PDA

View Full Version : untitled abstract landscape

jolie
05-29-2003, 01:51 PM
Hi everyone,

I posted this anonymously in the critique forum, as it's completely different than my other work and I was hoping to get some critique that wasn't influenced by expectations based on familiarity. that was a mouthful, huh!? lol Well, 24 hours, 65 views later, and it's nearly off the first page with no comments, so I'm thinking I'm not going to get any and I might as well own up to the work. I've just cut and pasted the info from the critique forum, as I have some specific questions, but I'd be glad to hear any other constructive comments as well.

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: untitled abstract landscape
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Board
Dimension: 12x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a very different style for me, but it happened fairly easily. It's a landscape from my imagination, rather than a real subject, as I had no photographs handy. However, I'd like to tackle a real subject next, but stick with an abstracted view of it.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Did I accurately portray a feeling of a landscape? Is the style of this piece overdone, or did I manage to interject and individual style?
How is the composition and balance? Thanks!

jenna_searcher
05-29-2003, 03:46 PM
hi, jolie. i like this :) it reminds me of tulip fields..poppy valleys...
only comment is perhaps it is a little too half and half - know what i mean? if it were me, i'd have more sky and less flores :D lovely anyway.

edzstudios
05-29-2003, 05:31 PM
first of all, I like the piece. like the style and balance of colors, very expressive and vivid. as to criqitues however:
firstly, if you are going for a "landscape" the piece seems to come off a bit too flat. maybe add a sense of depth by varying the sky values more (darker toward the top, and lighter toward the bottom). also consider creating depth by making the flowers(?) in the foreground larger/more distinct/brighter and getting smaller/less distinct/softer as they move toward the horizon. remember arial perspective!
Secondly, I also agree that it seems a bit to "half and half" maybe moving the horison line either up or down would help.