PDA

View Full Version : adobe illustrator and use of tablets!

techie
05-31-2003, 06:02 PM
Can anybody comment on the following. Is there anyone in here already using the adobe illustrator for drawing and painting with the computer. How about painshop 7? Even more important I would like to know who is already using the Wacom or any other tablets connected to your computer for drawing.

I looked at two tablets today and their prices vary from $99 to $400 dollars. The more professional type of Wacom states that the pressure on the pen is very high but the table surface was only 6" X 9". According to this professional version you could work on Photoshop with the "stylus" pen and use different types of pressures. Then you could select paints, oils, pencils, charcoal or many others.

I am interested in finding the specifics of these tablets and which one has more functionality and whether surface or not is important. I am assuming also that the better the resolution of your tablet, the better will your blending and painting of your stylus will work with your photoshop. Also I am assuming that if the stylus and tablet can be used with photoshop it can also be used with the Adobe Illustrator?

So please:
1- tell me the tablet you are using and the spec and model of tablet and (price range if possible, pixels for tablet etc.)

2-computer software besides photoshop which you might have found useful for computer drawing, painting etc....

Thanks a million for you comments, this is a great thread on all these topics!! wow!

K8Black
05-31-2003, 06:16 PM
Techie:

I have a Wacom tablet the Graphire 2 and it was $99 US. It does work in Photoshop and Illustrator. I am not an expert with it yet but I think it is very cool.

I am not a moderator but it seems that maybe you might want to post this somewhere else other than Watercolor Forum. Maybe Digital Art?? Someone will be along soon. Good luck with the tablet.

Kate

dspinks
05-31-2003, 06:34 PM
I have a Graphire 2, also. It is fine for the level of Photoshop that I do. But I think I would get the next higher level (Intuos2 ) if I was doing serious Digital art. Wacom got the best reviews for quality everywhere I looked. There is a lot of discussion about tablets in the Digital Art forum - just search for "tablet" there.

Debra

bookworm
05-31-2003, 09:37 PM
Photoshop 7, Painter 7, and Paintshop Pro 7, Illustrator, have not found anything it does not work well with, even played with Flash. When I can afford an Intous I will likely get one, but still the G-2 WILL do serious digital art in my opinion. I have had mine going on a year, have used it most every day, use it for my net surfing, not just my art, and have yet to scratch it or need to replace a nib. I am told I must have a light touch, other artist friends end up replacing their nibs and overlays.

The Wacom site has a great tips page for helping you configure your pen for each program. This was invaluable, especially for Illustrator.

(Provantage carries them online at an excellent price, and I got great service.)

I give it a 5 star rating!

book

NeilUnreal
05-31-2003, 10:20 PM
I have an older model 6x9 Wacom table with a pressure-sensitive duo-pen and I love it! (I bought it to replace an even older model that was stolen.) Though it's an older model, Wacom continues to support it with new software drivers when required. And Wacom keeps improving the drivers!

The small 6x9 size worried me before I got my first tablet, but then I discovered it's all that's really required to work at screen resolution. Whether you're zoomed in or out, you're always working on a rectangular view, and the 6x9 size mirrors typical mouse movement ranges.

I've never used it with Adobe Illustrator.

-Neil

techie
05-31-2003, 11:42 PM
I am very excited about the wacom 6x9 or as you call it the "intuoso2". I went to the wacom webpage and read some great reviews. Also it seems that it will be bundled with the Classic painter or painting program of Corel Draw.

From what I have also heard, the corel Draw Painter is quite a program!

Thanks again for all your replies and comments, I appreciate each of your comments very much.

Regards

BingoBong
06-01-2003, 06:56 AM
I dont have a tablet, i wish, but i have Illustrator. Besides Photoshop i am highly recommending it to you. From all the great works i saw on this site, I think that wacom is a good thing. Now if you can get it to work with Illustrator and you can convince me, then I would save some money and buy one too. All I can say now is: stick to Adobe. They are the masters. But then again, I said that before and some people pissed me off. Just because I happen to think some goodies are good. Fun, huh? That's the bitch of being here. Hell, go Illustrator and Photoshop. You da man/woman.

Martin.

bookworm
06-01-2003, 10:28 AM
and Photoshop for background

Illustrator works great with Wacom, just have to get the settings right. Did this a few months ago. I am by no means a master at Illustrator, just wanted to show that they work together beautifully. Oh, and the owl was painted in Painter 7.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2003/15658-Hogwartsgroup.jpg

book

NeilUnreal
06-01-2003, 09:52 PM
Hi-

I posted a few tablet samples to this form. Look for three threads started by NeilUnreal

-Neil

Wolrab
06-01-2003, 11:18 PM
I have the Intuos 2 4x5. I have a short stroke so the smaller tablet works well for me. Wacom just introduced the Intuos Platinum ( I wish I had that one).

techie
06-01-2003, 11:29 PM
NeilUnreal, thanks for posting what you did. I looked at them all and is what I suspected, harder to do at first than what I thought.

Bookworm thanks for you posting also.

I just bought the Wacom Table 2X6 and it is almost like learning Chinese, especially when you do not know know the program in came with, "Painter classic" by Corel. I intend to learn it. If you all have any book recommendation for learning this program let me know. Also because of NeilUnreal sketches I am looking at the software called "Poser" since I am revisiting anatomical studies for my sculpture and I think the Wacom tablet will help plus any software that deals with anatomy.

The Wacom tablet seems like an unbelievable tool, so I am giving myself a couple of months or so before even knowing how to handle. I just installed about two minutes ago and I am already striking brush strokes here and there . I tried going to the Wacom page bu their java applets do not seem to be loading.

I am sure there are plenty of tutorial in here to keep me busy for a while. Thanks to you all for your recommendations.

Regards

techie
06-02-2003, 12:03 AM
Please disregard my previous message.

I began to look at the "Classical Painter" tutorial and it will make sense. It will only be a matter of working with the software for a while and also in understanding the various settings of the pen.

I am excited and if this will open another venue for my creativity, the more power to it.

Thanks again for all your support and previous remarks.