PDA

View Full Version : hello

Christina Manwell
07-16-1999, 12:54 PM
Hello,

My name is Christina Manwell. I will be teaching Art to grades K-8 next year. I would love to chat with other teachers about lesson plans, keeping kids excited, working with multiple age groups, dicipline in the classroom,ADD kids,....Please visit my home page at: http://www.eskimo.com/~manwell/index.html

anitaarts
07-23-1999, 10:32 PM
Hi
Great to hear you're excited..I hold 6 years experience teaching in all grades..I taught for a while as a jr and sr high art teacher and not long ago in an Elementary school.My email address is Anitaarts@hotmail.com

gypsy
08-15-1999, 11:32 PM
Hi Cristina, Welcome to the world of teaching art. Brief history - after raisung six children and their father, and several businesses, it became my turn. I always knew that I was an artist, but 11 years ago I developed an attitude and got serious. Opened my studio and gallery in the middle of a marina that we owned (dumb place, right?)People came in and soon were asking about lessons, so, I started a small class of watercolor painters. Turned out that as long as I kept one step ahead of them it went well(I had to constantly study and improve) and soon I developed a reputation as a good teacher. From there I progressed to teaching all mediums as I get bored easily doing the same thing over and over. Now I have a waiting list to get into my classes and am certified as a teacher/artist with Sanford/Grumbacher. I just returned from conference where I was honored to be asked to teach two watercolor classes. It was wonderful fun teaching oil and acrylic artists to watercolor! As the grandmother of 15 ranging from 5 t0 20 years old, I am always teaching the children and their friends. If I can be of any help to you please contact me at: ktrish928@mindspring.com

Christina Manwell
08-17-1999, 01:13 AM
I am wondering what kind of general format you both(or anyone)use to move through your class. I generaly do a short review, move on to something new including a group discussion, describe the project step by step, then walk around and help as needed.
What have you found works best for you?

anita Stewart
12-01-1999, 12:56 AM
Christina
sounds like you're doing a great job.That moving around the room is very important as well as making sure they understand how your lessons relate to evryday life.Plus I think it's important to mix in a little art history along the way. I have used an art time line through the years that I think is helpful.Putting different ones in leadership roles is also helpful and encouraging to both the teacher and the students.
I enjoy teaching. My days seem to fly by how about yours?

Christina Manwell
12-03-1999, 07:05 AM
Yes, sometimes they do go by too fast. My classes are an hour long. I try to keep the talking time to 15 min. so that they have enough time to finish the projects we are working on. Clean up and set up time as you know depends on what media we are using. They all work at such different paces. If a child gets done really fast I encourage hime to work a little more on it, but if someone is really slow I hate to rush them. How do you handle that?

anita Stewart
12-03-1999, 07:18 PM
When I taught the youger ones(elementary) I sarted teh year with rules, expectations, etc adn a project that would take a very long time to finish. We made this bokks about me<I called it.I had them fold a piece of paper.You could use manilla or reg. large drawing paper.They folded it to form a book. Teh book would fild up into something similar to a greetin card but you could also unfold it to look like a fence.I had them design each section ina similar format:1.front cover-you doing your favorite thing..What do you like to do? play soccer, collect Pokemon cards,etc. 2.Draw you as a baby.What did you look like? Who held you? took care of you? Make it interesting more thatn just a baby in a crib..3.Draw your whole family.Challenge: Draw them doing an activity.4.Draw your house.What is in your front yard? What is special about your house?
4.....5.....6....7....( You get the drift)8.Last one design this back cover using your initials.
We folded the paper so there was 4 on one side and 4 on the back side of the"fence".They really enjoyed this project and I would have them bring it out whenver they finished working on the assignment for the day.
Do you have them make a portfolio? How do you keep track of them?
For the older kids you could assign a dairy that they had to work on adn be finished with by the end of the quarter, 9 weeks, etc..I usually assigned about 10 drawings..Wehnever they finish they can go back to their journals..I have in the pst gottten kids to record what they see..Like what do you see when you look at clouds? Record it and develop it..I use this now as a professional artist. You can check out my work at in the virtual gallery here on Wetcanvas.Can you figure out which one came from a leaf from a plant? a pile of wasclothes?I think there's one from a slat in my wooden floor. I call them meamorhosis,or third eye mets..I have more at the site:www.thecolony-art.com..I hope this helps with ideas..Let me know if you have more questions....

