PDA

View Full Version : Fabulously friendly.... Fijian hut!

Debzy
04-28-2012, 08:03 AM
I have only done the block in stage of this painting, it is watercolour on watercolour paper, approx 13" x 10". I have just returned from a well needed holiday. I went to Fiji with a very close friend and we had a marvellous time. Haven't had a holiday for 6 years, and apart from coming from England to Australia when I was 4, I have never been out of Australia for 46 years until Fiji last week! What an unbelievably friendly race of people. So poor in many ways, but rich in passion for life, family, friendship and the spirit of love. I took many photos, so I intend to do a series of "Fiji" paintings. This little hut is the first, and I hope to convey the feeling of simplicity of lifestyle yet richness of character. I will probably put one or two figures in here, and of course there is much detail to add. Any suggestions for improvement of composition or colour at this stage would be appreciated. I know it is only early, but still I would like some feedback on the work so far. =)) There is a coral reef behind the little beach behind the hut, then the surf is beyond that. Therefor there are some breakers onto the reef in the distance, and it looks like land, but it will be the coral reef. Cheers. Debs. =)) :wave:

mark brazney
04-28-2012, 01:14 PM
great start, lucky you. but you had a great time.

Debzy
04-29-2012, 12:35 AM
Thank you Mark, yes we had a wonderful time. I didn't want to come back to work thats for sure, but need to start saving for the next trip lol, so better be grateful for my job! Fiji was the most friendly and relaxed place I have ever seen, and the people were just delightful. So friendly, warm, loving and happy, despite being very poor. They work for almost nothing, and live in very poor makeshift dwellings. Mostly depending on their handcrafts and growing fruit, for which they are very proud.The one I m painting is not one of the more common types, but traditional I guess. The children are gorgeous and the passion they have to learn and for family and life is inspiring to say the least. Have a great day Mark, and thanks again. I will post as new instalments come along. Cheers. Debs. =))

La_
04-29-2012, 12:17 PM
mmnmm
i could so move in there!
question the little bench thing ... would be a perfect spot for a campfire!

la

Debzy
04-30-2012, 08:36 AM
It is like a little bus stop of sorts La, thought I might put a little Fijian boy on it sitting sideways with his knees up perhaps? I thoght it would add some life and perspective to the scene! It is a lovely place to visit, highly recommended! Will be doing more work on it tomorrow, time hasn't been permitting until then. Can't wait to get into it. =)) Cheers and thanks La! Debs.

Andrewcody
05-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Nice memory of your holiday Deb, were you on the main Island?
Nice little watercolour.

Bula Bula

Andrew

Debzy
05-08-2012, 04:04 AM
Hi Andrew!!! You disappeared for a while! Glad you're back. Yes, a lovely holiday in Fiji, we were on the main Island on the coral coast. The Warwick resort. It was spectacular. Such a relaxing time, really needed it too. Wonderful people, 28 degrees every day, nothing to do but eat, drink, sleep and relax! It will be a nice watercolour I think, but it's only just started and i haven't had any spare time to finish it yet. I may get to do a bit on it tonight.... I hope? Bula Bula to you too!!! And Vinaka, for your post. Cheers. Debs. =))

arnieb
05-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Great start. Think the bench is too close to edge, but dont thimk it would work higher up - perhaps a little bush instead to break up the green in that area?
I'de love to visit Fiji - its certainly on my list of palaces to visit.
Thought about doing some more pictures so we can see? Arnie

Debzy
05-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Hi and thanks Arnie, yes I will do a whole series of Fiji I think!!! I just need to find the time to get to them. I can't wait, I have hundreds of photos but no time at present. =(( I still haven't had time to get to the next stage of this one, but have intentions to do it in the next few days. Fiji is a beautiful place with a wonderful atmosphere, both in people and places. Cheers and I will post an update soon. Debs. =))

Debzy
05-11-2012, 10:42 AM
Hi everyone, I have done a bit more on my Fiji Hut. I am still not finished, but it's harder than I thought for some reason? Anyway, as always, any critique is welcome. Cheers. debs. =)):D

alangraham
05-11-2012, 11:21 AM
Although I'm not a huge fan of watercolors, I do like this. Rather charming and peaceful. The bench is a nice touch, too.

