PDA

View Full Version : Three Men in a Tub

Pete Hubbard
05-27-2003, 02:14 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-27-2003/15630_3_men_in_a_tub.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Three Men in a Tub
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 40"wx54"h
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This piece is finished and complete. I glued the canvas together creating ridges of canvas.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm interested if several factors are getting through to the viewer. I use a specific process heavily influenced by engineering drafting and geometry. I'm interested in if the ridges enhance or detract from the piece. And I'm generally interested in any comments or remarks positive or constructive. I'm not interested in any destructive remarks.

djstar
05-27-2003, 03:32 AM
How come there are FOUR???
dj*

angelmakerla
05-27-2003, 04:30 AM
Changing the colorfield in the inner most rectangle might be the key to making the image "pop."

Consider making it a dark value of one of the three outer colours. Maybe even a dark green. Or even black, since you have black lines that you are using to break up the composition.

Pete Hubbard
05-27-2003, 06:20 AM
I have a rye sense of humor and I like to name my paintings using well-known phrases or even clichťs. Also the obvious disconnect between the title and the piece adds interest, I think.

Pete Hubbard
05-27-2003, 06:47 AM
Being an engineering draftsman I have witnessed a phenomenon that I find endlessly interesting and amazing. While working on a drawing, even one where other drafters have worked on it and will again later, I have found that some quite interesting graphic results emerge unintentionally and without the knowledge of those working on it, even when pointed out to them. The draftsman are following a rigid set of drafting conventions and with out a creative bone in their bodies have come up with some very interesting images. Images while conveying the intent of the drawing, also completely separately, are hum dinger art images. Iím trying to harness this phenomenon in my work so sometimes my paintings will seem odd in some undefined way. And an obvious route or alternative, art wise, will present itself that I donít follow. Iím more interested in this other accidental art avenue. Also Iím not entirely convinced conventional painting approaches, although well grounded in art history, are the best route to pursue. I go into more detail on this in my web site. www.petehubbard.com