PDA

View Full Version : Highschool Assignment- Picasso

harmony
05-29-2003, 11:36 AM
Hey everyone,

I havent used pastels for years but in highschool we got given an assignment to do on some old famous artists. We had to give a detailed write up about the artist and draw our own version of one of their paintings/drawings. I ended up with an A+ on this assignment for my Picasso rendition. It was done in oil pastels (a medium i very much hate) of Picasso's famouse 'self-portrait'. I thought I'd post it to see what everything thinks compared to the original lol Afterall, I'm definately not a pastellist. I do hope to learn pastels one day and have a box of soft pastels somewhere that I cant find. Hopefully one day I will be posting something recent in this forum. Until then, let me know what you think of my Picasso rendition :D

harmony
05-29-2003, 11:36 AM
Sorry about the band scan. It shows up really dark on the left side for some reason. I dont think it was in the scanner properly. But you get the idea.

rd2ruin
05-29-2003, 11:56 AM
I love Picasso, and this is a dead on likeness of the original. No wonder you got an A+. Great job!

Cheers!
- Greg

harmony
05-29-2003, 12:09 PM
Thanks Greg. I think that was a much needed confidence boost. I've been a bit discouraged with my art progress lately. I stopped drawing after highschool and only just started again. But I was always very proud of that assignment :) And a charicature one of Keith Richards... my only other A+ at school but mum lost that assignment somewhere in the house or I'd post that too.

magnuscanis
05-29-2003, 12:26 PM
I can't remember the details of the original, but I think you've made a pretty good likeness to it. It definitely works as a portrait anyway.

What do you hate about oil pastels?

harmony
05-29-2003, 12:28 PM
I've never really had the chance to learn how to use oil pastels properly and for that reason they are very hard to get a good result from. I have this terrible habbit of trying to blend them like i do other pastels and that just results in a terrible mess. If i knew how to use them better i might like them. Might be a future challenge. Any tips?

magnuscanis
05-29-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by harmony
I've never really had the chance to learn how to use oil pastels properly and for that reason they are very hard to get a good result from. I have this terrible habbit of trying to blend them like i do other pastels and that just results in a terrible mess. If i knew how to use them better i might like them. Might be a future challenge. Any tips?

Don't try to blend them like other pastels. :D

Seriously, I'm not an oil pastel expert by any stretch of the imagination, and I haven't had any formal instruction in how to use them. I did read in one book a suggestion that they should be used in a more linear, drawing kind of style (with shading achieved by hatching) rather than trying to blend them or lay down smooth patches of colour. On the other hand I have seen people get a wide range of effects out of them. You can blend them quite well by using white spirit (or, presumably, turpentine) on a bit of rag. I managed to get some quite nice effects by only blending part of the picture.

I really should get round to using my oil pastels again sometime soon. I quite like the medium but I don't use them very often. I'm thinking of getting some soft pastels as well. I know even less about those. :rolleyes:

Artaholic
05-29-2003, 04:17 PM
Harmony, nice job. He did some great works in his blue period also. My preferences.
You should look on some back pages of the forum at Mo's flower in the oil pastels she used some great ideas on blending with oil pastels.
Dig out those soft pastels they are so much fun
:clap: :clap: On the good grade.well desreved!

Gerry

harmony
05-29-2003, 09:03 PM
Thankyou both for commenting and the advice also. I would love to have a go with my soft pastels, but i havent for the life of me a clue where they are. My auntie gave them to me back in highschool and they were in a box with some other art materials and books. Everything else is on hand, those pastels are hidden somewhere deeper lol

Petdevils
05-29-2003, 11:29 PM
Dude, this is cool. I've always been afraid of pastels too, i also like the idea of soft pastels over oils as they sound more like charcoal..eg powdery etc........ but i can't afford to buy some just yet........ I really like your painting especially since this is a medium u hate! I have attached an image of the original, it's his self portrait from 1907, oils on canvas........ you did an excellent job of copying it and like yours better cause his was more of a sketch and you've finished it properly...... he always has a strange egyptian look to me... funny but talented man ;)

http://cgfa.sunsite.dk/picasso/picasso15.jpg

harmony
05-29-2003, 11:50 PM
Heya PD,
Thanks for taking a look and for posting the original. I havent seen that for years. I think i needed some greens through the shirt area lol And a more orangey skin tone, but apart from that i'm still pretty proud of this and thats rare for me :D

Petdevils
05-31-2003, 06:27 AM
nah its all good.... did u draw this on the back of a class hand out sheet or an invoice or something?

harmony
06-02-2003, 06:42 AM
Somewhere in the back of my art journal that year... probably with the written part of the assessment on the back lol Our assignments always went at the back of the journal.

kare
06-02-2003, 05:02 PM
Harmony;

I remember this one! Oil pastels can be mixed with water.. They turn out like a paint that you use with your fingertips. Try it.. Alot of fun!

maverick
06-02-2003, 09:56 PM
Cool. Nice job. I did a similar assignment in High School. It was a different self-portrait I think, but it was Piccaso. Wish I still had the painting. It was water based paint on paper, the same kind you get in Kindergarten...the round paint disks.

harmony
06-02-2003, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the tip Ciarrai but I now have a set of watercolours to experiment with and my tin of derwent colour pencils. :D Mum got me the watercolours as a gift. Dont know how i'll go with those.

