Title: Caught surprised
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil Pastel
Surface: Board
Dimension: 24x18,4
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Hi.
I'm trying something new here, to get a finish that looks good from a distance, and not from close up, as I usually paint. (This is cropped image.)

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
So, you think I'm on the right track?

giniaad
05-27-2003, 04:16 PM
and pleased for the suprise!...

I think this is absolutely delightful!

however, it is hard to answer the quesion posted.
I feel that can only be answered after viewing in person
(which I wish I could do)

LOVE IT!
she is beautiful!

pero lane
05-27-2003, 06:25 PM
Sorry...I can't help you on the experimental finish...I guess you have to be there! This is beautiful work regardless.

artinoils
05-27-2003, 06:52 PM
How do you feel about this?

To me the edges are sharp up close...less so in the face than the body, which says that is not what you were striving to achieve.
Try holding the brush at the handle end and extending your arm...and painting at a distance back from the canvas. You will paint something that when viewed up close you will wonder what it is. Squint and focus on just placing accurate shapes of accurate color and value. Anxious to see what you come up with.

I like the lovely playful expression and the painting :)

jerryW
05-27-2003, 07:03 PM
the cropped image looks great on my monitor from across the room
if you show the full image we can answer the question

bocote
05-27-2003, 11:12 PM
question posed: yes

consider this when thinking of your problem.... (up close) do you want the image to look like a paint by number with clearly defined shapes or would you rather do a creative combination of stroke technique with blending to get the solution you want.

I know this problem you are working on and seek the same solution within ones style.

have fun,

bocote

tbezesky
05-28-2003, 12:41 AM
The colors and the expresion in the face are very nice. Very interesting picture.
You may want to define the hand a little more.

Wayne Gaudon
05-28-2003, 08:49 AM
On the right track but IMO, to get the painterly look it doesn't mean you never blend .. pulling and dragging different areas and allowing them to intermingle and marry on the canvas would do a lot for this piece .. the patches are exactly that .. patches .. no common thread to bind them and make them whole. It seems as if you laid down each color but never allowed them to touch, kiss, or intermingle. It is the interaction of colors with other colors that would make softer edges between values and hues and thereby give it a more natural and relazed look while being quite painterly.

artbabe21
05-29-2003, 01:39 PM
She's absolutely lovely...it's good to try different mediums...I sure hear you on the looking different fup close & distance...:)

Gilberte
05-29-2003, 03:55 PM
I like it very much especially the happy feeling she expresses. Wayne's comment is very interesting ( I want to learn too ;) )

Matt Sammekull
05-30-2003, 11:14 AM
First of all, the medium used was oil colors, and not pastels... sorry for that!

I hear you guys... and I'll consider loosening up the pattern look of her face. The likeness of a "paint by numbers" is strikingly correct. Not sure I want that.

Thanks for helping out!!!

//Matt