GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Gavin
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16 x 12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I did this for the portrait challenge from the WC Projects.
This was an experiment. A limited color scheme. I really enjoyed doing it. It was a breath of fresh air!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
How successful do you think this experiment was?

Gavinart
05-27-2003, 09:21 PM
Hey! That's not me!

I DIG YOUR PORTRAIT, AND YES, IT DOES WORK AS AN EXPERIMENT.

oops sorry for caps..

tbezesky
05-27-2003, 09:52 PM
It's Gavin Zarathustra.
I hope that is correct.
Thank you, the new approach will take some fine tuning but I think it will work.
I want to experiment with the palette, and try other colors.

Wayne Gaudon
05-27-2003, 10:06 PM
Hey! That's not me! LOL

Nice work Tracy

artinoils
05-27-2003, 10:45 PM
Definitely looks like the reference posted...expressionistic Gavin. Nice portrait...taken to another level. Looks like you enjoyed the process.

bocote
05-27-2003, 11:19 PM
very nice use of greens and reds. I admire your skill and intuition. I think you have done well.

Limiting colors is a learning process. I really like your confidence with brush strokes and its all well placed and structurally sound.

nice fight,

Bocote

jerryW
05-27-2003, 11:39 PM
I like the fluidity

pero lane
05-28-2003, 10:52 AM
WOW! really great!

Luzie
05-28-2003, 11:17 AM
You've painted more than the face, you've painted the person (gavin Z., is this you?:)
I like the expressionism style very much, maybe different sizes brushstrokes would have made this even more interesting?

tbezesky
05-28-2003, 12:08 PM
Wayne and Jerry thanks, I appreciate that from men of great strokes!

Susan, thanks it was eye opening day, I have been seeing this way but had not actually put into practice. It sure was fun, usually I am tired of a painting before I finish.
I have been attracted to expressionism over the past year, before that I always looked toward the impressionists.

Thank you Bocote, Say Hello to Cinci, I miss that town I moved from there 2 years ago, I had lived there 10 years. There lots of interesting terrain the to paint.

Thanks Pat.

Luzie, thank you, yes I do need to develop this, I still want to loosen up some more. Now I have 1001 different paintings I want to paint.

Gilberte
05-28-2003, 04:39 PM
YOUR EXPERIMENT is very successful ! Like the colors ... at first glance thought they were acrylics.

giniaad
05-28-2003, 07:13 PM
Great Experiment!

very intriguing
lots of fun to look at

Zarathustra
06-10-2003, 08:24 AM
Hi Tracy,

I haven't been on Wetcanvas much recently, now I've returned I'm just trying to adapt to the new changes! That took me by surprise!

I love the expressionistic work and colours you've used in this - very nicely done, and I'm flattered you've painted me!
All the elements are there - goatee, mustache, long eyebrows, hair, though I hope I don't disappoint in saying it doesn't quite look like me - perhaps it's the eyes more than anything else, which I imagine must have been difficult to paint given that there were some strong shadows in the reference. Never-the-less it doesn't detract from the painting in anyway. Great work and lovely use of brushstrokes!

artbabe21
06-10-2003, 11:09 PM
Tracy...way cool style!! I surely like this of Gavin...loose & free...:)
Have you shown it in the abstract forum?

Hey Gavin, have missed you around here...what are you up to?

tbezesky
06-10-2003, 11:26 PM
Thanks,
I am not surprised that it does look quite like you,
since I have never met you and I was concentrating mostly on trying out a new method and palette.
It actually looks like my husband when he had a goatee. :D

Thanks Cathleen, it was liberating!
Thanks for creating the Portrait challenge!
This painting is going to effect future paintings.
I plan to do some more experimenting along these lines.
It was more fun to paint this way, and it took only 4 hours.
There was absolutely no white, just cad. red, cad. yellow lite, cob. blue, and diox. purple.

artbabe21
06-11-2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by tracysart
it was liberating!
Thanks for creating the Portrait challenge!
This painting is going to effect future paintings.
I plan to do some more experimenting along these lines.
It was more fun to paint this way

Tracy.....it certainly feels good to break out & try something liberating.....I'd love to give this a try also!! Looks like you just opened up and let it rip!!

I think there is a resemblance to Gavin...but then I've only seen the photo!

Zarathustra
06-11-2003, 04:20 AM
Hi Cathleen, I've really not done anything with my art for a while, and am focusing more on my music at present. I'm sure I'll come back to it at some point, but I need to feel in the right mental state to commence.

artbabe21
06-11-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Zarathustra
Hi Cathleen, I've really not done anything with my art for a while, and am focusing more on my music at present.

Gavin...you have been such a positive presence here that you are missed by many...but know what you mean...only so much time!
Enjoy your music!

Zarathustra
06-11-2003, 02:58 PM
Thanks Cathleen. ;) I'll be sure to stop by frequently even if I don't post anything new for a while.