PDA

View Full Version : Suede Mat board

Luvy
05-27-2003, 02:11 PM
I just happened to have this light green suede mat board around. I found it at a framing place. It's 8 x 12 and thought I'd try to work on it. I liked it. I may have to go find more *S* My 11 month old puppy.

marilyn h
05-27-2003, 02:27 PM
This is the best of your pastels, Luvy You know your subject/

Dark_Shades
05-27-2003, 02:46 PM
May ..... May .... May have to go get some more??????

...... gooooooooooo get some more......... I agree with Marilynh, this is your best ............ this is how I want to see your pastels..... see the density of the colour you have with this piece..... its brilliant Luvy :clap: ...... this is how I wanted to see all your other works ....... this suede suits you the best....... get tons of it ... you have found and met your mark with it

.... your doggie is a sweetie ..... Id perhaps tone down the shape of hes/her eyes slightly ....... but I love it ...... everything, background, doggie, the green

congrats Luvy ...... Ohhhhhhhh you got to try a landscape on thise suede and see what happens....... lolol, I for one cant wait

Luvy
05-27-2003, 03:10 PM
Thanks Marilyn and Dark. Dark I think it's because you can't really blend on this stuff. It grabs the pastels and sticks. You make a mistake you have a lot to do to correct it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-May-2003/2529-MM.jpg

Here's the reference photo I took. That black and white pillow is only there because I found it at a store and couldn't resist the cuddliness of it LOL It matches nothing LOL So ignore that.

Maggies eyes are expressive *S*

Marilyn I am a dog lover. I have 4 right now because daughter moved back home, so her two and mine. What a life LOL

Oh and I know I didn't give her enough neck. But then you can't change much on this suede stuff. She's just laying her head closer to the pillow LOL HEE HEE

angeline
05-27-2003, 03:33 PM
WOW luvy definatly get more of that board!
This is fantastic!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

mhimeswc
05-27-2003, 06:30 PM
Oh, I love that cute hairy face! You did a great job with the pup's coat.

Michelle

meowmeow
05-27-2003, 07:15 PM
Wow! What a great job you have done! YOu have captured your pup's face wonderfully! The fur is great!

Sandy

Mo.
05-27-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Luvy
Thanks Marilyn and Dark. Dark I think it's because you can't really blend on this stuff. It grabs the pastels and sticks. You make a mistake you have a lot to do to correct it.

Maggies eyes are expressive *S*

There you go Luvy..you have solved your problem...overblending... it dulls the colours...You have painted a lovely portrait of your darling little dog, you've caught Maggies lovely expressive eyes too... Well Done. :clap:

cheers,
Mo.

sundiver
05-27-2003, 09:09 PM
Wow, Luvy! Double wow!

Anodyne
05-27-2003, 10:11 PM
Wonderful work, i love the ears =)
My brother has a lil maltese named maggie, and both have very expressive eyes =^.^=

-Sonia

Luvy
05-27-2003, 11:49 PM
Thanks for looking and the comments. Wish I had more of this stuff. I'll have to go search it out. Do they sell this in art stores? I haven't seen it. Guess it's off to Michaels and see if they will sell me some of their mats

djstar
05-28-2003, 02:23 AM
Just cruising in the forum and thought "what a cute dog"... then I saw it was you.
THEN I buttoned back to see SUEDE...
Nifty stuff.
You are using it so well.
The trick is to be brave. You can OVERPAINT. Pastels are opaque so you have to fix it by repainting it. Don't be timid.
You can also take a really stiff brush and scrub it off.
I blend by using hard pastels. The trick is to remember you are blending back to the color of the mat board every time.
If you are trying to blend darks, you will lighten them up to the light green. If you want to soften lights, be sure you have a lot of color on first it will always knock back to the starting tone.
IT IS WORTH IT. Chase down every craft store in the area!

You have really blossomed and this sort of work takes confidence. Looks like you are hitting your stride!
dj*

Artaholic
05-29-2003, 12:40 AM
OH!!, Luvy, he is adorable . You did a great job. :clap: :clap:

Gerry

Mikki Petersen
05-29-2003, 12:45 AM
Great work Luvy! The dog is a cutey and you have really done well with the hair and that sparkle in his eyes. I vote this one for your next exhibit entry!

Luvy
05-29-2003, 09:18 AM
Thanks Dj *S* I'm go hunting maybe tomorrow Today may be another gardening day. Have to replace some Oleanders because I'm tired of chasing worms off them. My friend said she would take them. So have to replant some plants in their place today. UGH Gardening is hard. It's not my hobby. But I love how it all looks LOL

Impete Don't know of any competetions around here except the two big fairs. I don't know how to go about all this competing stuff LOL Maybe it's jut Maggie is so cute *S* She's a doll.

meowmeow
05-29-2003, 09:29 AM
don't know how to go about all this competing stuff

Even if you don't want to compete but just exhibit and meet other artists, there might be some local groups around. Why not go to one of the fairs or exhibits and ask someone about joining.
I saw you mention in a post a while ago that no one had asked you to join any art groups. Generally I don't know that they will ask, you just join. At least that is how it is around here in the northeast.
I'm sure there are some groups you have to submit work to be accepted but the local groups usually are glad to have new members.

Sandy

Dark_Shades
05-29-2003, 09:35 AM
Luvy, what were those, competitions you entered into, and showed your photos next to your paintings....... one time you won a ribbon if I remember rightly

Luvy
05-29-2003, 10:59 AM
Dark I won 1st and 3rd at the Strawberry Festival and Horable Mention at the State Fair.

Impete a while back when I first got into this, I looked for local artist group. Gave up. I may have to search again. One is about 45 minutes from me where the Strawberry Festival was held in Plant City. They told me about a group in my area but never got a call back. So I just dropped it. Maybe I'll try again

meowmeow
05-29-2003, 12:25 PM
I won 1st and 3rd at the Strawberry Festival and Horable Mention at the State Fair.

Wow! I must have missed that! That's wonderful Luvy.
Yeah...try again to find a group near you. It really helps to have others who are interested in what you are doing.

Sandy

rd2ruin
05-29-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Luvy
Dark I won 1st and 3rd at the Strawberry Festival and Horable Mention at the State Fair.

I'm sure you meant 'Honorable Mention'. I'm the type that wins 'Horrible Mention' at competitions LOL :D

Luvy, I agree with the above posts. This is your best so far. Maybe it's the surface, I dunno, but you're getting more aggressive with your colors as well your darks and lights lately.

Great job and keep it up, you really are hitting a stride here :clap:

Cheers!
- Greg

Luvy
05-29-2003, 08:15 PM
Rd2ruin Oops Honorable Mention that's right. So my typing stinks in the morning LOL

Thanks Meow. When I took a couple of classes last year in oils my teacher wanted me to join her group but it started at 7 on Sat morning. Bet they don't have a lot of members LOL And it was about 40 minutes away from me too. I DON"T DO MORNINGS. This was a decorative artist club. I don't paint to decorate I'm not crafty. LOL