PDA

View Full Version : Taking slide photos of oil-on-canvas paintings

vinc10
02-13-2001, 01:26 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping some people here have experience with this sort of thing. I would like to take high quality slide photos of my artwork before the pieces are sold. Just incase I ever want to make prints of the artwork, or make submissions to magazines, etc.

I would have the local photolab take the shots professionally, but they charge $8.00 per slide. *ouch*

How can I go about this in a do-it-yourself fashion? I'm an amateur photographer, and have all the equipment for the job, except studio lighting.

I'm wondering what lighting to use to cut down reflections off the paint, what film is best, etc.

If you have any tips, please let me know. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

Thanks!

S. Vincent

------------------
S. Vincent

vonorloff
02-13-2001, 04:17 PM
Just remember the old adage about light:
"The angle of incidence is equal to
the angle of reflectance."

To avoid 'bounce-back' of light then, postion two lights off to the sides of your painting, one on each side. This will direct the specular glare away from the camera in both directions, illuminating your painting but without those unwanted glare spots.

As to what lights to use, any light will do, in theory. But with regular tungsten light bulbs, the overall color temperature will be too warm for accurate color renditions.

So what to do? Use tungsten-balanced film, which will 'read' the light as white, not orange. Or you could use daylight-balanced light bulbs, instead. Either way, your goal is to get a slide which 'looks' like your painting. Now with a digital camera, you'd have it made, because most of them can be set to automatically white-balance.

Hope this is of some help to you.

------------------
VonOrloff

vinc10
02-13-2001, 04:41 PM
VonOrloff,

Thank-you! That is exactly what I needed to know. I'm going to make a film-run downtown tonight to pick up some tungsten film. I had heard of it, but wasn't aware of what it was for.

Danka!

S. Vincent

------------------
S. Vincent