PDA

View Full Version : April 22 paint along - students' work

sherrysherman
04-22-2012, 03:44 PM
This is a thread for students for those who painted along on the April 22 paint along or if you try it later, from J's work or from the recording. Post your work here for sharing, viewing, comments, etc.

Please note that Johannes has said he does NOT plan to critique on these paint-along paintings. He says just compare your painting with his. (Do we have to?) :wink2:

robertsloan2
04-22-2012, 04:28 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2012/70184-4-22-2012-House-After-Johannes-Vloothuis.jpg
House on the Hill
8" x 10"
Pan Pastels, Girault Pastels and Carb-Othello Pastel Pencils
Light Grey Strathmore Artagain pastel paper.
Painted after Johannes Vloothuis paint-along demo April 22.

nstep68214
04-22-2012, 04:36 PM
This is great, Robert!!

LADickerman
04-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Oh Robert.....yours is so good. I'm still practicing...but I'm glad I had the shades set of Pans this week as well as my new Painters set. Mine is 10x10 on the backside of the paper I used last week. Not the same sheet I just wanted to try a smoother tooth.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2012/188330-22April2012_Class.jpg

Lorianne

robertsloan2
04-22-2012, 05:10 PM
Lorianne, yours is coming along great. Shades are so useful. This painting took quite a few Shades. I was just using my Painters 10 set and really missed the Paynes Grey, I can see how you've used it in yours. You got both of the dormers in. I wound up eliminating one because I could not make sense of the architecture.

Noula
04-22-2012, 05:37 PM
Painted along with Johannes in watercolors. Tried to lift the paints for lights. Lots of blooms! Thanks Joe, it was fun.

Athena

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2012/243521-PaintAlong.JPG

upthebloodytree
04-22-2012, 05:55 PM
Ok, Here's my attempt, not sure I like it, but I learnt a lot.
Thanks Johannes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2012/226446-paintalong.gif

piggiepie
04-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Wow, everybody's painting so far is amazing! I tried to create my own ground this morning on canvas board. I still need to invest in some decent pastels. I was very frustrated with my material but, oh well....The life of a poor artist...lol

I did to do an underpainting in watercolor and then proceeded with pan pastels and stick pastels. Trying new techniques.......not sure if it transpired. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2012/27200-IMG_0764.JPG

Sienna black
04-22-2012, 06:46 PM
Hi all,
That was a great class. I really enjoyed it. I am really tired, but happy I did it. I think my painting is finished. Critics welcome!:clap:

piggiepie
04-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Hi all,
That was a great class. I really enjoyed it. I am really tired, but happy I did it. I think my painting is finished. Critics welcome!:clap:

Sometimes I wish there was a like button.....You did such an amazing job! :cat:

xli
04-22-2012, 06:55 PM
Here is my paint along. I could not make the water tower right. It is so hard to make it that way Johannes did. It always either too prominent or too faint. Can't get it just right. Anyways, here is my painting without the water tower.

zipster
04-22-2012, 07:31 PM
Xli your painting is lovely - well done :)

callady
04-22-2012, 08:11 PM
I painted along with pan pastels and sticks. I think I need to purchase some pastel pencils since it was hard getting a thin line. Lots of fun though and would like to do this again. Thanks for inviting us to join your class. It was almost like being there....listening to everyone chat.

Johannes Instructor
04-22-2012, 09:50 PM
Hi all,
You are making your visual path too obvious, thus too fast. Let the viewer go in lazily. Don't rush him.

Johannes Instructor
04-22-2012, 09:51 PM
Ok, Here's my attempt, not sure I like it, but I learnt a lot.
Thanks Johannes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2012/226446-paintalong.gif
Mood looks good. Personally I don't ruch my viewer in by obvious visual paths.

Johannes Instructor
04-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Painted along with Johannes in watercolors. Tried to lift the paints for lights. Lots of blooms! Thanks Joe, it was fun.

Athena

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2012/243521-PaintAlong.JPG
Blooms is good for foregrounds that are impressionist. So your foreground is good.

