PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Riot.... 2nd - 8th June

Mo.
05-31-2003, 07:39 PM
Here we go again folks another Pastel riot... It's my choice this time, hope you like what I've chosen for you.

There is no time limit on this, just select one or all of the pics shown and do your own artistic version of the reference pic.

I know this time of year you are all so busy, with the sun shining and umpteen jobs to do in the garden, like weeding, mowing the lawn, watering the plants, walking the dog, going to the beach, throwing a B-B-Q, or just lapping up the sun... but if you can find the time to paint, then why not paint one of these?.... Most of all have fun.:)

The first two pics are my own.

This one was taken in Bath City last year.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2003/5154-The_Sweet_shopsmall.jpg

Another taken by meself, the other side of that glorious sunflower:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2003/5154-sunflower6_sm.jpg

And last but not least..... Sundiver's boots. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2003/5154-sundivers_boots.jpg

Have fun, and don't forget the first person to post a painting, gets to host the next weeks Ript.

Cheers,
Mo.

Dark_Shades
06-01-2003, 05:04 AM
Great Pics Mo .......... gonna enjoy this one

sundiver
06-01-2003, 08:44 PM
I'm going to be incredibly busy this week , don't know if I'll manage the Riot, but they all look very tempting, even my old boots that I've already done in cp (but that was using 2 complementary colors only, in a project).
I'll probably only have time to lurk for the next 3 weeks, as we wind up to the end of the school year, but look forward to seeing what you come up with!

flower
06-02-2003, 03:44 AM
Hi Mo,

Love your choice of pics, especially the sweet shop, mmmm all those goodies................................., think i might just try sundivers boots LOL

Mikki Petersen
06-03-2003, 07:24 PM
So what's up here? Everyone trying not to be the first to post? I'm just trying to get this thread back on top. I'm doing the sunflower...what's everyone else doing?

Mikki Petersen
06-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Well, heck! This sunflower photo was too good to pass up and I'm to pleased withthe results not to post it, so....

Sunflower
Pastel
8x10 Suede mat board, dark aqua
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2003/14550-sunflower-a.jpg
The suede mat board forces me not to blend with fingers. At the same time the fuzzy surface allows blending by changing pressure with the pastel sticks.

rd2ruin
06-04-2003, 12:33 AM
Mikki! Love the yellows! Makes me want to look at the picture longer, and make my own mental picture of what it looks like from the front. :)

Cheers!
- Greg

Dark_Shades
06-04-2003, 03:57 AM
....... Sorry if Im not responding to threads and emails ......... Ive been plagued with worm virus's ..... cookie monsters...... NO EMAILS..... and so on ...... so Im having to try and limp into WC and go look for new postings.............

Ohhhhhhhh Mikki, this is absolutely WONDERFUL!!! ......... love it ........ no wonder you are pleased with this....... good one
:clap:

I wasnt too sure on this photo at first, as you couldnt see the beautiful yellow........... you have done an absolutely splendid job

Roni Anderson
06-04-2003, 04:05 AM
Beautiful job Mikki!

Smudger
06-04-2003, 04:15 AM
Mikki...STUNNING!!:clap: :clap:

E-J
06-04-2003, 07:04 AM
Super sunflower Mikki. I love that soft effect you've got with the suede board :clap:

JamieWG
06-04-2003, 08:26 AM
Mikki, wow. I mean....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2003/13766-w_md_wht.gifhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2003/13766-o_md_wht.gifhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2003/13766-w_md_wht.gif

Fantastic job!

Jamie

mhimeswc
06-04-2003, 08:46 AM
Wow! That sunflower is fantastic! You did a great job making those green leaves and the greens on the back of the flower come forward.

Michelle

Mikki Petersen
06-04-2003, 09:11 AM
Thank you everyone for your kind remarks. The words of encouragement keep me bolstered to keep trying new things.

Mo.
06-04-2003, 10:08 AM
Mikki, I've had this photo and several others of the same flower since last year ~ it's been screaming "PAINT ME!" all this time and still I haven't done anything with it, was hoping and hoping that someone would tackle it and do it justice ~ You have not only done that, you have done an absolutely fabulous job with it ~ so many paintings of sunflowers from the front, but the leaves behind the flower to me are just beautiful ~ gosh Mikki, this is one exceptionally grogeous painting ~ now if you sell it ......remember little ole me :D:D:clap: :clap: :clap:

cheers,
Mo.

flower
06-04-2003, 05:05 PM
Hi Mikki,

This is just wonderful, its beautiful, ive seen similar in watercolour but this tops the lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mikki Petersen
06-04-2003, 06:10 PM
I'm overwhelmed! Thank you all so much! It is nice to be back at the easel and this is a terrific welcome back!

angeline
06-04-2003, 07:19 PM
Mikki you really have done that sunflower well.......wow its just so compelling i have to keep going back to look at it it's beautiful.

Kathryn Wilson
06-04-2003, 07:34 PM
I am in awe - I thought about doing this one, but wasn't quite sure how to capture the "fuzzies" - the velvet board was the ticket. Just wonderful work!

