PDA

View Full Version : Lesser Goldfinches at the finch feeder--sooooooo excited!

AriadneArts
06-01-2003, 02:28 AM
One of two pairs visiting the feeder all the month of May. Female above:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2003/6306-DSCN0518_LesserGoldfinch_Male_Female.jpg

Male on his own:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2003/6306-DSCN0531_Lesser_Goldfinch_Male_(western_range).jpg

Hey, what does a guy have to do to eat a meal in peace around here?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2003/6306-DSCN0525_LesserGoldfinchMale.jpg

Nikon E5700. They kept letting me get closer and closer. I was finally only about 5' away.

bairam
06-01-2003, 02:50 AM
These are wonderfun shots Eileen. How nice that they don't seem to be frightened of you. They are so pretty.

DuncanBerenice
06-01-2003, 02:53 AM
Great shots Eileen

It's good when the birds get to know that you are no threat :D wll some of the Siskins over here believe it, I've been a matter of 2' away from the peanut holder and the Siskin stayed there - no camera of course :( as soon as I go get the camera they go shy on me :( :D

the past week, I've only been refilling my seed feeders every other day, so I'm presuming that more natural food must be coming available - so I think I'll stock up for the winter :D (it's only the beginning of summer too :confused: :D )

Duncan

TeAnne
06-01-2003, 03:03 AM
Gorgeous Eileen :D

I wish I had have got the 5700. :(

AriadneArts
06-01-2003, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by TeAnne
I wish I had have got the 5700. :(

Thanks, Te.

WHY??????? I feel bad now, because I knew you were worried about money and you seemed not to need the 5700 for distance shots, since you were taking macros, basically. So I did my best to convince you that the 4500 was what you wanted. What happened? Tell me why you don't like your 4500? I love mine! Right now, I have it set up with a CrystalVue lens for bird viewing. Just don't have the patience for dealing with the staticity of a tripod (yet). I tend to be more of a spontaneous shooter, it seems. :D

AriadneArts
06-01-2003, 03:52 AM
Thanks Maria and Duncan. Duncan, I know what you mean. Even if I startle them, if I stay (and even move up closer while they're gone) they come back in no time. It's great. :D

wintherstudios
06-01-2003, 05:08 AM
wonderful shots, well done! birds is so hard to photo. (anyone else notice they tend to run away when they see the camera hehe :cat: )

cavetroll

haggis63
06-01-2003, 06:58 AM
Beautiful birds Eileen. I get a real buzz when I get that close to the extent that photography takes 2nd place.

Alan

SunnyJon
06-01-2003, 07:56 AM
I love the DOF on these! Hey what's in the bag? I never saw lesser finches-look lots like goldfinches but a little duller I guess.I love that bag idea.:D :cool: :clap: :clap:

Bobby D
06-01-2003, 09:46 AM
These are gorgeous Eileen, I like the way #3 appears to be looking directly at you. It's as if he was saying "Ya' wanna join me?"

auntie_chaos
06-01-2003, 07:18 PM
Gorgeous birds. Love the color they give to my feeder in the summer when most of the birds are black, brown or grey with a few bluejays and cardinals mixed in. And their song is soothing (against the squaks of the starlings and blackbirds - esp when the babies are following the parents around asking for food.) Great photos!!!

jsr88
06-01-2003, 07:43 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:
I know JUST how you feel, Eileen! I've begun trying to bribe a few birds towards the house here in "the Pines" (as opposed to the River cabin.) I didn't really think it was possible since there seems to be a never ending supply of food for birds in this place. Within a few days of hanging my thistle seed sack, we had WILD CANARIES! (Otherwise known as American Goldfinches)

It would seem that the Lesser Goldfinches are just a wee bit smaller....but nonetheless just as WONDEFUL!

Great shots, Eileen!! Congratulations!

(P.S. Sunny...if you get to Wally World, they carry the Finch bag feeders.)

AriadneArts
06-01-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by SunnyJon
I love the DOF on these! Hey what's in the bag? I never saw lesser finches-look lots like goldfinches but a little duller I guess.I love that bag idea.:D :cool: :clap: :clap:

Sunny, what's in the bag is "Niger" seed, a kind of thistle seed. Altho' nowadays "politically correct" anal retentives spell it NYJER seed. PULEEEZE. (My son [whose father is black] says "Don't these illiterates know that the "N" word has 2 "G's" in it?") Next thing you know, Nigeria will have to change the spelling of it's nation's name, as well as that of the Niger River. Oy vey!!!!!

I also have a "house" feeder in which I mix the Niger seed with a special finch seed mix. They all love it too. The bags are refillable, and they keep the jays, doves and other gluttonous bully birds away from the wee finches. Of course, I've got lovely platforms of wonderful stuff for those larger birds too. Also, I've now gotten the squirrels their own feeder. (HAD to, the lil devils.) I fill it with squash and pumpkin seeds, peanuts, and dried corn on the cob, as well as our loquats, which are abundant this year. They love it and it's kept them away from the bird platforms. Also, the Jays can't make off with all the peanuts before the squirrels get to them. Everybody's learning to "share." :D

I just hate coming in from my garden anymore. I've got my own wildlife show out there. The EZ up canopy is set up now, there's a Moroccan rug on the brick floor, the 100 year old 7' long glider is cushioned up again, along with a few easy chairs and a coffee table. We've put the Moroccan lanterns out there for candlelight at night. It's heavenly. I've even got a wee tv (5" but color!) for Oprah or the news on occasion. Maybe I'll have to drag the laptop out there (heaven forbid!). :eek:

Thanks everyone else, too, for your kind comments.