Johannes Instructor
04-22-2012, 09:53 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2012/70184-4-22-2012-House-After-Johannes-Vloothuis.jpg
House on the Hill
8" x 10"
Robert it is quite good but your rocks are too symmetrical and the visual path is toto fast and manufactured. Other than that good job!

oCDs01-711
04-22-2012, 10:12 PM
For all those who are reading this thread, but was not able to join the class, you missed an amazing session! It was long but well worth the time. I felt like I was with "friends." I know it sounds "girlsy" but I LOVED IT!:D

For the first time ever I decided to try to follow along, but immediately I knew I was out of my league,:eek: but I kept with it. I couldn't even get the colors right because I was rushing to keep up, but I kept at it. Messed up really bad around the chimney. My eyes just did not see that area clearly, partly because I was trying too hard. I kept turning toward the screen to listen and watch Johannes and I'd forget what I was doing on the canvas:confused: . Then I'd concentrate on painting and I'd forget to listen to Johannes.:confused: I had a wonderful time.:clap:

I persevered and got down a part of the first layer of wrong colors and some wrong shapes. But I did it!:lol: What a journey. I have no experience with landscapes, but I certainly intend to finish this painting although it is only an 8x10.

Thanks, Johannes for a valuable and memorable trip!

Shirley

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2012/283401-2012_April_Johannes_Live_001.JPG

chalet_dor
04-22-2012, 10:16 PM
House on the Hill
8" x 10"

Hello Robert:wave:
Very interesting to see how you handled today's work. All this is so new to me. Love how you reduced the complexity. I will learn from everyone.
So glad I finally found this link. Trying to figure out how to download the video of todays class...................help........dor:))

chalet_dor
04-22-2012, 10:28 PM
For all those who are reading this thread, but was not able to join the class, you missed an amazing session! It was long but well worth the time. I felt like I was with "friends." I know it sounds "girlsy" but I LOVED IT!:D

For the first time ever I decided to try to follow along, but immediately I knew I was out of my league,:eek: but I kept with it. I couldn't even get the colors right because I was rushing to keep up, but I kept at it. Messed up really bad around the chimney. My eyes just did not see that area clearly, partly because I was trying too hard. I kept turning toward the screen to listen and watch Johannes and I'd forget what I was doing on the canvas:confused: . Then I'd concentrate on painting and I'd forget to listen to Johannes.:confused: I had a wonderful time.:clap:

I persevered and got down a part of the first layer of wrong colors and some wrong shapes. But I did it!:lol: What a journey. I have no experience with landscapes, but I certainly intend to finish this painting although it is only an 8x10.

Thanks, Johannes for a valuable and memorable trip!

Shirley

Hi Shirley
Was going to try and gave up..........You did beautifully.............I will be taking these trips with you, if I can figure out how?
Do you know how to download the video, or is it that you just click on it anytime you want to re-watch and work on the lesson? Dorian:confused:

chalet_dor
04-22-2012, 10:37 PM
Blooms is good for foregrounds that are impressionist. So your foreground is good.

:confused: I just can't keep up with you Jo (it's my age 73) I thought you were not going to comment on students work in the Paint-Alongs...........Wish I could say something original........but have no words. So I will say again :smug: you are an awsome teacher. Thank You very much. Dorian

Spenser
04-22-2012, 11:58 PM
Looks like it was a great class, judging by the comments and all the lovely work being posted!
I wouldn't know.. I couldn't get the livestream to play. :(
I tried everything, from downloading Flash, restarting my computer, plugging into the ethernet and sitting right beside my wireless highspeed modem that we pay through the teeth for , you name it I tried it.

I was able to see you all chatting, but could not hear anything and could only see a black screen where the video should have been playing. I could, however, see it on my pc and also my imac (both 2 floors down from my studio!), but not my macbook.

My macbook is the one I use in my studio hooked up to a large hd tv, so it was frustrating not being able to watch realtime. I gave up and went shopping at the art store instead, seeing as I couldn't paint along, and there was a great sale on frames and I bought 12. lol!

Anyway, tonight after trying numerous times to see the recorded video, I changed a setting in Flash (who knew there were settings in there!), and lo and behold I can now play the recorded video! I don't see how to download it, though.

If anyone else found they couldn't see the livestream, maybe check the flash help files and go through the settings recommended. I don't remember what I changed in there, something about allowing sites to store content on my hard drive? I don't even know if that is what fixed it, or if it is just a fluke that I was finally able to get the recorded video to work. I'll watch it tomorrow. Not quite as much fun as 'being there', though.

HazelP
04-23-2012, 12:10 AM
These classes are superb!!! Thanks so much Johannes.

I managed to paint along getting up at 3am to do so but well worth it!!

Here is my effort. I want to watch the video again and have another try but this will have to do for now. I made myself pack up my brushes as I kept fiddling.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2012/915542-My-Paintalong.jpg

Spenser
04-23-2012, 12:20 AM
Wow, Hazel, how did you do that? Your painting looks like it is lit from within! Especially love the sky light behind the furthest house!

oCDs01-711
04-23-2012, 12:29 AM
Hi Dor,

I went to RealPlayer.com as someone suggested and downloaded the program which is free. But now I don't know what else to do. Johannes said he'd put instructions on this site for us. I'll wait and see. Or maybe someone will take pity on us and write instructions for us!:D :clap:

Shirley

paintncook
04-23-2012, 01:28 AM
Hi Dor,

I went to RealPlayer.com as someone suggested and downloaded the program which is free. But now I don't know what else to do. Johannes said he'd put instructions on this site for us. I'll wait and see. Or maybe someone will take pity on us and write instructions for us!:D :clap:

Shirley
I don't know about RealPlayer, but I downloaded Ant.com and installed the toolbar. It is also free. I had to wait until Johannes turned the whole system off then I went on to same site (Lifestream) and down on the lower right side is an icon for video. I clicked on that and Johannes' class showed in a square. I started Johannes' video and clicked on download from the Ant.com toolbar and it started downloading. Good Luck! BTW, it takes forever to download.

carol_lee
04-23-2012, 04:45 AM
Thanks Johannes for a really fun class!!! So many interesting interpretations!!!!

HazelP: Love your muted sky!!!
Shirley: love your simple shapes for the building...really suits a small format.. please post the finished !!!
Callady: Really feel that cool mist!!!
xli: Love the softness... don't miss the water tower... love the hint of the foregrd tree on the right!!!
Sienna black: lovely mood and light contrasts...
piggiepie: Very interesting interpretation...
Ray: has lots of mood
Athena: love the loose style
RobertS:great piece... nice grass and flowers that pathe really leads you in...
Lorainne: Nice work !!!

Here is my attempt... A4 format 300grm watercolor paper mixed oil pastels...
used mediums for the washes... lots of finger smudging :lol:
Didn't finish it last night.... a bit too tired .... did some scraping and finished more or less intuitively this morning... http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2012/58142-farmhouse-wb.jpg

Thanks for looking
C&C welcome

Johannes Instructor
04-23-2012, 08:23 AM
Hi Dor,

Shirley
Just get realplayer. Play the video and the "Download Video" with come up at the top right. Realplayer downloads it.

Johannes Instructor
04-23-2012, 08:26 AM
:confused: I just can't keep up with you Jo (it's my age 73) I thought you were not going to comment on students work in the Paint-Alongs...........Wish I could say something original........but have no words. So I will say again :smug: you are an awsome teacher. Thank You very much. Dorian
I had to comment on those 3 pieces because it would correspond to the upcoming grass course and I saw the same "mistake" several times.

Johannes Instructor
04-23-2012, 08:28 AM
I don't know about RealPlayer, but I downloaded Ant.com and installed the toolbar. It is also free. I had to wait until Johannes turned the whole system off then I went on to same site (Lifestream) and down on the lower right side is an icon for video. I clicked on that and Johannes' class showed in a square. I started Johannes' video and clicked on download from the Ant.com toolbar and it started downloading. Good Luck! BTW, it takes forever to download.
Please tell me the file size.

Spenser
04-23-2012, 09:22 AM
In realplayer, it is telling me the file size is 2gig, Jo.

Johannes Instructor
04-23-2012, 10:05 AM
I tweaked the painting some more.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2012/135220-IMG_7644.jpg

Sgourlayart
04-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Painted along for about 5 hours and left the wall--will redo or tweak to be more like Jo's painting. This is much different than painting from photos or plein air. I think these classes will be very popular. I need to review the video and go back through it. Thanks Jo for all your hard work and an excellent class. Stuhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2012/175408-Sunday_Class_Houses.JPG

xli
04-23-2012, 11:38 AM

Wow!!!! The house comes alive!!! This is really a great learning process. Thank you very much Johannes!!!!

sue.w
04-23-2012, 11:47 AM
Thank you so much Joe for a great day of painting yesterday. You really pushed me out of my comfort zone - and at the beginning I was tempted to quit & sit back and just watch - But boy, am I ever glad I persevered. I learned so much including how to wrestle control back when my house got really wonky for a while. - it's still wonky, but not as bad as it was!

