PDA

View Full Version : Has Economy Affected Art in Your Area?

Ocean Blue
05-27-2003, 11:23 AM
I live and run my art business out of the city of Miami FL, over the past year I have seen many changes in the art world down here, several major galleries have closed their doors or have moved to other cities. well established local artists have also taken to the road, some, who have worked out of the Miami area for 30 years or more. In a nutshell, the outlook for art in South Florida is very grim, my question is, how are things going in other parts of the country? I am interested in hearing other artists view on this problem, and if it is occurring in their area.

Ocean Blue

surreal
05-27-2003, 11:28 AM
Based on what I've been reading, the art business has been greatly affected by the economy.

Have you posted this in the "Art Business" forum also?

I expect that you'd get much more feedback in that section of WetCanvas, regarding this issue.

El_Elegante
05-27-2003, 11:42 AM
Interest in my art has only been growing over the last few years. I am still not making any real money at it. Much interest... but few stay to pay my exorbinate prices.

Luzie
05-27-2003, 11:50 AM
Could this be a florida-phenomen?
I know several gallerys/artists down here that are struggling, no sales...etc.

Gar
05-27-2003, 12:22 PM
Art in Florida is a warm Budweiser with some pro wrestling.

Thanx for the heads up on the Miami situation Ocean Blue. I had recently been thinking about heading down that way to see how the art scene "looked" in Miami. maybe now i'll delay that visit a bit. bummerness.

Mickey Mouse is Satan's minion.:evil:

El_Elegante
05-27-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Gar
Art in Florida is a warm Budweiser with some pro wrestling.

Thanx for the heads up on the Miami situation Ocean Blue. I had recently been thinking about heading down that way to see how the art scene "looked" in Miami. maybe now i'll delay that visit a bit. bummerness.

Mickey Mouse is Satan's minion.:evil:

Don't put it off Gar. breaking that barrier is a long hard road. sooner you start, faster you get there. might even be easier to get shown if galleries etc are having trouble selling their existing work. I don't think many galleries or venues turn down artists that they are really excited about because they are full.. or sales are slow. I could be wrong on that.

Gar
05-27-2003, 01:31 PM
Yeah El, i'm still gonna go down to Miami in August or September and check it out for myself. i recently met some laptop/glitch artists that were playing in Orlando and said they'd show me around if i came down.

Getting married on June 28th, so that's kinda sapping all our extra money and energy up at the moment. After that though, i'm gonna try and make an effort to get a show, a gallery, or atleast a few rejection notices.;)

Some days i'm optimistic, some days i'm pessimistic.

El_Elegante
05-27-2003, 01:51 PM
Congradulations Gar.. I forgot you wern't married yet. and your wedding is on my birthday too. :eek:

:clap:

pezer001
05-27-2003, 02:01 PM
you might want to have a look at Jacksonville. Things are only growing here. A new Museum of Modern Art, more galleries opening.. I'm just entering the mainstream art world but it shows signs of growth here.

Gar
05-27-2003, 02:13 PM
Good hear about Jax Peezer. That's a bit closer to me than Miami is too. Thanx.

hey El, Maybe one day we'll get together and have a big Anniversary/birthday party!! ha, that would be kool.:D

Gareth
05-27-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Gar
Some days i'm optimistic, some days i'm pessimistic.

I hope that's relating to selling your art and not the impending marriage ;)

Gar
05-27-2003, 02:27 PM
That's toward everything in genral gareth.:eek:

Gareth
05-27-2003, 02:39 PM
Haha, don't look so scared Gar, it would appear that you've got a pretty balanced outlook.

Fagan
05-28-2003, 10:36 AM
Ocean Blue...I sell on Ebay. It has gone downhill since the 1st of the year. Where I used to sell 2-3 paintings a week (minimum)to now 1 or 2 every 2-3 weeks. I used to have many lookers....now it is cut in half. Same type of work so it is economy related I believe. I also have my work in two galleries and have only sold 2 this year. I am located in northern Indiana. bummers

mame
05-28-2003, 11:13 AM
Slowed down in the Northwest and Pacific NW.
Several high tech/airline/production companies with big lay offs of executives (art collectors).

Buying decisions taking longer. Collectors hesitant to put out lumps of cash. Suggestions to make smaller works (smaller lumps of cash outlay).

Many galleries are on 30 day billing schedules. They and artists are finding payments are dragging out to 45.......60 days. Seriously/adversely affects gallery cash flow. Some are having to do magic tricks/take out 2nd mortgages to pay high prime property rents and stay current on operating costs, i.e., exhibition costs, mailings, etc.

Some galleries with big space are "renting out" a room to emerging artists who can pay to display their work (but are not part of the gallery's stable of contracted artists) to improve cash flow.

Many artists "spreading the risk" - opting to work with several galleries spread out regionally rather than all the eggs in one prestigious gallery basket.