PDA

View Full Version : Sea Anemone Cactus * " Completed " * REACTIVATED

mustcreate
05-26-2003, 02:10 PM
Hello all!!

it's been awhile since I posted a thread.....I wonder if I remember how to do it? ;)

reference for this is from my trip to Arizona.

it's not really called a Sea Anemone Cactus...the new growth on this cactus reminds me of the Sea Anemone's tentacles :) I don't know the proper name of the cactus.

title: Sea Anemone Cactus

size: 20" x16"

Arches 300 lb cold pressed

all Winsor Newton paints.

I started in with the background first with a glaze of Winsor Yellow with the pointy bits masked out.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2003/9879-DSC01660cactus.jpg
A quick glaze with Quinacrindone Red.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2003/9879-DSC01661cactus.jpg
Roughed up the surface with some spattering of Winsor Violet and blended some.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2003/9879-DSC01662cactus.jpg
Wet the background with clear water and mopped up with a tissue because I felt it was too bright. This "aged" and lightened it up a bit.
Then started in on the underpainting with Winsor Violet.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2003/9879-DSC01663cactus.jpg
This is where I am right now......those pointy bits are tedious to underpaint...but it will be worth it in the end.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2003/9879-DSC01755cactus.jpg

I am out this afternoon so no more painting til maybe this evening. I'd be grateful for any and all comments and critiques.

thanks for peeking!!

em

pampe
05-26-2003, 02:13 PM
Good to see your work up here!

Drawing is great....

light source is obvious from your underpainting

Looks like a GOOD beginning!

Will be back later

P

mpopinz
05-26-2003, 02:23 PM
Excellent start!!!!

Looking forward to the progress pix!:clap: :clap:

tigre255
05-26-2003, 02:24 PM
All i have to say is WOW this is going to be good........will sit back and wait for more to come.........

Starsprite
05-26-2003, 02:27 PM
Lookin very good Em!! It's always a delite to see your WIP's! :clap: :clap: :clap:

mchew
05-26-2003, 02:27 PM
This is going to be fabulous.....

dspinks
05-26-2003, 03:06 PM
Lovely start. This is going to be gorgeous.

Debra

TheBlizz35
05-26-2003, 03:27 PM
I'm really looking forward to watching this continually develop. Love the background and am curious to see what comes next.

Thanks for posting!!

JanJones
05-26-2003, 03:57 PM
This is going to be beautiful, thanks for allowing us to follow along.

madmum
05-26-2003, 04:16 PM
Pulling up a chair and watching another masterpiece unfold before my eyes :D

Ruth

painterbear
05-26-2003, 04:26 PM
Aren't cactus plants fabulous! Your background is terrific and the underpainting already promises the delights to come.

Lookin' good, Em.

Bubba's Mama
05-26-2003, 04:40 PM
oh boy, oh boy, oh boy - this is looking most wonderful. in total agreement with all who went before!

Can't wait to see more.

Susan

jkook
05-26-2003, 04:42 PM
Pulling up and chair and watching this one. Can't wait to see it progress.

jbrules
05-26-2003, 05:18 PM
my butt is staying put on this chair, so you better hurry up with the next part of your wip. Not going to get anything done otherwise LOL. Love how you do your underpainting first. I really enjoy viewing your wips. Jan

mustcreate
05-26-2003, 05:28 PM
what a nice surprise to see who's been thru my thread while I was out this afternoon. :)

thank you one and all :)

I will be working on this later this evening....I hope!! lol I'll post a progress pic when I've done some noticeable work.

em

M.A.
05-26-2003, 05:54 PM
Yahoo! I'm so excited! Ems doing a WIP! Ems doing a WIP!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Little Old Lady
05-26-2003, 08:34 PM
Wonderful! Wonderful! Waiting anxiously.
JoAnn

suzpaints
05-26-2003, 10:54 PM
hey Em,

this ones going to be soooo cool !!!

or should I say hot!!!

love the background and the perspective - can't wait to see more!

