PDA

View Full Version : pen and ink portrait tutorial???

IndigoRed
06-01-2003, 01:22 AM
Hi!!

Does anyone know of a website or a good book that has lessons in doing Portraits of People in pen and ink?? Ive been practicing with stippling animals and my practice is coming along but im wanting to do a portrait for my father in law for fathers day so im kinda pressed on time, and well im one of those artists that if im pressed on time im pressed on technique so i dont really know how im going to go about this. But i do know that i might want to add color to the inking when its finished just to give it a wholeness look, if that makes sense lol . I would greatly appreciate any advice and gladly accept emails .

[email protected]

and im hopeing that soon i will be able to post at least one of my finished pen and ink works soon :clap:

Thanks!!
Stephanie W.

artdude
06-01-2003, 09:46 AM
Hi Stephanie. A fellow artist I know does some really good portrait work in ink. I will leave a link to his tutorial below. Haven't seen many books out there for ink portraits so I can't recommend any to you. Let us know how you make out with your portrait :) Look forward to seeing some of your ink art :D:)

Pen & Ink Portrait Tutorial by David Lawrence (http://carol.nuvox.net/dolphin//howto/)

IndigoRed
06-01-2003, 01:47 PM
Hi artdude!

Thanks for the link, Ive been to that site a couple times and i like the way he set up his tutorial, but im really trying to go for a more softer look , even know im doing this in pen, but i think it can be done, i experimented lastnight with my inks trying to make a "not black" color to use i came up with three differant greys, and actually made a paynes grey so there will be no black in my portrait, except maybe in the background but i think im gonna go for a more green/black than straight black. I finally figured out the key to making the inks go lighter (lots of water) without trying to add white, as it is to opaque and usually doesnt mix well without having to stir the ink constantly. i did come up with a couple of flesh tones in ink, since im low on watercolors.
Im using Bombay inks and Liquid acrylic by Dr. ph martin.

The liquid acrylics are a tad darker than the bombay inks, but work just the same, with a half bottle of liquid acrylic, you could easily get another bottle of ink without changing the color by adding water to the acrylics when your running low.

Oh the wonders of ink! im learning so much and having so much fun. Plus im using dip pens which take alot more control and patients but its worth it , i have to use a magnifying glass for the dots i get from the finest tip i have.

Im hopeing to get my tiger that i did up here soon, im checking out digital cameras today. And as soon as im done with the portrait i will get it up here also. Thanks so much for the encouragment:cool:

Stephanie W.

MonicaB
06-01-2003, 02:34 PM
Stephanie, you are a brave soul! I think portraits in ink are hard to do. And it sounds like you are not only going to use color for it, you're under a tight deadline! I think I have a new hero(ine). Can't wait to see your tiger and your portrait.

slatter
06-02-2003, 06:07 PM
Thanks artdude for the link. I have a similar interest.

Jerry

drwells
06-02-2003, 07:10 PM
Can't wait to see what you come up with....Um Steph, you could post a work as a work in progress (WIP) hint hint

Danny

IndigoRed
06-02-2003, 07:34 PM
LOL! You guys are great, and you have nooo idea, (ok maybe you do) on how hard it is to keep from chickening out on this project:crying: ........but im not gonna , I have 2 weeks, and i think that im not just gonna limit the portrait to stipples (as we all know you can go blind if this is done wayyyy to much :rolleyes: )

i have decided to go with crosshatch, stipple and maybe some dry brushing, ive found that the greys ive made do wonders to soften the facial features, (my father in law is not the young man he used to be) so makeing all the charming laugh lines with grays will not make him look to ummmm how should i say ........aging??? lol and with the combination of thin flesh color ink (which is a pain in itself to make) washes, it blends perfectly to make the dots look like shadows instead of really tiny black dots.

You know , i better stop while im ahead or this will end up being a Novella :rolleyes: ,

I wish i could post WIP, but my digital camera that i had was lost in moveing from missouri to oklahoma in febuary so now im having to count on others for a camera or scanner and i just havent found the right one to use and im sure you all know what thats like. I will diffanatly get the tiger up here this week, the portrait is still in the experimenting phaze. tho im just gonna have to bite the bullet soon and start it cause im running out of small watercolor paper. grrrrrrrrr so much to dooooo ............lol

Ok ill see you all back here in a couple days or so , cross those paint brushes for luck,

Stephanie W.

IndigoRed
06-04-2003, 05:23 AM
GRRRRRRRRRRR.........GRRRRRRRRR.........and more.GRRRRRRRRR!!

Did anyone know that if you use white ink to correct a mistake that is IMPOSSIBLE to put a wash of color over it!????

my portrait that ive been working on for 10 hours straight now (with some damn good progress i must say) is now ruined :crying:

I had tested my new flesh color i made with two differant colored inks and water on a scrap piece of watercolor paper and i was thrilled that i had gotten a good match not only for an skin color, but that it look so cooool over my stippling...........just for the color to run off the white ink and now it looks like there are white scratches in my father in laws face :crying: !!!

My Vow :evil:
I will get this portrait done, if i have to redo it 10 times!

My disapointment :crying:
dont think it will be done in time for fathers day.

but i still have hope :angel:

sigh....................

its 4:30 am and im going to bed........

Steph W.

MonicaB
06-04-2003, 07:52 AM
Oh, how frustrating! But I am sure that he will be thrilled with it, whenever he does get it. Hang in there!:D

Jakeally
06-04-2003, 11:04 AM
Oooooh! What a bummer Steph:crying: :crying:
All you can say is that you have learned a valuable lesson.
Thank you so much for passing the info to us. I haven't used white ink yet and you can bet your bottom dollar I would have made the same mistake.

Good luck with the next portrait:cat:

IndigoRed
06-14-2003, 03:43 AM
Alrighty all :rolleyes:

As we all know, i made vow..............to finish my father in laws , fathers day present BY fathers day...........lol

well, i will say this, it will be done, but its not going to be in pen and ink <insert big sigh here>

instead i could only get a pencil work of it done, why you might ask?

Well it seems the art faits are against me this time, my daughter had to go to the doctor because of some odd looking red rash on her face, its nothing serious tho so no worries, but she has been my shadow ever since lol............which is cool, considering everytime i do art she must follow lead lol. Her father made the mistake of asking me (in front of his daughter i might add) if this rash would scar , ya shoulda seen the look on her face, so now she promptly comes to me every four hours for the medication to put on her..................but the good news is, my father in law has a digital camera :clap:
I will be able to finally post my tiger, and probably the portrait , then you all can imagine with YOUR artists eye what it would have been like in pen and ink lol like i do..............alot...........lol <wishful thinking is never far>
I should be able to post new works up here in the next couple days or so............thanks for all the encouragement from everyone.............maybe next time ;)

Steph