PDA

View Full Version : just playing :)

jumper
04-30-2012, 10:37 PM
Was playing around with some things tonight and I thought I would just throw it out there for you all to see.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2012/1021092-fun.jpg

jumper

jumper
04-30-2012, 11:48 PM
Here's an updated version of "just playing"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2012/1021092-fun2.jpg

Eraethil
05-01-2012, 12:47 AM
Coming along... what is the inspiration for your colours here?

briansommers
05-01-2012, 10:44 AM
much better photo.. needed and I see you took care of that..
a good photo makes all the difference.

... now about the painting.. I actually like this.. a bit on the "caffeinated" side of things for me but I like the edge work, helps me to rest when I get to uneasy from the busy middle areas.

jumper
05-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Coming along... what is the inspiration for your colours here?

Hi Eraethil,

My intent on the color choices was "power" Sometimes I use a "throw it in your face" kind of feeling, and this is one of them. There's probably too much yellow, but there are more differences in the yellow than the camera can capture.

jumper
05-01-2012, 12:25 PM
much better photo.. needed and I see you took care of that..
a good photo makes all the difference.

... now about the painting.. I actually like this.. a bit on the "caffeinated" side of things for me but I like the edge work, helps me to rest when I get to uneasy from the busy middle areas.
hi briansommers,

Thank you for the comments. I didn't realize that the first photo was so bad or I would have taken another. I'm using a cheap camera that's about 10 years old. The hardest part for me trying to get only the photo in the picture. The other bad thing is the built in flash. It washes out some things and even changes some colors. I wish I were better with the camera.

Thank you for the compliment on the painting. But I wish you would help me out on one of your comments. You said the middle areas are too busy? Can you tell me why you think they are busy? It's funny, but I really tried to calm things down on this one because of a "busy" comment on another picture. Is the busy part of the color choices?

thanks so much for the comments,
jumper

Katie Black
05-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Hi Jumper, I am happy to give you feedback on what I think about your painting...but do remember this is just my view...everyones view will be different. I think your colour combinations are good. There are three areas that jump out at me. Firstly the bottom right hand corner...you have a solid band of colour here that doesnt really support the rest of the painting, which is suggestive, this area could almost belong to another painting. The left hand side of the painting has a lovely band of orange with a little green and black, if this was mine I would bring that orange all the way back to the edge of the painting, covering up the white. Finally the "blue lollipop" running across the canvas creates a tangent which draws your eye up and out of the painting. I hope this helps.

jumper
05-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Hi Jumper, I am happy to give you feedback on what I think about your painting...but do remember this is just my view...everyones view will be different. I think your colour combinations are good. There are three areas that jump out at me. Firstly the bottom right hand corner...you have a solid band of colour here that doesnt really support the rest of the painting, which is suggestive, this area could almost belong to another painting. The left hand side of the painting has a lovely band of orange with a little green and black, if this was mine I would bring that orange all the way back to the edge of the painting, covering up the white. Finally the "blue lollipop" running across the canvas creates a tangent which draws your eye up and out of the painting. I hope this helps.

Hi Katie, Thank you for your feedback. Yes, I agree with the bottom right hand corner and planned to change it today and post again. It IS like it's from another painting.

Thank you so much for all your comments. I'm going to play with it some more and make some changes. I may have to have a nap first, lol.

timE
05-02-2012, 12:38 AM
I like this in some ways but I can't put my finger on why. I think it has an honesty about it. One thing that I would like to see you do with it is add some of the light blue from the end of the lollipop in between the two dark bars on the top left corner. As for tangent, I'm not seeing too much trouble here. I think the top right corner could use some clarification in terms of the tangent or where the small line connects to the big line. Might want to bring the black line from the < sign into a T and paint the yellow over the top small black line.

But it is all how you want to make it. Please follow your heart and do what it tells you to do with it. All we can do for each other is give our viewpoint. Art is up to its creator how its made. Your voice is your own in the end and that should be what you want to say with your art.

jumper
05-02-2012, 12:51 AM
I like this in some ways but I can't put my finger on why. I think it has an honesty about it. One thing that I would like to see you do with it is add some of the light blue from the end of the lollipop in between the two dark bars on the top left corner. As for tangent, I'm not seeing too much trouble here. I think the top right corner could use some clarification in terms of the tangent or where the small line connects to the big line. Might want to bring the black line from the < sign into a T and paint the yellow over the top small black line.

But it is all how you want to make it. Please follow your heart and do what it tells you to do with it. All we can do for each other is give our viewpoint. Art is up to its creator how its made. Your voice is your own in the end and that should be what you want to say with your art.
Hi timE, I must say that I feel the same way about the painting. It's the first time I've ever used a squeeze and it was fun to play with. It's been a while since I checked my mail and the painting has changed in the mean time. I'll post it here after talking.

Thanks for the great words of wisdom about following your heart. I have wanted to know how people thought about my paintings, but I'm probably at the tail end of experimenting for a while. After this, I will do something radically different and see what people think when I try to just be me. I've put a lot of time in today thinking about style. And I know that my style is getting closer to being "me" than ever before. It's a good feeling.

Here is the LAST version of "just playing". And thank you so much timE.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2012/1021092-fun3.jpg

Thanks to everyone who joined in on "just playing". You have helped me learn a lot.

briansommers
05-02-2012, 12:13 PM
yow! that is change up!
I think it has a lot more unity then it did before.. I like how the upper blue line now feels to me as if it continues underneath in both directions - I like that.

now I'm not sure I'm thrilled with those odd black and white shapes.. maybe I'm old fashioned but I like things like in odds, 1, 3 etc..

jumper
05-02-2012, 03:02 PM
yow! that is change up!
I think it has a lot more unity then it did before.. I like how the upper blue line now feels to me as if it continues underneath in both directions - I like that.

now I'm not sure I'm thrilled with those odd black and white shapes.. maybe I'm old fashioned but I like things like in odds, 1, 3 etc..

Thanks for the nice comments. I think the odd black and white shapes are the "elephant in the room", and no one has said anything until now.

I'm going to play some more with it and remove the "elephants". :)

jumper
05-02-2012, 11:08 PM
Hi folks,

Here's the new version of "just playing". Let me know what you think.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2012/1021092-fun4.jpg

Katie Black
05-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Hi Jumper, Nicely done!

jumper
05-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Hi Jumper, Nicely done!

Hi Katie!

Thank you. I'm going to call it done for now. This morning I looked at some new posts by other artist and I was humbled. I have no formal training whatsoever and most of the artist's work here is so wonderful. I'm glad I came here. I have certainly come to a place where I can learn and be exposed to wonderful art.