PDA

View Full Version : Silent film star - fabric

diane555
06-01-2003, 10:00 AM
Good morning all.

I started Lupe In Color last year for Bobby's Silent Film Stars SND (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=34510) and just finished her last week.

My style and techniques have changed dramatically since I began this one but I love it because it was my real cross-over from traditional art quilts to what I am doing now. It isn't hanging very straight because it hasn't been 'blocked' yet (dampened and straightened). The pearls on her wrist and neck are real fresh water pearls...I can't resist a great sale on pearls :D

My old WIP if anyone is interested: SND - Lupe Quilt (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=34620)
Thanks for looking :)

Di
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2003/4220-lupe_in_color.jpg
and a detail:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2003/4220-lupe_2.jpg

surreal
06-01-2003, 10:09 AM
It is grand!!!

Adrienne
06-01-2003, 10:39 AM
Awesome :D :D :D

Wow -- speechless....

Give me a minute...

I think that I love the mysterious blue/teal/mauve/violet muted background behind the figure the most. It is gorgeous. Could you give us a detail?

jenna_searcher
06-01-2003, 11:10 PM
oh man....what intricate detail! i am impressed beyond words. well done. :)

lspinella
06-02-2003, 07:25 PM
you gotta love someone who takes an "old fashioned" art form and makes it contemporary and new. I love it. My sister has been making quilts for years and I have been forwarding her some great ones I've seen here but this one is lovely and takes my breath away. I forwarded the link to her. I'm sure she'll be inspired.

M.A.
06-02-2003, 08:51 PM
I love it! This is fantastic!!! :clap:

Tamana
06-03-2003, 05:18 PM
This is fantastic! Absolutely!! You've taken quilting to a new level!! Praps I can get a pic of mine at some point in my life (been meaning to since j'net posted the first of her quilt series). The figure to the right balances the large border with the small on both sides perfectly. Well done!!!! The contrast of quilting patterns is my favorite!!!

Shalom,

Tam :)

Ivyleaf
06-03-2003, 07:52 PM
Diane,
You have truly outdone yourself.

I'm so glad to see this finished piece...I'm in awe of your talent and patience!!!

What a truly great work of art, I just love it!

:D :D :D
Ivy

marc
06-03-2003, 09:23 PM
I'm with everyone here on the superlatives :D

I've never liked the quilts I've seen before.. but if these are quilts I guess that means I like quilts now. ;) I see them more as paintings that transcend the regular materials and become tangible on a different level.. a bit in the vein of finely woven carpets.. I really like your style, it seems totally unique to me - either way I've been missing out :D

How large are these and do you hang them or use to snuggle up under? ;)

KimsWeb
06-22-2003, 11:12 AM
diane555,

That is absolutely awesome! :)

Nisha
06-22-2003, 01:18 PM
Lovely! Proves that a medium is limited only by our own imagination!

Nisha:D

andyvry
06-22-2003, 01:41 PM
Dianne,

Last year I went to an art and craft fair and saw at first hand some quilt work on display and was truly fascinated by - and able to appreciate, the amount of detailing and craftsmanship that had gone into the making of them. Seeing this reminded me of that day.

This is quite stunning,,, beautifully effective use of color and fabric - and the close up shows up the amount of detail brilliantly. I admire your patience and skill in crafting something like this.
I imagine that the 'design' you've chosen will appeal to young and old alike.

Lovely to see.........Thanks for sharing.....:)

andy.

somerset
06-22-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Nisha
Lovely! Proves that a medium is limited only by our own imagination!

Nisha:D

could not say it better!

Simcha
06-22-2003, 08:16 PM
Beautiful!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

What a great piece! I like the contrast between "vintage movie star" and quilt, pearls and tiny flowers. Really nice stuff.