PDA

View Full Version : textural abstract

jolie
05-25-2003, 04:29 PM
Hiya,

I did this piece a while back, but never posted it because I struggled to get a halfway decent picture of it. It has a high gloss finish and is SO difficult to photograph. I sent it the gallery and unfortunately, it didn't sell. I finally got a so-so picture, but the green at the top is a little more turquoisy and vibrant in real life.

It's 14x18 inches, ink and acrylic gesso on canvas. Perhaps I should have done it larger scale. Oh well!

Jolie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2003/7623-BlueGreenTexture.jpg

...and a detail shot

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2003/7623-BlueGreenTexture_detail.jpg

Stefan
05-25-2003, 04:40 PM
ive recently began working in texture.
Its something I have had a hard time doing since I never have liked acrylics.

I bought some acrylic modelling paste though and have finished one painting highly textured and was somewhat happy with it, the one on the easle now has potential, but then again dont they all in the beginning?
its the end that counts...

anyway. You look like you photographed it well considering it being glossy.
The only thing I would say is maybe mix up the shapes a bit?

-Stefan

jolie
05-25-2003, 04:57 PM
Stefan,

Thanks for the reply. The shapes were actually all created very randomly. On the bottom, I applied gesso over ink, then ran the edge of the palette knife through it many times in an arc fashion. On the top, I randomly applied the gesso too, but didn't run the palette knife through it. I just built up over many layers, alternating between gesso and ink. I'm curious about what you mean by mix up the shapes, as I don't really see anything but the randomness. I'd like to get a better feel for what you mean, so that I can use the suggestion to improve the next painting.

By the way, I'd love to see what you're working on too. How do you like the modeling paste? I haven't tried it yet, but have been tempted to buy some. I've always preferred acrylic gesso for texture, but just recently bought some gloss gel medium. I've discovered I love it! It's great, because it has such body and really takes on texture well, but since it's clear, you can build up and isolate colors between layers.

Thanks again,
Jolie

surreal
05-26-2003, 11:28 AM
I like the textures and colors.

jenna_searcher
05-26-2003, 03:58 PM
woo jolie - glad to see a post from you. i love the bottom of this piece especially. it has great depth and texture; a roadmap, an atlas of touch. :)
have you painted any more nudes lately?

jolie
05-26-2003, 04:48 PM
jenna,

thanks! i'm glad you like it. i just started a new nude, but haven't done any lately. the only one i've posted is the final version of one i posted several months ago. i finally fixed her and called her done! i posted "Isabella" at the same time as this one. I'll let you know when the new one is finished.

surreal,

thanks. you are always so encouraging.

Jolie

Stefan
05-27-2003, 07:20 PM
hey sorry for the delayed response jolie

yea well i dunno something about the shapes in the lower portion just seem a little repeated to me. Its the curve of the lines in the bottom portion. Even though theyre random, and look random too by the way, they still feel like theyre one in the same.

Kinda like sperm in a dish, they all are facing different directions and bent slightly different, but still look the same u know what i mean?

but you also have the line cross sectioning the painting giving the curves something straight to reflect or bounce off from, whatever. But it kinda feels like theyre needed a little more straight lines or squared angles or something sharp to counter their squirmyness hehe.

I dunno... guess its not the best explanation, it makes sense in my head though. :confused:

Anyway,
I dont think it ruins the painting, so I hope your not taking it that way.

Stefan
05-27-2003, 07:24 PM
oh yea
well the modelling paste is nice, and the gel is nice too.
I have finished one painting using them, at least i think its finished.
I have been debating whether to post it or not... Guess I am just waiting for the right time or feeling...

Looking forward to your upcoming nude, theyve always been my favorites of yours.

jolie
05-28-2003, 07:34 AM
stefan,

thanks for taking the time to come back and explain what you mean. i really appreciate it. i took at look at the painting again, trying to see it through your eyes and i think i see what you mean now. you made some great points and i may experiment a bit with your idea on my next textural abstract. by the way, i didn't take your comments negatively at all. i post my work because i realize i am a novice, as well as being too close to my work to be subjective about it. we're all here to learn (i think), so though i hope that people critique sensitively (you did), i also want honesty. how else will i improve?

i really hope you post your new painting, because i'm dying to see what you did with your new media. my nude may be a little while coming, because i'm not sure i like the direction it's going. i was going for a different color combo and it's quite possible i made a bad choice! lol i decided to stop painting and think on her for a few days. i've moved on to something entirely different, and i can't wait to get photos so i can see if i accomplished what i was going for.

thanks again,
jolie