SunnyJon
06-01-2003, 10:19 PM
Eileen & Julie-Don't you have a problem with thistles growing in your yard? My neighbir put thistle seed out & got a million thistles growing; which are a big bother when they fill up a yard that can't be mowed because of the rocks!:confused:
I'm assuming Niger seed is thistle-right?

jsr88
06-01-2003, 10:27 PM
Eileen & Julie-Don't you have a problem with thistles growing in your yard? My neighbir put thistle seed out & got a million thistles growing; which are a big bother when they fill up a yard that can't be mowed because of the rocks!:confused:

Sunny, I haven't any trouble with growing thistles at all. And last year I dropped a full feeder from a second story window...sunflowers, on the other hand, grow BEAUTIFULLY! :D

As for the Niger Seed (:D I already knew how it was pronounced ) I haven't the faintest idea. About all I know is those little beauties seem to be able to find it no matter WHERE I hang it.

Sunny...you might want to try it in an area where you *can* mow...just in case it *really* likes your yard. ;)

geckonia
06-01-2003, 10:32 PM
I was wondering what you'd come up with this evening... these are excellent!!!!!

PS... any bird with YELLOW as it's main color is my favorite! :clap:

AriadneArts
06-02-2003, 12:32 AM

Sunny, this is a different variety of thistle--not the impossibly weedy and invasive kind. Tomorrow, I'll do a search of my books and find out what the exact variety is.

bairam
06-02-2003, 01:15 AM
Well I'll have to mark this thread as very informative. I've just learned a lot about how to feed birds and squirrels and keep everyone happy and living in peace. LOL

Eileen your outdoor area sound just great. I love the Moroccan theme, so romantic.

Now what was the subject of this thread????

Oh yes...The Lesser Goldfinch, another wonderful bird that I wish I had in my yard. My mom had one visiting her but it came for the nectar that she had out for the hummers. Perhaps that's a different type. She called it an Oreal but it looked a lot like this one, just a little more yellow.

Now when you hang the feeders for these birds, is it advisable to hang them from a tree, where the bird will feel more protected. I'm thinking I need to put out more feeders and under the plum tree would be a great place.

We don't have squirrels so they wouldn't be a problem. Would open platforms be the best way or those funny net feeders that you have here. I suppose it depends on what one wants to attract. I'll take whatever comes.....

We do have one feeder box in the front yard and Tom fills it with the seed mix that you pick-up at Costco or Yardbirds, but I'm thinking maybe we are putting out the wrong thing. He also puts out peanuts in the shell for the scrub jays that we have, which keep all other birds away. But in the back yard where the plum tree is may be just the place for another feeding station for all sorts of birds.

We do also have dove and garden wrens, which seem to like feeding at ground level. They could help keep the thistle seeds in check.

I need to learn more about the birds that we do have here and what will attract them. Something that Taylor and Grandma can learn together. A fun summer project.

All advise is welcome.

haggis63
06-02-2003, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by AriadneArts
thistle - .....the impossibly weedy and invasive kind.

Oi!!! That's our national flower your'e talking about. LOL - (Just kiddin') :D

Alan

AriadneArts
06-02-2003, 08:42 PM
Maria, my "technique" is a little bit for everyone. I have "bag" feeders just for niger seed. I've got five platform feeders which I fill with:

1. The usual millet infused supermarket mix with sunflower seeds ordinaire (non-oily striped kind).
2. A special "songbird" mix with a little better seed mix than just the supermarket variety which includes black oily sunflower seeds.
3. A "wildbird" mix to which I add my own separately bought black oily sunflower seeds.
4. A special finch mix of seeds to which I add niger seeds about half and half.
5. A total mix of wild bird seeds and black oily sunflower seeds which is in a feeder which is squirrel proof (YES, IT IS POSSIBLE). :D

In addition to all that, I've got 3 hummingbird feeders, six varieties of fuschia in hanging planters, calendula, coral bell, abuliton (chinese lantern), and a squirrel feeder. Squirrel feeder also feeds the jays (but only under the plexi, they don't know how to lift the hinged roof) and it contains, squash seeds, pumpkin seeds, ears of dried corn, peanuts and whatever fruit I deign to include--right now it's loquats, which we have an abundance of. They are all loving it.

Okay, that's what I do. But bear in mind, I'm hardly an expert. I've only been at this the last few years and have been expanding my repertoire each year as my interest demands and expands.

All other ideas, practices and suggestions will be eagerly gobbled up (by ME first, then the birds. :D)

bairam
06-02-2003, 10:18 PM
Thanks Eileen, that's a big help. Boy you really worked at this. So nice of you to share it with me and others that read this thread.

I'm printing it out and will show it to Tom and see what we might do.