Mikki Petersen
06-04-2003, 07:53 PM
Angeline and Kat, thank you so much for your comments and taking the time to look.

sundiver
06-05-2003, 02:37 PM
Mikki, that is absolutely gorgeous!

Well, I had a real lunch hour today, and should have used it to catch up on work, but got out a piece of manilla tag instead, and went at it with o.p.s and ink. It's around 7x9.

Mikki Petersen
06-05-2003, 02:48 PM
Wow! Sundiver that is beautiful and done so quickly, too. Must be nice to have the ability to whip something up like that. Good for you!

Kathryn Wilson
06-05-2003, 08:17 PM
Here ya go Mo:

Thought I had the perspective thing beat, but encountered problem with sill - engineer hubbie helped - maybe. LOL

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2003/14941-sweetshop2.jpg

sundiver
06-05-2003, 09:12 PM
Oh, Kat, I like this. I was intrigued by that photo but couldn't think how to go about it in pastel. I love the way you've suggested the jars of candy.
(BTW, I have an engineer here as well. An interesting combination, isn't it?:D )

Kathryn Wilson
06-05-2003, 09:26 PM
Sundiver: It is an interesting combination - engineer and artist. I almost cringe when "Mr. Straight Lines" looks at my stuff. I say "it's an artist's perogative" - hee hee.

Thanks for the comments - the lettering was fun too - opted out on the chiseled lettering for good reason.

:cat:

Roni Anderson
06-06-2003, 01:56 AM
Kat & Sundiver - another artist and engineer here as well. For some reason it really works doesn't it?:D My dh engineer is one of the best supporters I have!

Kyle - wonderful job on the sweetshop - you have captured the mood and texture of the not only the photo, but the delicious thought behind the theme as well. Refreshing reflections in the glass as well. Keep up the good work!

Nice job on the boots sundiver - free and spontaneous!

Mikki Petersen
06-06-2003, 02:32 AM
Kyle, great painting! Must be nice to have a trained eye to offer help on those perspective dilemmas. I looked at that photo and loved it but knew I would get so bogged down in detail I would never finish it. You, on the other hand, have done just the right combination of detail and suggestion in a very painterly fashion. Really a lovely piece!

Kathryn Wilson
06-06-2003, 08:17 AM
Roni: There must be something to it - I have met so many couples with the artist/engineer combination. Quiet and supportive is my dh. Thanks for the kind comments - if dh hadn't come along and told me to stop I will still be picking away at it.

Mikki: I admire many of your works as well - I am continually astonished at the wealth of talent and kindness in the pastel forum.

little dreamer
06-06-2003, 02:02 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2003/8523-pastel_first_week_of_june.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2003/8523-window_clsose_up.jpg
~Sennelier soft pastels n' iridescent pastels~ 24"x20" this paper is new for me, it's on a roll from a broke down printer machine. i like the reference photos. but the window i like the best. i think the sunflower is very beautiful from the back view. nice colors in the shoes.
~still cant seem to get a better photo to show up~
Kyle your photo shows up so well. how you do it?
thanks.

E-J
06-06-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by sundiver
got out a piece of manilla tag instead, and went at it with o.p.s and ink. It's around 7x9.

Wendy ... the style of these op/ink pics is really distinctive ... I must go back to the earlier thread in which you told us how you do these ... like it very much!

Kathryn Wilson
06-06-2003, 06:07 PM
Lil Dreamer: We use a digital camera and save as a photoshop file. I think lighting is everything with these cameras - try to take a photo outdoors without a flash.

Hope that helps -

Mo.
06-06-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by sundiver
Mikki, that is absolutely gorgeous!

Well, I had a real lunch hour today, and should have used it to catch up on work, but got out a piece of manilla tag instead, and went at it with o.p.s and ink. It's around 7x9.

Wendy I love it, I started on your boots tonight.... not ready to post yet, hope to finish tomorrow. I'm off to town tomorrow, must put indian ink on my shopping list, I do like the effect.

cheers,
Mo.

Mo.
06-06-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by kyle
Here ya go Mo:

Thought I had the perspective thing beat, but encountered problem with sill - engineer hubbie helped - maybe. LOL

WOW Kat~ you've done a fantastic piece of work here. ~Super ~ I've saved this one, love it. :clap:

Cheers,
Mo.

Kathryn Wilson
06-06-2003, 07:02 PM
MO : I am really flattered that you like it, Mo. I am a big admirer of your OP's and your talent.

:D

Mo.
06-06-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by little dreamer
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2003/8523-pastel_first_week_of_june.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2003/8523-window_clsose_up.jpg
~Sennelier soft pastels n' iridescent pastels~ 24"x20" this paper is new for me, it's on a roll from a broke down printer machine. i like the reference photos. but the window i like the best. i think the sunflower is very beautiful from the back view. nice colors in the shoes.
~still cant seem to get a better photo to show up~
Kyle your photo shows up so well. how you do it?
thanks.