Susie :cool:

ArcticRose
05-26-2003, 11:28 PM
Em... this is going to be gorgeous. You gave me a plan on how to do my rose too. Winsor Violet underpainting...I've got to try that. Thanks!:)

Merlot
05-26-2003, 11:37 PM
Looks good! I can see lots of depth already! And that underpainting color looking interesting. Waiting for more! :D

lyn lynch
05-27-2003, 12:00 AM
Whew!! I was thinkin' I was dreamin' that there was someone called Mustcreate!!

Wow!! Gob-smacked as they say across the Pond!! Gosh, Emily, LOVE the sky, LOVE the cactus. WHEW! LOVE THIS Sea Anemone Cactus. Actually that is a great name for this common variety native cactus. I planted one last spring at 2" and now it looks the size of Emily's. It flowered last month and is making buds again!! Those are new growth limbs Emily is showing...WOW! Love it, Emily!! Painting around the spines is labor-intensive, but Jeez! does the skill ever show up!

CharM
05-27-2003, 07:32 AM
Em... that background absolutely emanates heat! The perspective is wonderful... Your underpainting is so beautiful... as always... and Fookie is on the money... "does the skill ever show up!"

Annetta
05-27-2003, 07:57 AM
.....you and your underpainting.....just blows me away. This is going to be "FANTABULOUS!!! :D :clap:

els
05-27-2003, 08:43 AM
Glad your WIP's are back. Looking lovely so far...

al22
05-27-2003, 09:49 AM
Looks good em.......... Will stay tuned.......
...al

imahappy
05-27-2003, 02:31 PM
Wow! And you just started....in awe.....

mustcreate
05-29-2003, 09:20 AM
thank you all for the interest in this thread :)

I am a slow painter this week because I've had way too many "real life" things to do. but in the evenings I have managed to snag a couple of hours to complete the underpainting. I am sick to death of Winsor Violet right now, there are a few spots still needing it, but I am going to get to the colour now. But probably not til this evening.

I am a little worried that I've gone overboard with the violet......I really wanted the new growth parts to be quite yellow green, but that might not happen with all the underpainting there. We'll see :)

thanks for following along.

comments and critiques welcomed :)

em

Full size painting.......
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2003/9879-DSC01756cactus.jpg

And a crop.....I hope you can see that almost every "tentacle" has been shaded to some degree. :rolleyes:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2003/9879-DSC01756crop.jpg

imahappy
05-29-2003, 09:27 AM
You have an unbelievable amount of patience. Can't wait to see more. Thank you so much for sharing the steps.

lyn lynch
05-29-2003, 09:47 AM
I am scribbling manicly w/my crayon as I read, and view nearly every tentacle highlighted with violet. OMG!! So THIS is what true insanity is!!

I'm NOT a Virgo--YOU ARE!! NEver, Emily, would I, could I, ever have the patience to do this. I am dumbstruck. I simply cannot come up w/words to describe my appreciation for this amount of detailing and all done so masterfully as to appear...well, Martha Stewart like--perfection. Impressive! The background recedes so dramatically. This is high drama, Emily. You don't even need a green. I do not think you have gone to far w/the violet, given that as it currently sits the b/g is so much more dramatic; in fact, I worry a bit about the introduction of yellow in the areas touching the b/g.

Fagan
05-29-2003, 09:49 AM
Interesting technique! I look forward to seeing the next step. It looks great so far. *SMILE*

mustcreate
05-29-2003, 09:55 AM
thanks Sherry :)

Lyn!! lol you make me smile....but bite your tongue.....MARTHA STEWART?????!!!!!!!! lmao yes, it takes patience....and a certain degree of insanity to paint such fine details....but this is the only way that satisifies me....just can't do it any other way. :p dont' worry.....the tentacles that are close to the background are quite highlighted and wont' have much yellow if any. they will probably be a light green.

thanks for dropping in Beverly :)

em

tigre255
05-29-2003, 10:09 AM
Still sitting back watching ........LOL

Looks absolutely fantastic as is....but know that it will grow into a beatifully rendered painting as you apply the colours.......

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Little Old Lady
05-29-2003, 10:48 AM
I too admire your patience and attention to detail. I know I could never dot it! Wonderful results.
JoAnn

artmom
05-29-2003, 10:53 AM
I cannot believe the detail!! I can't wait to see how this turns out! Beautifully, I'm sure!

krough
05-29-2003, 10:56 AM
Wow! This would look great in one of the Scottsdale Galleries. I went on Art walk last Thursday and saw some very beautiful art work, but they were missing a certain boldness always found in your work.

