PDA

View Full Version : paintings to make you feel

erickennedy
05-29-2003, 11:42 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2003/22656-cass03.jpg

an example from my recent series, "paintings to make you feel"
this series is sort of retired for a while, ive recently witnessed a shift in the subject matter that i paint. i tried a portrait using the same materials and techniques i use in the abstract pieces, and now im hooked on painting people.

oil and wax paper collage on canvas
diptych
about 48x68in.

erickennedy
05-29-2003, 11:46 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2003/22656-cass.jpg

"it's all about peace and love (paintings to make you feel)"
oil and wax paper collage on canvas
50x40in.

Kalibabe
05-29-2003, 11:55 AM
These paintings certainly had an effect on me...

They, to me, looked like a body stripped of its skin, like it had been flayed (is that the right term).

It felt almost painful looking at them, like i could see bone etc.... Made me squirm and feel uncomfortable in my chair...

VERY strong

Luzie
05-29-2003, 11:59 AM
They, to me, looked like a body stripped of its skin, like it had been flayed (is that the right term).

That's the same thing I felt/saw! How come...combination red/white?

erickennedy
05-29-2003, 12:28 PM
not really any deep meaing behind the color choices for me, usually i start with an idea od what colors i owuld like to use, maybe 1 or 2, then in hte heat of the moment i choose what i feel will best compliment htose colors and help my forms and shapes. thanks for the comments, thats all im realy asking for is what you feel. when i photograph my recent portraits, iwill post some to show what this series has sort of evolved into. thanks again!

Noble
05-29-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by erickennedy
not really any deep meaing behind the color choices for me, usually i start with an idea od what colors i owuld like to use, maybe 1 or 2, then in hte heat of the moment i choose what i feel will best compliment htose colors and help my forms and shapes. thanks for the comments, thats all im realy asking for is what you feel. when i photograph my recent portraits, iwill post some to show what this series has sort of evolved into. thanks again!
Nice stuff, been to your site. (the text is a little small but I run at a slightly higher resolution). I responded most to the work on there that has no form/object related painting in it.

I was curious about the Wax Paper and oil. I have used tissue paper and acrylic and was wondering about how the wax paper works with oil obviously. The oil sticks to it?

Looking forward to the portrait stuff...

scattered_showers
05-29-2003, 03:24 PM
More great works. Really like the top right one...You all need to check Eric's site out if you have not done so already.

arourapope
05-29-2003, 07:19 PM
aha! The Dead Squid! Good to see your work here. I wanna know about the wax paper too.
These are insanely powerful pieces. I like the direction you're going. I'm sitting up straight and paying rapt attention. Thanks for posting them.

Gar
05-29-2003, 07:33 PM
Good to meet you Eric. I envy your abilities with texture. These paintings grabbed my attention right away. I look forward to coming to know you and yer work better in da future.:)

Healer
05-29-2003, 09:59 PM
yes these really made me stand back. you asked what i feel. well my initial feelings were that these were people who felt they no longer had an identity, maybe because they had been subject to degradation and humilitaion of some type. the top left one especially gives me that feeling - looks like the face is being removed. will look at your website in the morning (it's bedtime here now). thanks for sharing.

Andy

somerset
05-29-2003, 10:27 PM
Saw people instantly. Wouldn't want to experience whatever they have as it was more than any should endure. So why do I find it beautiful instead of graphic?
Compelling piece.

artgorillagal
06-09-2003, 10:13 PM
Is there information about Oil and wax method. This is an awesome painting. It struck a chord in me that I didn't expect. Thanks!

amanda
06-10-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Kalibabe

They, to me, looked like a body stripped of its skin,

Me too! My first thought was 'gross, it's body parts or peices of meat'. It worked, you certainly made me feel something!!!:clap: