edenart
05-25-2003, 08:10 PM
yellow composition #1

24x24 inches
acrylic on canvas

comments welcome

surreal
05-25-2003, 08:55 PM
It's a beautiful tapestry of color and pattern.

amanda
05-26-2003, 02:11 AM
Immediately this reminded me of a well known (in Australia) artist called Ken Done. Here is a link to his website, navigate around to check out his style.

http://www.done.com.au/

rapolina
05-26-2003, 05:55 AM
nice and solar!
did you think about something while painting it?
ciao, rapolina.

edenart
05-26-2003, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the comments.

Checked out Ken Done. I'm in NYC and hadn't ever heard of him. Very colorful work. Nice minimal figures. I like his beach paintings. May do some myself if I can ever get to the beach. I also liked some of his really minimal still life work. Almost look like cut-outs. Thanks for sharing.

I do think about things when I'm painting, but only AFTER the work is in progress. I start with shapes, random lines. I have worked up a series of hieroglyphs that appear in my abstracts. They mean things to me, but may not necessarily mean something to the person viewing the work. Angels, spirals, fish... a lot of them are religious references from my childhood. Anyway, I start with these images and then see what emerges.

For example, with this particular painting, when I started it, the work was the other way up... upside-down. And I was painting shapes that I felt were very "bird" to me and suddenly I felt myself painting "chicken feet chicken feet chicken feet"... Then when it came time to paint the yellow background (after the shapes were blocked in), I looked at the work from all sides and suddenly this current arrangement had more meaning to me.

I saw the "chicken feet" as trees, or possibly people celebrating with their arms outstretched. So, I painted the smaller detail work with that feeling in mind. A sunny day, pueblo buildings, celebration, rolling hills, hot pink sun, three jumping goldfish, a teepee, peyote, and other images from my mexican heritage emerged.

The reason this has no title is that it is a commission. I do custom abstract work where the client gives me a color (in this case YELLOW) and I do what I want with it. The client has no say in the work, but if they want to give me a title, I will work with that as inspiration. This particular client did not want to give me a title. It's the first time I've done a yellow custom abstract, hence the name "yellow composition #1".

Thanks for asking.

ginatec
05-26-2003, 11:08 AM
Great work...lovely bright sunny colors!

lgol27
05-29-2003, 12:53 PM
I like your "Big city in summer". Very good work.

amanda
05-30-2003, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by edenart
Thanks for the comments.

Checked out Ken Done. I'm in NYC and hadn't ever heard of him. Very colorful work. Nice minimal figures. I like his beach paintings. May do some myself if I can ever get to the beach. I also liked some of his really minimal still life work. Almost look like cut-outs. Thanks for sharing.

No worries at all. Glad you enjoyed Ken Done. He's a well know artist in Australia but I don't know how well know he would be overseas.

prtpix
05-30-2003, 02:50 AM
I think they are beautiful Eden.
My 11 year old son and I have been having great fun cutting various weard shapes from mylar.
I would have maybe 7 different shapes and We would take turns useing the shapes to trace on our canvases. I learned this from my instructor in Painting and Decorating Class. He is a wonderful talented artist. His talent never failed to amaze me,
I have bean shapes, triangle shapes, banana shapes and so much more. One of the paintings I did with this technique is in my auctions right now. I also have another acount with E_Bay where I listed a couple of my sons paintings
His a pretty much copies of mine. So, I did'nt want to list them with mine. He even did a sun flower with me the other night.
But, MOst of all he liked doing the shapes paintings with his momma.