PDA

View Full Version : Traeth Llyfn

upthebloodytree
05-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Hi,

This is my latest painting in oils 600 x 300 mm on canvas covered board.
I am thinking a lot about composition at the moment so I would be interested in any suggestions where improvements could have been made. I am interested moving towards recognisable landscapes / seascapes but with an abstract element.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2012/226446-TRAETH_LLYFN-2.jpg

Traeth Llyfn. At the foot of steep cliffs, accessible only via a long flight of metal steps, Traeth Llyfn is a sandy beach on the Pembrokeshire's west coast between Porthgain and Abereiddi in West Wales UK. With no road access, it's a beach which never gets crowded even in the height of the summer. Traeth Llyfn translates as Smooth Beach !

Thanks,
Ray

tony1
05-03-2012, 07:55 AM
Very nicely done. One crit is that the water seems to be slightly running down hill toward use. Not quite sure what's causing the effect, or if it's just the photo.

Nice palette. I really like the looseness of the land.

arnieb
05-03-2012, 08:53 AM
Pleasing composition, colours and gentle movement. :thumbsup:
If you apply the 9 boxes approach to composition this would put the rock in sea on left as centre of interest. If that is your intention I would consider adding something to catch the eye - eg colour change, sea bird, spray? Arnie

Debzy
05-05-2012, 08:20 AM
I also like the movement and colours, however, i also feel the water runs on a downhill slope, and the line of rocks on the left front seem a little too regular perhaps, like sharks teeth? I feel that a bit of froth or waves through and over them would give it more authenticity? Also perhaps a little more of the orange in the sky reflecting as well as the pink? Just my opinion, and I do love the scene. i think the sky is particularly lovely. Well done. Cheers. Debs. =))

upthebloodytree
05-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Hi, and thanks for your comments. Yes the water does seem to have a slope !?
I haven't done much to change it though. I have lightened the orange in the sky to make it more the centre of interest and added a touch of orange reflection in the sea. Best regards to you all. Ray

Andrewcody
05-07-2012, 10:18 PM
The slope on the left I think is increased by the rocks running down out of picture quite markedly.

I was hoping to see some of the metal steps, those sound more interesting

Andrew

docsaro
05-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Great impasto.. like your composition.. Horizon looks bent..is that due to the photograph?

Saravanan.

upthebloodytree
05-08-2012, 02:36 PM
I've now spent ages trying to stop the sea running downhill.
Changed rocks in the corner and shapes in the sea.

Hi Saravanan, The horizon line is straight enough, I checked with a ruler !

Scary metal steps not really very paintogenic Andrew !

I will post latest version later.

Best Regards
Ray.

upthebloodytree
05-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Here it is again with some modifications.
I've tried to take into account most of your suggestions.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2012/226446-traeth_llyfn_-22small.jpg

Regards,

Ray