K8Black
05-29-2003, 11:28 AM
Wooooweeee....I don't know how I missed this but it is, of course, STUNNING. Can't wait to see it finished. But then I don't like them to end, either. Maybe I will then know what to do with the purple post office painting I have sitting here. LOL Or at least have the confidence to atempt SOMETHING!!:D

I am so jealous that I will not be able to see your show. :( I know you will take lots of pics to share and thanks, in advance, for that. I am sure it will be breathtaking to see all of your work in one place, lining the walls. Good for you :clap: :clap:

Sounds like so much fun that you have a great group of girls (suzpaints and others) to paint with. You are very fortunate. Good luck with the show, Em...or what do they say in painting?....break a tube?!? LOL

Kate

K8Black
05-29-2003, 11:31 AM
Just realized that the finished painting is IN THE THREAD ALREADY!!DUH! sorry-- Beautiful....beautiful..:clap: :clap: :clap:

NO-it's not....OMG --- I am losing my mind ?!?

Will still be watching.... and trying to pay closer attention.

Kate:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

painterbear
05-29-2003, 11:49 AM
Kate,

That's an understandable mistake, LOL, Em's underpaintings are so beautiful they could easily stand on their own, but wait til she starts adding color! Oh, my!

Em, I am still in awe of how wonderfully you draw you color out and blend it, no hard edges in the way (except where you want them to be hard).

CharM
05-29-2003, 11:57 AM
Watching and learning in complete and total awe...

Margie L
05-29-2003, 11:59 AM
So exciting to watch one of your wips. Can't wait for an update.
Margie

Kate Mc
05-29-2003, 01:58 PM
ok, I see......no, wait. It's......no, it's not, I can't see.....

How do you do that?????

I'm waiting for the next installment too!

Kate

dspinks
05-29-2003, 03:01 PM
Huzza, huzza, great progress!

Best of luck in your opening. Great to have good friends surrounding you at such times. Here is my hug for your success (((Em))).

Debra

Uschi
05-29-2003, 03:51 PM
I think the machine ate my post because I could swear to it that I made a very appreciative comment, but where is it!!!!

Anyway, am as awstruck as the rest of them and cannot wait until the rest of the colours go in. It's always like a miracle to me how the purple disappears and everything glows with multicolour.

Waiting, waiting .......
Uschi

artcrazy
05-29-2003, 04:15 PM
gorgeous!!!!!!

and thanks for doing the WIP - I'm learning by watching :D , love how you are desrcibing what colors you are using, etc:D

looking forward to updates! :clap:

marilyn h
05-29-2003, 04:27 PM
I just have to add my WOW's to this piece. Love the paintings that you do.

mustcreate
05-29-2003, 05:29 PM
afternoon all!!

thanks for commenting...it's great fun and encouragement to have an audience here :)

sorry to confuse you Kate.....;) :D *laughing here*

I have other things to do today but decided that painting was what I NEEDED to do :)

glazes of Winsor Lemon, Permanent Sap Green and Maimeri Blu Turquoise Green. all except the "tentacles are completed on this arm of the cactus. I am really liking this one!!

comments and critiques welcomed

em

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-May-2003/9879-DSC01757cactus.jpg

artmom
05-29-2003, 05:37 PM
It is hard to believe how this is turning out!! Wonder-ful!!!!

Jprice022
05-29-2003, 07:08 PM
My, lady, you have the patience of a saint. Looking good Em.

pampe
05-29-2003, 08:12 PM
ok

so I wanna see this in person on Saturday! :)

Crystal Owl
05-29-2003, 09:24 PM
Hi Em,

This is going beautifully! I was just in Sun City West this past weekend and my Mother-in-law has one of these they called it an Elephants ear. I took about 6 Rolls of film of Grand Canyon, Sedona etc etc can't wait to see how they came out so I can paint some :) . Looking forward to the rest of this.

Irene

lyn lynch
05-29-2003, 09:56 PM
Hey! Irene! I live there, too.

Emily, Lord this is beautiful!!! I am enjoying how you have layered so the violet doesn't relate, yet it clearly intensifies the greens.

Enjoy your opening, you have worked so hard on its preparation. Wear your new hat and give me another photo to paint--a dramatic pose to commemorate your event. Oh, heck! don't bother with a hat, I'll give you one.

AZ so inspired you that I'm expecting you again in the fall. We'll bring our crap to Starbucks, meet Big Dog there and take over a section of the outside; Pamps likely will be here at that time too, and maybe Uschi who has not told me when she will be here.

pampe
05-29-2003, 10:17 PM
actually...I think we should all come at the same time....yup

*starting AZ Starbucks bank*

al22
05-29-2003, 11:04 PM
Ya got my vote..................lol Starbucks it is.........
BTW, em, they're called pads............
Now file that wonderful info for posterity...........lol
........al

mchew
05-29-2003, 11:39 PM
Wow, Emily... this is going to be fantastic!

How I wish I could get on a plane and jet off to your show... ;)

SAM of DE.
05-30-2003, 12:35 AM
I am fascinated watching this, never knew a cactus could be so EXCITING! Wonderful, thanks for showing us all the steps to get there.

coffee_girl3000
05-30-2003, 04:25 AM
Glad keyboard's working so I can comment! Coming along fantastically, rainbow of colours is beginning to show. Excited to see the end result.

Now, off to stow away on a plane, so I can come to the show :).

madmum
05-30-2003, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by coffee_girl3000
Now, off to stow away on a plane, so I can come to the show :).

Me too! lol

Looking so good, Em, still watching :)

Ruth

Olga
05-30-2003, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by pampe
ok

so I wanna see this in person on Saturday! :)

--OK, Pam...so go ahead and make sure we are all jealous... :p :D

Em--this is going to be wonderful... and now I'll be able to follow the progress as well...

Best of luck on your show opening

Olga

chookbrown
05-30-2003, 09:20 AM
Another Wow Em,.. so glad I made time to pop in here.. I LOVE your watercolors and your use of color amazes me always.

Cheers, Chooky :D:D:D

mustcreate
05-30-2003, 09:26 AM
wouldn't that be fun having a big old meeting up of Wet Canvas buddies at Starbucks in Arizona? !!!! fun to dream :)

Chook!!! you've been missed girl:crying:

thanks for all the comments.

I sure wish you all COULD be here today for my opening....that would be a blast!!

I worked a bit last night...actually, I left everything else and painted!! lol typical ;)

glazes of Winsor Lemon, Mairmari Blu Turquoise Green and Permanent Sap Green. I have to keep reminding myself to paint a few tentacles every once in awhile so I'm not left with ALL of them to paint at the end :rolleyes: b o r i n g :D

em
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2003/9879-DSC01758cactus.jpg

chookbrown
05-30-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by mustcreate
wouldn't that be fun having a big old meeting up of Wet Canvas buddies at Starbucks in Arizona? !!!! fun to dream :)

Chook!!! you've been missed girl:crying:

thanks for all the comments.

I sure wish you all COULD be here today for my opening....that would be a blast!!

I worked a bit last night...actually, I left everything else and painted!! lol typical ;)

glazes of Winsor Lemon, Mairmari Blu Turquoise Green and Permanent Sap Green. I have to keep reminding myself to paint a few tentacles every once in awhile so I'm not left with ALL of them to paint at the end :rolleyes: b o r i n g :D

em
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-May-2003/9879-DSC01758cactus.jpg

Awww.. thanks Em you are too sweet..

When are you guys gonna be in AZ again?? Hubby, the girls and I will be there in August for a WEEK!!! Yay... looking at houses and fun stuff like that to make the move around Christmas time we hope.. hard to relocate a company sometimes.. grrr.. I feel like I've been moving to AZ for two years... oh wait.. I HAVE.

Love the update of course. and I wish I was at your opening too.

Hugs and all the best for the show, you won't need it though.

Chooky :D:D:D:clap: :clap: :clap:

vestalqueen
05-30-2003, 09:30 AM
Wow, em. I've been lurking the past few days - but I've been watching this one. Just lovely! I also wanted to wish you all the very best for your show. You've worked very diligently for this, so kick back, bask and enjoy!

Erin

mustcreate
06-03-2003, 11:31 AM
thank you Erin :)

so, I've been working on this in fits and starts the last few days. not much progress really.....just continuing on with the "pads" (thanks Al ;)) layers of Winsor Lemon, Mairmari Blu Turquoise Green, and permanent Sap Green. Still lots of work to do on the pads and the prickly parts.

the photo is a little dark towards the bottom.....one of my studio lights crapped out on me. :rolleyes:

thanks for peeking

em

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2003/9879-DSC01830cactus.jpg

pampe
06-03-2003, 11:42 AM
looking great.....(in person, too:D )

chooks...AZ in August...good GAWD, girl.....no way!!!!

al22
06-03-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by pampe
looking great.....(in person, too:D )

chooks...AZ in August...good GAWD, girl.....no way!!!!

Won't be anybody home....... we all go to San Diego in August..........lol
........al

Lori Andrews
06-03-2003, 01:22 PM
I've never thought of starting a painting this way, I can't wait to see it complete. I'm from Arizona and try and paint our southwest with more vibrant colors, as I am a native and have become bored with the suttle grey colors, and this looks like it will be awesome. Am attaching a painting I did a long time ago, which, compared to yours looks like ah hem.......... crapola...
Will be back to see more...

http://www.laartgallery.net :clap:

Uschi
06-03-2003, 02:02 PM
AHA!!! The beginning of next year's show!!!!! Looks great em!! Wrote down the colours going to dry this on a piece of scrap paper.

Chook, I am in total agreement with Pam - August - NO WAY!! Got enough heat up here in summer. Winter, Winter!!???
Uschi

chookbrown
06-03-2003, 02:21 PM
Looking great Em!!!

Yeah, I know you guys... My thoughts are this:

My hubby won't consider any other state to move to other than AZ. We actually got a map and did the pro's and con's of why or why not each state would be viable. So we are left with AZ, CO and OK. Texas is a maybe.

Anyway, he raves about how he can handle the heat (he has lived in NE for 20+ yrs) I'm from Aus and can handle the heat but he wimps and turns on the aircon when it gets to 85 here!!!!

So, basically I'm being the evil wife and throwing him in at the deep end!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: Then we'll see if he still wants to live there. :D :D :D

No probs, we'll be back!!!

Evil Chooky

babybrush
06-03-2003, 02:32 PM
this is looking wonderful Em. so glad i can finally comment on it. can't wait to see it finished. so vibrant

Bethany

mustcreate
06-03-2003, 03:00 PM
thanks for looking in Pam, Al, Lori (great painting, I love the viewpoint!), Uschi, Chook, and Bethany!!

I've been working on the pointy bits and then got bored. :rolleyes: lol

Glazed some Cobalt Blue on the large bodies of the cactus. Still lots to do there. I'll have several more colours glazed on there before it's done.

thanks for peeking
em
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2003/9879-DSC01831cactus.jpg

lyn lynch
06-03-2003, 03:09 PM
:( at naughty Chookie's motovation in bringing dear kind hubby into the blast furnace. Chook's make sure his life insurance paid up. I'll be home; I'm too poor to go anywhere, but if I could it would be during August [and June, and July, and September, too].

Yes, all here at the same time would be great fun. Chooks, you need to be here, too. I have room for you as well, if you just want to come for a few days. Uschi, you too--firm up the date, please. Pamps, already coming.

Emily, and I mean NO offense to other WC! members, you throw the best WIP I have ever had the pleasure of viewing. I open all along the way to chart your progression and am simply awstruck at what you accomplish. I am particularly impressed with this cactus. I believe that when this is done I will print it off, take the poster and toddle my big Hunganian hips down to this frame stock I know to see if I can get him interested in your work. He buys the originals for production as gelecee prints [beautifully done] and looks for SW scenes, and flowers in particular. No harm in asking.

Just beautiful. Beautiful. With every painting you grow.

mustcreate
06-03-2003, 05:48 PM
fooks you are a sweetie :)

thanks for your kind words.....and you would really go to all that trouble for moi? it's not expected so don't feel obligated....but you are incredible for even thinking about it. !!

ok....so, if anyone is still following along.....I did a glaze of Maimari Blu Turquoise Green on the bodies of the cacti.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2003/9879-DSC01832cactus.jpg

then Susie came over and it was decided (thanks Susie ;)) that the main cactus bodies needed some warmth to tie in with the background.....so I held my breath and laid in some Quinacridone Red. Susie says....rather excitedly...."not so much!!" lol I blended some and it was just the right amount. lol Then I glazed some Permanent Sap Green to dull and darken the main cacti bodies. I think I'm going to leave them be now and just work on the little details like the spike scars and such. Who knows, it might need another wash or two of something or other. lol

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2003/9879-DSC01833cactus.jpg

thanks for peeking
em

chookbrown
06-03-2003, 06:12 PM
Man.. didn't think it was possible but this just gets better and better.. Thank you so much for sharing your technique and ideas.. Much appreciated.

Chooky :D:D:D

artmom
06-03-2003, 06:29 PM
Em, being an Easterner, I never thought that cacti could hold me in such thrall!!!! But this is the most intimate I have ever gotten with a cactus! LOL Wonderful, too marvelous for words!

CharM
06-03-2003, 09:17 PM
OhMyGosh Em!!! Attending one of your wip-alongs is almost as good as attending your Opening... ok.. maybe not... :evil: BUT this has been such fun to watch it develop... it's definitely coming off my printer for CLOSE examination and instruction!!!

Merlot
06-03-2003, 09:52 PM
Em, I've been following along and you must have the patience of a saint!!! This is beautiful. All those spikes individually painted. It is a masterpiece. Very interesting perspective and the colors are wonderful. I need to quit my job so I can spend more time painting.:evil: Then I too could do all those spikes or whatever LOL:D I haven't used alot of under painting so I am learning a great deal from this thread. Amazing to see the colors transform. New things to try!!!!! Waiting for the grand finale although it looks darn good now!

pampe
06-03-2003, 10:04 PM
OHMIGAWD

those blues

*passing out in Montana*

(wonder if that's the one she bought Saturday;) )

M.A.
06-03-2003, 10:08 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

painterbear
06-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Love the deep colors on the largest pads and the lively greens on the little, younger ones. Lookin good!!!

laudesan
06-30-2003, 10:41 PM
Did you finish this painting and if you did may we see it please????

JJ

SAM of DE.
07-01-2003, 12:12 AM
All those washes and No mud? I am definitely in need of this wip. Thanks so much for letting us look in, wonderful!
Sharon

mustcreate
07-01-2003, 12:31 AM
thank you all for being so patient and for commenting.

I did finally finish this last week. I was avoiding it because of all the tiny little details :rolleyes: :p

Here is the completed painting.

thanks for looking and commenting.

thanks to JJ for remembering about this WIP and bringing it back up :)

em

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2003/9879-seaanemonecactuswc.jpg

Faafil
07-01-2003, 12:47 AM
Yowza ! Beeeeyooootiful !!! the colors mingling are just fantastic.... your WIPS are the best !!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

PMurphy42
07-01-2003, 12:52 AM
This is so nice.....I love the background......really makes the cactus shine!

laudesan
07-01-2003, 01:34 AM
Thank you Em, the WIP has been sooooo informative, and the finished product is just amazing.

JJ

dspinks
07-01-2003, 01:36 AM
Love the pearly iridescence. This is marvelous.

Debra

violet feme
07-01-2003, 01:40 AM
Wow em!............BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

al22
07-01-2003, 01:42 AM
Hi ya em........ I especially like the large pad in the bottom right........great dimension to it and super duper (tech term....lol) color to it. The new growth is great and the warm glow bg radiates just the right amount of heat.....
.......al

lyn lynch
07-01-2003, 01:44 AM
Yes, Em, looks IRL. Fascinating WIP. I was looking at mine today and it's getting a few more blooms--amazing--it is so happy in that spot. BTW, the little nipper on the bottom is the beginning of a bloom--the formation for a bloom starts just like a pad, but when studied, it's quite different.

painterbear
07-01-2003, 05:23 AM
Hi Em,

I'm glad JJ prodded you into showing us this finished gem. I agree with everything Al said about the special little bits. The overall painting is wonderful too. Terrific job, lots of patience as well as talent on your part. ;)

pampe
07-01-2003, 11:30 AM
wonderful finish, lil sis

Kate Mc
07-01-2003, 12:37 PM
Wow! Amazing, as usual.

thanks for showing us the process. I just bought some Winsor Violet, and I think I'll try some underpainting--I keep thinking about how different the process is--setting the values first, and then doing the color as a separate step. I've never tried that, but after seeing how it's done, I'm ready to try it!

Waiting for the next one...

Kate

artmom
07-01-2003, 12:58 PM
Em, fan-tab-u-lous finale!!

mustcreate
07-01-2003, 01:25 PM
thanks everyone :):)

sorry to drag this WIP out so long :rolleyes: it wasn't my intention.

em

madmum
07-01-2003, 01:30 PM
:clap:

As usual I love your colours! I'm with Al, that big pad on the right is gorgeous!

Ruth

Margie L
07-01-2003, 02:12 PM
So beautiful. I particularly like the fire red background. Great contrast to the greens of the cactus.
:clap: :clap:

vestalqueen
07-01-2003, 03:57 PM
Gorgeous finish, Emily.

Erin

mustcreate
07-03-2003, 12:46 PM
thank you Ruth, Margie and Erin :)

em

Merlot
07-03-2003, 01:45 PM
Beautiful finish. I just loooooove the colors!!! I haven't painted anything for 2 weeks (because of vacation)and I've just been inspired! Great painting!

mustcreate
07-03-2003, 07:38 PM
how nice to hear you were inspired by my WIP Joann:)

thanks for commenting:)

em

M.A.
07-03-2003, 07:55 PM
STUNNING!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

CharM
07-03-2003, 08:12 PM
Em, it never ceases to amaze me... you transform simple objects into art by starting with purple... like all your other wips, this one has been inspirational... and worth the wait!!! Thanks for being so patient in working all the little spines... Thanks for sharing...

mustcreate
07-03-2003, 09:59 PM
thanks MA:)

Char....thank YOU for putting your thoughts into words. it is really appreciated:)

em

Aselka
07-03-2003, 10:13 PM
Looks beautiful. I do not usually comment until painting is finished to not intervene with artists vision of painting. Now when it is finished, all i can say that it is absolutely wonderful. I love variation of color and rich greens. It is so intresting to see all variety of the same color in one painting, from cold greens to warm and bright, almost neon.
Congratulations,

Aselka

krough
07-04-2003, 01:42 AM
I have been roaming in the galleries in Scottsdale on Main Street and I think you should send in your slides. This peice would work perfect at a number of the galleries on the art walk! Beautiful and unique!

Crystal Owl
07-04-2003, 09:27 AM
What everyone else said ! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nice job Em!

Irene

mustcreate
07-04-2003, 02:28 PM
thank you Aselka, Kristin and Irene:)

SAM of DE.
07-05-2003, 12:41 AM
Jumps right off the page!WONderful!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Sue Galos
07-05-2003, 12:45 PM
Its beautiful ...
Sue

Rich Williams
07-05-2003, 02:51 PM
EM missed this while it was being worked on but read through it all and saw the great finish you achieved.. Way to go Girl!!!!!!!!

Rich

mustcreate
07-07-2003, 09:18 AM
thank you Sharon, Sue and Rich!!!

I sound like a broken record but I really do appreciate you taking the time to comment:)

em

lpb
03-01-2008, 07:36 PM
This is an awesome demo of your purple underpainting technique! I thought I'd bump this up to current for others to enjoy again! :clap:

HarvestMoon
03-01-2008, 07:57 PM
this is stunning... and it may just be me.... but it could have so easily become- a cactus....

painterbear
03-02-2008, 05:22 AM
This is another of our "oldies but goodies" threads which has a wonderful amount of information on a terrific technique.

Sylvia

olliewood0702
03-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Em's work is always SO AMAZING to watch come together.:clap: :thumbsup: