PDA

View Full Version : Josephine Baker

somerset
05-25-2003, 09:36 PM
A nude of the late Josephine Baker with facial characteristics of Picasso's 'Le Demoiselles d'Avignon'.

Photoshop Elements 2
A tad too much texture which I think I can fix, but otherwise what are your thoughts?

Josephine Baker here
http://silent-movies.com/Ladies/PBaker1.html

Picasso here
http://moma.org/collection/depts/paint_sculpt/blowups/paint_sculpt_006.html

surreal
05-26-2003, 11:25 AM
Hi Michael,

This is an interesting image.

It reminds me of a scene from a horror flick.

:)

somerset
05-26-2003, 12:45 PM
Thaks for commenting Nina, I may take it a little further in that direction.

timelady
05-26-2003, 01:34 PM
And a hint of Francis Bacon too, to me.

Tina.

somerset
05-26-2003, 01:42 PM
ok Tina, you are the second person to mention that. The first was in structured critiques (see, I really do want feedback) I will go find him as I am unfamilar with his work.

Thanks for commenting.

somerset
05-26-2003, 01:49 PM
Wow! Francis Bacon is something. An urbane Alfred Hitchcock using oil as his medium. I'll take a hint of his anyday.

somerset
05-28-2003, 09:35 PM
thought about it & decided that Josephine Baker was far too alluring IRL to deliberately make ghoulish. hopefully this can be read as a 'flash' to a fan or reporter as she ascends the stairway. she was rather outrageous, you know.
All criticisms welcomed.

CarlyHardy
05-28-2003, 10:25 PM
Yes, the turn of the head gives a more feline sense to her movement.
carly

somerset
05-29-2003, 03:12 AM
Carly. Thank you for noticing such a subtle change in a rather harsh image.

Stefan
05-29-2003, 10:29 AM
well i enjoyed it a touch more in the original post
but its not a bad addition to the painting

but im gonna say please dont touch it again

I really dig this, fantastic painting.
I am a fan of Bacon and yea theres a slight touch of him in this, though he distorted the proportions and angles wheras you mainly just made the face blurred.

anyway, I this this painting kicks ass and if it were on a nice print I would probably consider buying it.

somerset
05-29-2003, 11:55 AM
Stefan... thank you for liking and for your critique. Voting with $$$ is among the ultimate compliments. I am currrently experimenting with fine art ink jet paper in advance of hiring a commercial Giclee printer. As this is a rather expensive process initially, I want to get an idea of which pieces may look ok before submitting work to the printer. Anyway, once I find paper that works well with my HP (wish I had an Epson) I will be happy to give you one for the cost of shipping.

LDianeJohnson
05-29-2003, 09:27 PM
somerset,

You created this inside Elements? Good job. The composition is strong, much action and good color balance. Two observations...

1. We tend to want to go direct to a figure's face. That being the case, the face while wanting to be abstracted, could use just a bit more clarification to match the more realistic torso. Or, on the flip-side, further distort the torso to work with the head.

2. The fabric draping the left shoulder is very nicely handled, however, the edge that meets the arm is a bit harder than it should be to go with the rest of the painting. (Minor observation.)

The back is beautifully handled.

Diane

Healer
05-29-2003, 09:32 PM
Somerset,

I'm digging the Hitchcock reference there. I used to watch his movies again and again. If he was still with us he'd love this piece. She's beautiful but cunning - something he always liked with his characters - and she looks like she's done something sinister. So yes, this one's a winner for me. I do slightly prefer the first version though, but I'd say keep with the second too because you've removed some of the (dare I say it) bacon-ness. I also have to mention it reminds me of a particular scene from the movie "Don't Look Back" (Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie). The scene has been imprinted in my life since the day I saw the film when I was a teenager.

Andy

somerset
05-29-2003, 10:03 PM
Diane... thank you for your observations. I was wondering about the head/torso 'match';altho deliberate did anyone else found it distracting. Should it be all of a piece or not? Felt I was too close to decide. LOL, I now have a much greater appreciation of the back.

Andy...thank you for commenting. BTW, I've got a small order of encaustic waxes & paper on the way. I'd like to PM you for guidance from time to time, ok? For the record, I slightly prefer the 1st rendition as well but as half of those responding made mention of the 'bacon-ness' it became important to reduce those elements.

Healer
05-30-2003, 06:15 PM
Michael,

No problemo. You are welcome to PM me for guidance.

Andy :angel: