PDA

View Full Version : Ink and Watercolor

Lamb43
05-31-2003, 12:19 AM
A little help please? I haven't really done anything with ink and watercolor since high school, and now I'm trying to 'expand my horizons' for an Art Project I've signed up for. I've done 2 practice pieces from the same photo I found in the reference library, and though I feel I'm making some progress, I'm not happy with what I've come up with so far.

The first piece I just took a wild plunge into. I did a pencil sketch, and then did it in ink (not very well either.) Then I painted it in with watercolors.

The second piece I did some reading and studying before I started. I did a pencil sketch first, as I did for the first one, then did it over with pen, using different texture and shading strokes such as stipple, etc. Then painted it with watercolors again. It's better, but not what I want.

:confused: HELP :confused: Any suggestions or advice gratefully accepted.

Here's my first attempt, crude as it is:

Lamb43
05-31-2003, 12:23 AM
This is the pen drawing I did for the second piece, and the photo from the reference library I'm using.

Am I using the right strokes for the texture and shading I want? Should I have used MORE strokes to define light and dark areas? I have a feeling the answer to this will be yes. Is there a particular stroke used for feathers?

Lamb43
05-31-2003, 12:25 AM
This is my second attempt painted with watercolors. It looks 'flat' to me, any advice on how to correct this?

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I've also cross posted this in the watercolor forum.

Jakeally
06-01-2003, 05:09 AM
This is a delightful reference pic and you are well on the way to a super picture.
I think you know the answers really:D
There is nothing wrong with your pen work, in fact you are getting that downy look very nicely. All it needs is a little more work on the shadows.
Check your ref pic and you will see quite a pronounced shadow between the two ducklings. The lower duck needs more pen strokes to darken him up (or another darker wash) and if you darken the beaks it would make a vast difference.
Keep at it....this is going to be a wonderful painting:clap: :clap: :cat:

Lamb43
06-01-2003, 06:28 AM
Thank you so much! :) I'm going to make the corrections you suggested for the shadows, and darkening the lower duck and beaks. I'll post my 'corrected' paintings after I'm done.

I have to say, the people here at Wet Canvas are wonderful. It's comforting to know there's a place I can turn to for support and advice, and my confidence is growing stronger everyday. I wish I'd found Wet Canvas a long time ago!

artdude
06-01-2003, 10:09 AM
I agree with Chris. Your ink work is pretty good on this. Besides the shadow that Chris brought up, you may also try to do your watercolor work first and then do your inking after that. Sometimes if you watercolor over the ink it muddies the ink a bit and you loose the sharpness of the ink. Look forward to seeing your next piece :D:)

BTDogMom
06-01-2003, 09:08 PM
Looks excellent so far!! :D