PDA

View Full Version : advise about digital camara's

raymond
07-13-2000, 02:00 PM
I hope I can get some advise here on this forum. I want to buy a digital camara to photograph my paintings so I can put them on the net. Also I want to use it for making refference for painting portraits still life etc..

What I want is a digital camara that let's me make good pictures but doesn't cost me more than 400- 500 dollar.
Because I only use it for reffernce I'm not planning on doing serious photo stuff.
Can some of you please advise me what I MUST have as a feature on the camara because I don't know anything about digital camara's.
I now have a canon with a 135 mm zoomlens and that works, but I want to go digital.

What about the kodak dc 215 should that be enough to make refference material ?
I also saw the sony mvc-fd 73 but I hear bad things about that one.

Realy I can use some help on what to look for in a digital camara without spending a lot of money.

Thanks,

Raymond

Shriner
07-13-2000, 05:02 PM
Raymond - I left a reply to this in the Oil Painting forum (I should have looked here before I did it! d'OH!)

bluespade
07-14-2000, 12:25 AM
Try this website and read the reviews: www.dpreview.com (http://www.dpreview.com)

Try also www.cnet.com (http://www.cnet.com)

Sadly, you can not take great shots of your artwork with a cheap camera as they won't be good with external flahses. Just as sady, you'll probably need to spend some money on accessories, too.

So, you should look for a camera that allows for an external flash. That way you won't use the on-board flash which will likely give too much direct harsh lighting. Inside you'll bounce the external flash's light off the ceiling for a more diffuse effect. (Or you could try and take your pics outdoors on a cloudy day or indoors with good windows...)

If you ever want to print your pics as 5x7 or 8x10 prints you will want 2 megapixels. With less you'll never be able to crop and still have lots of pixels left.

Also, you might want to get Paint Shop Pro. It is an inexpensive photoediting program that is top notch! About $70.

Personally, I love my Olympus 2020z. It costs over $600, but it is an amazing camera, probably even better than the more recent Olympus 3030z! (IMHO)

------------------
Doug
Blue Spade Productions
http://www.bluespade.com

raymond
07-14-2000, 04:55 AM
Thanks for the reply all of you :-)
It's very hard to get a good camara here where I live because they are a bit more expensive than in the USA and they don't have all the camara's.

I have at the moment a SLR camara but that isn't didgital and that means I have to take a picture of my painting and then scan it.
Scanners are a pain in the behind because they change the color and this is very difficult to correct with an edit program like photoshop or photopaint that I both use a lot and love.

I hoped I could buy an average digital camara that would let me make some good pics to ask what is wrong with the color in my painting for example on the net.
If the camara doesn't register this correct it's meaningless to ask.
I will shop around and see with what I come up. Also I never liked the idea to bring photo's to develop and then find out some are not that good and I like to take shots inbetween my painting so that I can look back at what I did. That's very bad to do with a regular camara.

It's all very complicated this digital stuff but thanks for the good advise you all.

Raymond