anita Stewart
12-03-1999, 07:22 PM
oops..Some of my previous reply got jumbled up..Sorry..I hope you can make it out..The 4..../5..../6.../7... is out of order..Those guys jumped into the wrong spot...I need to proof read more ..Sorry

anita Stewart
12-03-1999, 07:29 PM
ok LEt me try again..Some of the stuff got deleated and I know you can't make heads or tails out of how to do the ME BOOK.
1.front cover-Draw you doing something..What do you like to do? soccer? swimming?Pokemon? 2.Draw you as a baby._ What did you look like? Who took care of you? Please make this more interesting than just a baby in a baby bed..
3.Draw your family..Have them doing an ctivity..What do you like to do as a family?
4. Draw your house..What is special about your house?
other ideas-friends you play with, pets, vacations,grandparents..You get the drift..

kemshmi
12-30-1999, 03:13 AM
Oh Good http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif I have found a nice place..
I am just begining to teach classes in watercolor..I am a self~taught artist in several mediums..I am not sure what level of experience the students will bring to the class..it is adults (guessing) beginning and intermediate..also I plan to begin childrens classes (I am currently homes~chooling my 8 year old daughter, and come from a family of educators), planning is a bit tricky as I have not done this before..i plan to go over basic materials used first, also to be sure to have more material ready than I think we can go over in a session (just in case it moves fast) the sessions are about 2 hours each..eight weeks long. I have come up with some step by step plans..i.e., finished simple painting of a flower, and two of the same pieces in process so I can demonstrate..any and all ideas will be welcome..I think I need to teach just above the current level of knowledge..not too advanced ..or too simple. I hope this will build up to more classes in a similar way that gypsy described..I am excited about this new venture..but still new territory for me.. e~mail if you like kemshmi@freewwweb.com

Christina Manwell
12-31-1999, 03:28 PM
You've all been very helpful here. I really appreciate having a place that I can go to for advice.

Kemshmi, sounds like we have a lot in common. I home-schooled my two girls for the first four years. I've never regreted it and I am considering home-schooling again for there High-School years.

I really appreciate the advice about keeping lessons just slightly ahead of the current level, but when you have a brand new group of students, how do you test to see where they are? And if they are at different levels, where do you start? I ask because one of my classes renews every three months. Some of my previous students always sign up, but I always have new students. Any ideas?

Christina
http://www.artistnation.com/members/lofts/ cmanwell/

kemshmi
12-31-1999, 08:50 PM
Christina..I have not yet begun teaching my art classes..the first 8 week session is due to begin on the 12th of Jan., I think I can look at the individuals work and see what areas they can or may need to work on..in that way ponting out direction to the individual..as far as the group goes, I think each will get from the class what they are "ready for"..for analogy, if a group of people were looking at Picassos work, some of the people may have a knowledge and understanding of what he was trying to do with cubism and there fore see a "deeper' level in the work, but all of the individuals would enjoy the work and come away from the experience with somthing new. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif
knowing your returning students, you may be able to have them try new styles or areas that they have not approached previously?..such as use only ultramarine and sienna for a series of paintings..or if they are doing only small pieces have them get some large paper..or vice/versa..

I am interested in how you present your classes, where do you begin?..what do you show them or have them do?..ideas please..

Happy New Millenium everyone

anita Stewart
01-01-2000, 01:41 AM
looks like we all 3 have something in common.. I teach homeschoolers in my studio as well as adult classes. If you're interested in seeing their work go to HuggingHands.com and look under Buford School of Art.. The site has children's work from all over the world..

kemshmi
01-01-2000, 03:35 AM
Anita, and Christina, I am trying to get info on what you guys actually DO in your classes?..how do the sessions go?..what do you do?..what do the students do?..also are your classes several weeks long or?

I will be teaching in an empty studio..not my own, but I can store things there if needed. what (exactly) do you have your students bring/purchase for your classes..

I am sure I will be fine, but i have not done this yet, so I am trying to pick your experienced brains http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif..what as a new teacher of painting do I need to know..what are your adult students interested in learning..how did your first classes go..what do you do now??

I hope to build on this into more class sessions, (and have already been asked to do a childrens class on Saturdays..)so i am hoping for those students who sign up to keep signing up..soooo..I have to be well prepared

thanks for any advice

kemshmi
01-02-2000, 05:20 PM
Thanks Christina..

