

Tell me honestly what you think about this if you feel inclined. :)

It is an acrylic on canvas paper 4" by 6"

marc
06-01-2003, 01:29 PM
I like this, just like the other ones. Great colour range. Again, I particularly like the more defined and textured areas.. I don't know how easy it is to control the process, but I feel it looks extremely good when there's both clarity and texture and at the same time the soft fluidity.

How do you create these?

Adrienne
06-02-2003, 04:01 AM
Your choice of greens is exquisite. I'm absolutely blown away, but peacefully, by the beauty of this. This takes me to places I've loved, and reminds me of places I've never been.

Xerielle says, "dear friends (Adrienne!?)"

Thank you! and yes! :)

Marc says, "I particularly like the more defined and textured areas.."

I'm just catching up on the Forum yesterday and today -- haven't been around much. I just read the Cerulean Stain thread and this one.

I understand Marc's comment on both, but disagree with it.

On the Cerulean thread, several people mentioned that it reminded them of water. I've sat by so many swirling mountain streams and rivers... There are areas where the flow and eddies are sharp and have defined edges, and right next to them, or on both sides, or above them, the water will be blurred or fogged. I'm not sure why -- probably several reasons: different speed depending on underlying rocks or roots, distance from shore. Different underlying elements. Different particulates which may gather in one area but pass another by...

Anyway, I think that you caught those time warps in Cerulean Stain and I truly loved that about it (and everything else by the way -- it made me gasp).

So even though this is a different painting, a different mood, I love the differences in texture. If this is like a forest then all the same comments apply. Forests are mysteries full of differences co-existing side by side on large and small scales. Definition peacefully accepting lack of focus; depth supporting shallowness; color gracing black-out. Tiny abstract lichen paintings on itty bitty chips of granite, nestled in a huge mountain meadow painted with the chaotic colors of a large canvas.

frieda_maye
06-03-2003, 08:10 AM
It feels like an opening of change, to me. Im reminded of stepping stones, too, by a forest.
I feel no enclosure, weight or definition yet i feel all of those things. One of the things i like about it is that it reminds me of the soft, watery blur ive seen in some feathers.

Are you sure about the title?

Adrienne
06-03-2003, 08:36 AM
Frieda says, "One of the things i like about it is that it reminds me of the soft, watery blur ive seen in some feathers."

Feathers... yes!!! I knew there was something that they reminded me of that I couldn't quite think of... feathers...

What a beautiful thought Frieda. And Xerielle, the image has so many gorgeous possibilities for us to consider as we spend time with it. I've been back several times already... what a gift you have shared with us...

Xerielle
06-03-2003, 03:22 PM
marc~ Hi! I don't really try to control the process. It's more like I let the paint do what it wants & then I just sit back & see if it's done something I like. This seems to be working for me for now.
The secret ingedient is is various pieces of paper used in lieu of brushes. I appreciate you taking the time to look & comment!!!!

Adrienne~ :) Hey! It's been awhile. I hope your well! Thank you so much for all your kind words. They mean so much to me. You write with such beauty & passion & seem to see & put into words everything I am trying to express with my paintings. From the bottom of my heart I thank you. :)

frieda_maye~ hello! I definitely got a forest feel from this one. (Thus the title) It also reflects my perception of my work, great in small doses but too much will make you sick! Thanks so much for taking the time to check it out & comment. :)

Tamana
06-03-2003, 04:31 PM
Xerielle! I'm in heaven. You're right up here too. Vunderbar!! It's like driftwood to me, petrified with her secrets.

How ya been?

Shalom,

Tam :)

Xerielle
06-03-2003, 04:47 PM
Tamana~ Hi! I am doing Great! Did you make it to Mexico? I have my first show coming up June 28th so I am pretty excited about it.
It's a group show with some of my poet friends. Right now I should be framing some work but I have missed wc & desperately needed to connect with my wc friends. (such as yourself)

So how have you been!? :)

~Xerielle

Tamana
06-03-2003, 04:55 PM
Good for you!! Take lots of pics for us!!! I'll get around to viewing them at some point!! I'm great!! Had our mission's banquet in Charlotte last night!! My plans are altering and shifting quicker than time!! I can't keep up now! I love being totally out of control!!

I have two brand new t-shirts!! One is yellow!!! :D

Good luck if I don't see you again, just sweeping through!! Glad I caught ya!!

Shalom,

Tam :)

surreal
06-03-2003, 11:38 PM
Everything about it works extremely well.
I love the diagonal movement!
Very fine painting.