Hey little dreamer, what a great artistic interpretation of the original ~ good on you ~ you have a great imagination and flair!

Well done!:clap:

cheers,
Mo.

little dreamer
06-06-2003, 07:23 PM
~thanks mo, when i went back to look at the original photo seems i added a top row of jars that weren't there and forgot to add the letters on the sign.
~kyle , thanks for the advice. i meant to say mine was less than 550,600. and came out a little unclear. your windows came out more clear. i had a sizeing trouble before but now with new program i have to learn again~

Dreams-of-Flight
06-07-2003, 04:43 AM
Hi Roni, Kat & Sundiver

My other half is an engineer too. I agree, engineers have a very different take on art - it took mine ages to understand and appreciate the value of artistic licence lol. Its quite useful that he sees art so differently, if I'm stuck on something his opinion can be very helpful, a combination of amazing spatial awareness (from fixing fiddly tiny things often with touch as his only sense), and the "its only good art if I can tell what it is" mentality...very refreshing. (He's actually starting to like some abstract stuff now). He is always interested in my working methods, and asks lots of questions about art, my biggest fan definitely.

Watching him have to rub shoulders with snooty art critics at exhibitions is always fascinating in a nervewracking way, they instinctively recognise & look down on each other in a very primitive way. He has been a real gentleman about it though, and refrained from punching or headbutting even the most condescending. Considering that he has a higher IQ and earns more than most of these folks looking down on him I think he is very tolerant, but I suppose it shows why there is often such a barrier between "art" and the general public?

Lisa

Dark_Shades
06-07-2003, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by Dreams-of-Flight
Watching him have to rub shoulders with snooty art critics at exhibitions is always fascinating in a nervewracking way, they instinctively recognise & look down on each other in a very primitive way. He has been a real gentleman about it though, and refrained from punching or headbutting even the most condescending. Considering that he has a higher IQ and earns more than most of these folks looking down on him I think he is very tolerant, but I suppose it shows why there is often such a barrier between "art" and the general public?

Lisa

LOLOLOL ........ love it :clap:

Dark_Shades
06-07-2003, 02:26 PM
....... just a quickie, and leaving this as is :) ....... gotta try the sweetshop

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2003/12116-OldFaithfuls.jpg

Dark_Shades
06-07-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by kyle
Here ya go Mo:

really nice n chunky ......... I like this alot

Mo.
06-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Hey Dawn, like your 'Old faithfuls' ~ I have a pair just like them :)

Did you do the Sweet shop afterwards? I started it tonight, it's at the gawd awful stage ~ dunno whether I'll finish in time, only just managed this one, I started it last night I hout and finished tonight, about 1. 1/2 hours I suppose ~ too much gardening and watching videos today to do much. ~~~~ and it's sunday tomorrow it's Mikki's turn! :D....hope she hasn't forgotten. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2003/5154-blue_shoes.jpg

Did anyone else notice that the perspective on the pic of the sweet shop is curved? Damn digital cameras.!! :)

cheers,
Mo.

Kathryn Wilson
06-07-2003, 07:06 PM
MO : LOL - I sure noticed when I did the perspective lines - had problems with the sill because the vanishing point went off the board and I did not have a straight edge long enough - but dh figured it out. He does this stuff all day long and saw the "oops" right away.

Nice boots by the way - were you in the blue mood last night?

Mo.
06-07-2003, 07:18 PM
Kat: ~ It's very often the case with perspective going far off the paper! :)
My Hubby is also an engineer~ a model engineer ~ I use his expert eye every time, he spots a mistake immediately ~ and even though I have a very good knowledge of perspective ~ I will still confirm things with him ~ even when painting wildlife, perspective comes into every subject.

As to the blue mood ~ yes I was :) Still am a little :(

cheers,
Mo.

Kathryn Wilson
06-07-2003, 07:57 PM
MO: Funny, that makes at least four of us with engineer husbands. Can't remember which thread it popped up in (I think it's this one??) - that I mentioned the perspective problem and that my dh helped me with it, and two other members posted that their dh's were engineers also. Kewl.

As to blue, anything you want to share?

:(

Mikki Petersen
06-07-2003, 09:14 PM
Love the boots Dawn! great job, lots of warm oclors for those old friends.

Mo. I like your boots also. I like the study in blue, too. And, no I have not forgotten it's my turn AGAIN...

sundiver
06-08-2003, 07:55 PM
Three nice works of art since I last peeked in here....little dreamer, well done- I was not brave enough to even try that one.
Mo, I see you picked up on the fact that the shoelaces don't match. I didn't notice it until I started drawing them...and they're MY boots lol. But I only use them for snowshoeing to the cottage in winter (road's closed and it's a kilometer through snow), so I'm not making any fashion statement. I like the blue effect.
And Dawn avoided the missmatching issue by leaving them out! But they are very authentic-looking. When I did them for a cp project my title was "Old Friends", and that's how yours look.