PDA

View Full Version : My Very First Hummingbird Pic

OhThatGirl2001
06-01-2003, 12:37 AM
I was so excited today. I've been waiting for months for the hummers to come. I finally had visitors today!!!!

This first one is of a baby. I believe this is a juvenille Rufous.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2003/10053-First-Hummingbird-2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2003/10053-First-Hummingbird-1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2003/10053-First-Hummingbird.jpg

Lisa

bairam
06-01-2003, 01:32 AM
Lisa
These are great. What a cute little bird. You patients paid off.
Good work:clap: :clap: :clap:

DuncanBerenice
06-01-2003, 02:46 AM
Greats Shots Lisa :D #1 is my favourite the other 2 very close behind :D

now if only we had these little fellas over here :D mind you, with my digital camera I'll have more of feeders and flowers than hummingbirds - my camera has a mind of its own :( :D

Duncan

TeAnne
06-01-2003, 03:04 AM
WOW. beautiful Lisa :clap: :clap:

OhThatGirl2001
06-01-2003, 03:25 AM
Thanks All!

Tiny little guys aren't they! I love the one's Sunny gets. The colors are amazing. I forgot to mention... these were taken from inside - through my kitchen window.

Lisa

labang
06-01-2003, 05:54 AM
Great Lisa... you did a wonderful job shooting through your kitchen window, they are gorgeous. You must have a good zoom on your cam.

Elly

haggis63
06-01-2003, 06:30 AM
Great stuff Lisa, you must be happy with these! - I'm swaiting for good atlantic storm to blow a few hummers over to Scotland :D

Alan

SunnyJon
06-01-2003, 08:12 AM
Aren't the tiny ones just darling? I love them Lisa! Don't you get Ruby-throats there? BTW through the window? Alright Lisa! I love the colors in the background in the last one sets him off nicely and the DOF in these are right on the money!:D :cool: :clap: :clap: :clap: A hard to photo-fast subject done great!:D

Bobby D
06-01-2003, 09:28 AM
These are terrific photos beautiful shots. That fluffy baby in #1 is absolutely adorable.

geckonia
06-01-2003, 10:37 AM
YOY DID IT!!! And what a cute litte fluff ball she is! :clap: Can't wait to see some more. You must be so thrilled!!!!!

jsr88
06-01-2003, 12:21 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:
I'm SO proud FOR you!!!
WAAAAA HOOOOOOOO!!!

Great shots! Can't wait until I get some feeders (and the Skeeters are ALL in the bag! :evil: )

OhThatGirl2001
06-01-2003, 01:23 PM
Yup - I'm a happy camper. I'm just thrilled they've found my feeder - the bonus is of course, that I can photograph them. They are tiny and precious.

I've always had an obsession with hummingbirds since I was very young. I remember the first thing I ever painted with oils was a hummingbird on a flat stone I found on Vancouver island. Then last summer while I was ill, I had one come to me at the window. So for me... they symbolize my journey through life.

Lisa

FotoFrank
06-01-2003, 04:28 PM
Beautiful photos......and what patience you have.would love to know what equipment you use?
Frank

OhThatGirl2001
06-01-2003, 06:45 PM
Thanks Frank. I'm using the Nikon Coolpix 5000 with a 3x teleconverter attached. Ideally, I would like to get a cable release for my camera - as I really do love wildlife photography. Nikon produces a cable that is only about a foot long (or less I believe) and boy is Nikon proprietary with their product! - no other cables can be used other than what they've designed for their camera. I have read over at dpreview - of a snap-on "DigiSnap" by Harbortronics - that will allow you to use any cable release. Thereby, extending the length of the cable and is less costly. It basically sits on the bottom of the camera and has been designed not to interfere with the battery by being slightly shorter in length and also has a hole in it for the tripod. I think to get a sharper image however, I would need a shorter lens - even possibly my wide angle and to be about a foot away from these guys. I'm going to experiment with distance and lenses soon.

Lisa

auntie_chaos
06-01-2003, 06:50 PM
Great photos!! I've tried probably hundreds of times to get a decent photo of hummingbirds with no success. (of course for my place a good telephoto lens would help as the feeders and plants that attract them aren't close to my front porch where I usually take my photos). But even then I'd doubt I'd ever be lucky enough to get this good of a picture. Thanks for sharing!!!! (s)he is so adorable!

DraigAthar
06-01-2003, 09:15 PM
Aww, the baby is SOOOO cute, you must be so excited to finally get some hummers, AND to get photos of them!

Amy