Maverick, I think i know the paints you're talking about. I always hated paint in school. I prefered to work in pastel... soft pastel or pencil however this assignment I did at home and so the first thing i found on hand was oil pastels lol It turned out pretty well so I guess they're not as bad as i thought.

kare
06-02-2003, 11:48 PM
goodluck

harmony
06-02-2003, 11:57 PM

Jester7
06-05-2003, 01:39 AM
Harmony,

Very nice work... oil pastels are difficult. It's hard to make them look like other then crayons. You did an admirable job with them. I threw mine out a while ago and use soft pastels instead... although they cost a bit more.

Every one of your posts shows another aspect of your talent... graphite, CP, pastels... hopefully I haven't missed any watercolor postings!! Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
J:clap: :clap: :clap:

harmony
06-05-2003, 01:43 AM
Thanks for looking in Bill :)

I cant find my soft pastels otherwise i'd start learning how to use them properly. You havent missed any watercolour posts yet... I need a few more materials before I jump into that experimentation lol Its a little scarier... i never paint.

Jester7
06-05-2003, 01:48 AM
I knew that you were meant to work in color (and pencil too..of course)... you need to try your hand at watercolors... keep it simple at first and play with a lot of water... washes, etc. I would also recommend that you buy some cold press watercolor paper if you can ... that's my favorite (although I use hot press a lot ... it's difficult).

I would like to see you do more with pastels... maybe you can get a set of soft pastels on the Queen's birthday holiday :)

Cheers,
J

harmony
06-05-2003, 01:59 AM
LOL very up to date with Aussie public holidays. But thats cheating... it probably just means you don't have any Australia-related work that day now haha Cheeky!

I'm thinking maybe I can find a set on Sunday instead at the markets where mum brought the watercolours. She said there was a massive stall of art stuff so shes taking me there...which means she buys and it doesnt cost me a thing lol

I'm still not sure I'm good with colour... but then i'm not sure if im good wth anything art related yet haha

maverick
06-05-2003, 09:54 AM
Hey, no negative talk about not being good with art. Wait...that would mean you ARE and artist.

harmony
06-05-2003, 10:14 AM
I'm merely a beginner :)

Jester7
06-06-2003, 01:48 AM
Not "merely" anything! You know what I think about your work... gets better all the time. And what does it mean to be an artist... I think part of it is a drive to create and a drive to get better and better and clearly you have both!! So, you go girl!!

I support Australian users... so I take Australian holidays... that's why I know them so well... ha, ha...

I'm glad you are going with your Mom... free is always the best price :) Try to go for the best brand your Mom can afford :D Rembrandt pastels are very nice... and I'm sure that there are many other brands that others would reocmmend!!

Cheers,
J

harmony
06-06-2003, 02:00 AM
Hey Bill, I've had one of those I cant draw a thing days so I'm working on a cp drawing instead now that i started last night. A birdie lol

At this stage in learning new mediums I dont think I'd be worried if i had a really crappy brand of pastels... just so that I can mess around with them alot and use them up quick... then buy a new, more expensive set when I get a little big of skill going lol Sounds like a good way to work.

And I still dont know if I'm good enough to be labelled at artist yet lol So i'm sticking with the 'merely' a beginner thing :P But if it makes you happy I'll say that I'm a struggling artist LOL

Jester7
06-06-2003, 02:28 AM
Actually... I've done the same thing with different mediums... start with a lesser pastel and work up... I think that's okay...but you have to get some decent paper!! A flat drawing paper will drive you crazy in your attempt to use pastels!!

And how about this for a description:

A beautiful talented sweet struggling artist...

Hhmmm... that does seem kinda long :)

Looking forward to your "birdie" post ;)

cheers,
J

harmony
06-06-2003, 02:36 AM
LOL a long label but a very sweet one :o

Some different paper would be good. Every single drawing I've done this year has been in my art journal or on computer paper haha I wonder if thats a big reason why alot of the drawings suck :P

I just posted the birdie as a WIP in the cp forum :)