Since this is a critique section, I'll throw in my two cents. The painting is feeling more dark than the first pic you posted. Both are fine, especially the second which has more detail, but has lost some of the 'happy' feel if this makes sense. Perhaps brighten up the roof?

Also, what if you removed the bush/shrub directly to the left of the painting? You could see more of the ocean then.

I think the trees are great as is, and the more I look at the bench, the more I like it. If you do remove that shrub, the bench would be a great place to catch a glimpse of the sea.

regards,
Cory

Debzy
05-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Thanks for your critique and observations Corey! I wish I had thought to dismiss the shrub now, I think you are right, it would certainly open up the painting a lot . Not sure I can do it now as it is watercolour??? I will think about it for sure, maybe even do a second study without it. I really appreciate your thoughts on this and will take it on board. We are always learning and striving to improve our work and the valuable critique on this forum from my WC friends is priceless. Cheers Corey and I am very grateful. Debs. =))

Debzy
05-17-2012, 08:38 AM
Finally got some time to add a bit more on my Fiji hut. Still not complete, just thought I would post the next instalment. Will put a child or two in here soon. :cat:

Trumper
05-17-2012, 03:48 PM
:) That looks alot lighter and happier now.You can almost hear music:)

Debzy
05-17-2012, 09:33 PM
Thank you Trumper, yes I have lightened it up quite a bit, and still have quite a bit more to add. It is getting there now, I almost discarded it, but decided it could be ok with more work. Cheers and thanks again! Keep smiling. Debs. :thumbsup: :D

arnieb
05-18-2012, 12:42 PM
The lightening up, cutting back the shrub so you can see more ocean, and all the extra details have really brought this one to life. Love it:thumbsup: Arnie

Debzy
05-19-2012, 10:02 AM
Thanks again Arnie I am so glad I was able to make those changes! I am getting happier with it now, and I can't wait to put some children in there somewhere! Appreciate your feedback as always, very useful and encouraging. Cheers Arnie! =)) Debs

Debzy
05-24-2012, 03:41 AM
Hi everyone, I have added some children now, am going to add two school bags near the bench, please let me know what you think so far??????? Do the children look ok, do they need more work????? =)) chers Debs.

mark brazney
05-24-2012, 10:19 AM
fabulous... I want to go... love the bushes in front of the hut

Debzy
05-25-2012, 02:50 AM
Thank you so much Mark, very kind of you to say. I have added school bags now and will just add few more finishing touches then I think I will move on to my next work. This wasn't as easy as I thought it might be, but very enjoyable. Will post the final work when done. Cheers and thank you again. Debs. =))

arnieb
05-25-2012, 04:01 AM
Youve done a good job putting those children on:thumbsup: . Very brave. Nothing like putting a figure in a scene to really bring it to life. Arnie

Debzy
05-25-2012, 09:52 AM
Thank you Arnie, yes it was a bit scary adding the children, I wasn't sure how it would finish up! Anyway, I have a few finishing touches to add and then I will call it done. I will post the final stage soon, I have enjoyed doing this one, quite challenging for me. Such a lovely friendly place and people though, I had to have a go. It is a very colourful place with music, beautiful fruit, happy warm people, lovely countryside and a huge passion for life. A very poor race, but they don't let it get to them, they just make the most of every minute of every day and music, handcrafts and family are very important to them. :heart: :grouphug: Cheers Arnie and thanks again. =)) Debs.

Debzy
06-07-2012, 04:34 AM
I think I will call this one finished, I need to move on to new ones. I added school bags, changed the left middle bush and added some shadows. All critiques welcome. I can still change things =)) cheers. Debs.