PDA

View Full Version : Maya or 3dmax???

OpiateAmoruex
05-26-2003, 10:04 PM
which computer graphics program is the best and why?
Maya and 3d Max seem to be cleaning up in competition, but is there really a more suitable/affordable program?

elf
05-26-2003, 10:05 PM
Well, there's a Linux compatible program called Blender. If you want affordable Linux is a good choice. The GIMP, for instance, is a wonderful program and is free. But there's a steep learning curve.

dk_art
05-26-2003, 11:50 PM
"Well, there's a Linux compatible program called Blender."

Blender is for Windows too ... it's free but I could never figure it out (not saying it's not good as some examples I saw of stuff made with it were cool) but I can't seem to find the site right now

I like Truespace6 myself (not everyone's "cup o' tay " due to the interface but I like it) www.caligari.com

I think both of those you mentioned have demos. That's the only real way to find out what you prefer (IMHO) as opposed to what a dozen people suggest.

BingoBong
05-27-2003, 01:14 AM
Yup, dk, I agree. There is alot outthere for 3D, but you have to find your way through by trying them out.
My own preference is 3D Studio Max in combo with Poser, Bryce and Swift and then you have a pretty allround package I think. But, like mentioned before, you gotta find out yourself. I am not saying my own opinion anymore about compatibility or useability, coz it gets shoved right back. Not because I am wrong, but because everyone has their own preferences.

http://www.discreet.com would be a very good start for you to roam around. They took over 3D Studio Max and affiliate programmes from Autodesk (& Kinetix) and are the leader in high-end rendering for stills and video. The video-part of Max is used for instance in alot of movies like Jurassic Park, The Matrix (with self developed plugins) and with the "touch ups" of Star Wars and the new Star Wars movies. So, yeah, they rock. But that's just me with my humble opinion. Just try them all out and find out yerself.

I work with 3D Studio since the DOS version 3 (1994) (it was not called Max in those days) and it never failed on my wishes. And that is just experience, not an opinion.

Anyways, have fun trying out all those programmes and find out what's the best for you.

Martin.