I noticed we do have nuch in common (My husband and I are cuurently working on putting in a koi pond!!) I am sure the classes will be fine..I do have so much information already..I think I was more (maybe overly) concerned as to what I would do in my classes, but from everything I have seen..i.e. what others present in their classes and workshops I think I am on the right track with the ideas and brainstorming that I have done..after I have begun, when my feet are wet, and I have a feel for this, I plan to begin orgainizing to teach both adult and childrens classes/workshops in my studio at home begining in the spring (I am fortunate to have a very large studio as a seperate building on the property)

You have some very nice work on your page http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif I especially love your horse sketches..

thanks for your support

Christina Manwell
01-03-2000, 01:32 AM
I thought I had posted this whole thing before, but apparently it didn't work. Please forgive me if it shows up twice....

I had the privelege of teaching Art in my children's 4,5,6 grade co-op class for two years. We learned about Artis't and their styles,i.e. Renee Magrite and Surrealism, and careers in Art, i.e. Illustrator, the first year. Since some of the children would be in the same class the second year, I couldn't teach the same lessons, so I focused on the Elements of Art and the Principles of Design for the second year. We critiqued prints of Artwork that the school had available. I tried to use the prints to develope higher level thinking skills. The kids came up with some amazing insights! Of course I tried to follow the state's guidelines for this, using lessons from the internet, school curriculum and the local library.

After my children moved on to Middle school, I beleive the Lord opened a new door for me. I started teaching for a program offered through our local school dist. called the School Home Partnership Program. The program offers curriculum, guidance, and testing to home-schoolers by certified teachers. It also offers classes taught by so called "experts in their field" The classes change every quarter. I started teaching Art, and Literature Circles.They have hired me to teach Health this next quarter also, that should be interesting.

I also teach Art at a different school for an after-school program they offer. The Parents pay for this one, so I try to focus on fun projects, and cut back some on the educational aspects for this one.

The general format for all these classes goes something like this:

1. Introduce a subject, view pictures, and get children to share thoughts.
2. Demonstrate the activity we will be doing that ties in with the subject.
3. Walk around and give the kids one on one help and encouragement.

Hope this helps a little,
Christina

anita Stewart
01-09-2000, 02:07 AM
Hi
Here' a little more specific information about my classes that I hope will help.
I teach currently 3 classes a week. I started 2 years ago teaching in a center for homeschoolers.I then transfered to my studio at the request of one of the moms. I started with one student and have worked up to about 10- 11 students between the 3 classes.
I try to keep the ages as close together as possible. Right now I'm teaching a class from 4;30 - 6pm that involves the media that I prefer to use( water color crayons,water color pencils ,pastels,oil pastels) but I haven't always done that. Generally there is more interest in drawing than anything else. Some want to paint. I put emphasis on learning the basics .My goal is to provide lessons that they will enjoy but will also gain alot from.I have taught lots of classes both to adults and kids 9 and up, Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. It's a classic and a proven way to improve anyone's skills if they have never had the course..I started my adults out this way as well. Then I had a student who wanted to paint and she wanted to get away from structured classes.So, now I'm holding an open workshop. I charge my adults a little differently than the kids.. I hold one and half hour lessons with the kids and my adults vary from 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours.. Adults enjoy longer classes. At this point I offer to teach Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain or let them bring whatever medium they wish to work on ..This has been going pretty good so far..
I based my rates on what others charge and keep the amount comporable.
I have them buy the supplies but I have taught clases where the school would buy the materials for the students but charged a bit extra to compensate for it.
I don't use just one book per say because I have experience and knowledge of so many books. I try to use art books for : ideas,to teach the elements,talk about art history-always trying to note when the work was done,adn styles of art.Please feel free to contact me Email at Anitaats@hotmail.com.I'd be glad to help..

kemshmi
01-11-2000, 04:29 AM
thanks for responding Anita..
i think i will be fine *whew*..but all of the information people have offered has been very helpful http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif

i had tried using "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" with my daughter, she may have been a bit too young she is 8 now,and I had it out about a year ago. I noticed you mentioned that you use it for kids 9 and up..I think it is a very good book, i also have another book by the same author (Betty___..I dont recall the name offhand (hers or the books, I'd have to dig it out from somewhere)

I will keep it in mind if I see that people are asking me for drawing instruction..I like the idea of "open classes" as well, thats a new one for me http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/cool.gif

thanks again for all your input.. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/biggrin.gif
kemshmi

anita
01-15-2000, 12:29 AM
good luck..every class you teach sharpens your skills just a little bit more..I think a good teacher will always yearn to learn and will encourage his/her students to do the same.
Are you refering to Drawing on the Artist With in by Betty Edwards??
If you are interested in teaching 5-8 age group try the Monart style...I can't remember the title right off but the woman's name is Mona..
I bet you're a good teacher.. Only a good one would ask about ways to improve..It's neat to share what you know ,huh?