I love the tweaks you've added to your painting and I am happy you posted the finished piece - I can now go back in; compare and fix may things that were bothering me about mine, but didn't know what do do about it.

I'm posting my painting in the state it is in now - It's good to share, and too, I think you deserve to see what we've made of your teachings. :thumbsup:

I hope you continue these sessions, and it isn't too disruptive for your Sunday students. I wish I could be one of them.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2012/195191-my_attempt_-_session_2.JPG

oCDs01-711
04-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Spenser,

I followed your instructions and tried downloading the class, but when I saw that I had to play the video while it downloaded, it occurred to me that it might take the whole 6 hours of the original class time to download???:eek:

I stopped the download because I'm not going to spend 6 hours on a download! I'll have to await an answer from you or another if you can get it to download faster! :D Thanks, Spenser!

Shirley

chalet_dor
04-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Hi Dor,

Shirley

Thanks Shirley. When you find out email me please dor_at cox.net
I am so afraid that I will miss it..........Dorian

"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." Thomas Merton

paintncook
04-23-2012, 01:26 PM
Thanks Shirley. When you find out email me please dor_at cox.net
I am so afraid that I will miss it..........Dorian

"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." Thomas Merton

Hi Dor,
I'm having the same problem. A button is supposed to appear when you start your video to download in Real Player. It is NOT happening for me so hope someone will post detailed instructions in our forum for all of us. I tried twice to download using Ant.com and it failed. I don't know if it is because this video is so many hours long.:crying: My free Real Player download also doesn't have Web in its tool bar and I wonder why. I think I need that to download off the internet. Hope somebody out there has an answer.

paintncook
04-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Dor,
I tried downloading again and finally found the button. You have to go to the video and get it started, then move your mouse to the top of the video and the download button for Real Player shows up. The button doesn't appear until you move your mouse over the top of the video. Let's hope this works this time.

oCDs01-711
04-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Hi paintncook and dor,

I suggest you go straight to realplayer.com and download. I did and had no problem. I followed Spenser's instructions. The problem I'm having is simply not wanting to download for 6 hours. It seems the video plays the whole time, whereas I thought the video could be closed and downloaded in a hurry. This is what I'm waiting for someone to answer for me!:grouphug:

I went to realplayer.com and downloaded immediately, didn't take any time! I closed and went to My Downloads to check on whether it had been downloaded. Closed it. Then went to improvemypainting, clicked on Class, then on the Play button on the JV screen, then Videos on the right hand side on the bottom and clicked on Download and RealPlayer came on and in a few seconds it began downloading.

However, it was in regular video playing and it seemed like it might take the whole 6 hours to download since the regular video was playing. I turned it off because a half hour of pre-class was recording with music. I wonder if the music makes the downloading slower???:confused: So I moved the slider along to the beginning of Johannes starting to sketch. Just to test it, I tried downloading again and it seemed to work, but I stopped it because I think it will take 6 hours to download!

But at least I do have the realplayer program downloaded. Now I'm waiting to see if someone will tell me if I HAVE to spend the 6 hours downloading, or if there is a faster way!:D

Let's all 3 stay focused on this thread and check it several times today!:thumbsup:

Johannes, thanks for inviting us into your studio. It was so much fun for me!

Shirley

callady
04-23-2012, 02:00 PM
I'm posting this painting again....my first post was very dull and too light. My husband worked with the camera and surprise.....come to find out if we put the Canon digital camera to manual and turn the dial I can achieve a more exact copy of the painting. I tweaked the painting a little but for the most part it's the same....just brighter.

I see more things I need to work on so this painting might become an ongoing project!

paintncook
04-23-2012, 02:05 PM
Hi paintncook and dor,

I suggest you go straight to realplayer.com and download. I did and had no problem. I followed Spenser's instructions. The problem I'm having is simply not wanting to download for 6 hours. It seems the video plays the whole time, whereas I thought the video could be closed and downloaded in a hurry. This is what I'm waiting for someone to answer for me!:grouphug:

I went to realplayer.com and downloaded immediately, didn't take any time! I closed and went to My Downloads to check on whether it had been downloaded. Closed it. Then went to improvemypainting, clicked on Class, then on the Play button on the JV screen, then Videos on the right hand side on the bottom and clicked on Download and RealPlayer came on and in a few seconds it began downloading.

However, it was in regular video playing and it seemed like it might take the whole 6 hours to download since the regular video was playing. I turned it off because a half hour of pre-class was recording with music. I wonder if the music makes the downloading slower???:confused: So I moved the slider along to the beginning of Johannes starting to sketch. Just to test it, I tried downloading again and it seemed to work, but I stopped it because I think it will take 6 hours to download!

But at least I do have the realplayer program downloaded. Now I'm waiting to see if someone will tell me if I HAVE to spend the 6 hours downloading, or if there is a faster way!:D

Let's all 3 stay focused on this thread and check it several times today!:thumbsup:

Johannes, thanks for inviting us into your studio. It was so much fun for me!

Shirley
Yes, I was downloading using Ant.com and it failed after a few hours, maybe because it takes so long. I left the computer going overnight, but found it had failed in the morning. Then downloded Real Player and couldn't find the download button until by accident. It is downloading and will take forever! Maybe you have to pay for the advanced version for a quick download, I don't know.
Kathy

Rosemarie
04-23-2012, 02:09 PM

Dor - I bet you feel like 18 and not 73! I love reading you posts! I also love your happy icon.

Rosemarie
04-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Now I'm waiting to see if someone will tell me if I HAVE to spend the 6 hours downloading, or if there is a faster way!:D

Shirley[/QUOTE]
Shirley - the video is about 2 Gb. I have ADSL and it will take about 6 hours to download but more due to the slow "release" from Livestream.

Spenser
04-23-2012, 02:17 PM
To everyone trying to download, yes, I see now it is taking some time! I posted my last message about the file size , and it had only just started downloading at that time. I just checked now, as I've been busy elsewhere, and it is only about half way downloaded at this point. I do have highspeed, but not the highest available.
To everyone trying to download, yes, I see now it is taking some time! I posted my last message about the file size , and it had only just started downloading at that time. I just checked now, as I've been busy elsewhere, and it is only about half way downloaded at this point. I do have highspeed, but not the highest available.

Paintncook, when you have realplayer downloaded, open it and make sure you have the realplayer downloader as well (you should, there was an option to include agent with it. Now, once you open the video in realplayer, at the top menu bar, go to 'window', then in the dropdown box you will see 'open realplayer downloader' as one of the selections. A little icon should appear that has a realplayer logo with an arrow in it. Once the video starts to play, there will be a red plus sign appear on that downloaded icon. Click the icon, a box should open that will show you the url for the video file. Select it, and click download. I am on a mac, but it should work similarly on a microsoft computer. Hope this helps. :)

Rosemarie
04-23-2012, 02:19 PM

Hi! I couldn't watch the paint along to the end but I think you finally nailed the stone wall, Johannes. Today I am watching the missing parts of the video. I can see that about 2380 persons has watched the video up until to now! :clap:

artisane
04-23-2012, 02:34 PM
I'm very new to painting, but it has been a very learning-intensive period for me for the past few months (mainly reading, and watching, with not much doing!). I've been attending Johannes' classes online since Essentials of Painting Skies, and really enjoy hearing the Golden Nuggets - they're beginning to sink in, mentally.

This paint-along was exhausting (possibly because I was fighting with being defeated by my efforts), but I stuck with it, and did enjoy the process. I did an acrylic painting, 16"x20", on canvas paper. I didn't have many of the colours, so I substituted. I could have done more in the field area, but I was getting very tired. Sorry for the length of this post; I'm a newbie here, and this is my first post on WetCanvas!

I hope the painting is successfully attached...

Hannah

oCDs01-711
04-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Spenser,

Thank you for your quick reply. I am wondering if I can expect to see the video and hear the video as it records????? That means I would see and hear the entire program again? Is this the way it is supposed to be?:confused:

/Thank you...........:thumbsup: :crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers:

Shirley

Johannes Instructor
04-23-2012, 03:23 PM
Spenser,

Thank you for your quick reply. I am wondering if I can expect to see the video and hear the video as it records????? That means I would see and hear the entire program again? Is this the way it is supposed to be?:confused:

/Thank you...........:thumbsup: :crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers:

Shirley

Here:
http://new.livestream.com/accounts/171531/events/709603/statuses/493793

Tonalist
04-23-2012, 03:41 PM
For those of you trying to use RealPlayer.. I downloaded the real player program and was checking a few settings and noticed the default time of recording is 4 hours.
I don't know how long it takes to download.. but I'd hate to see you spend that much time and only get part of the video.
there is an option to change the default to 8 hours.

Jo.. These live classes are great!

woody

chalet_dor
04-23-2012, 04:14 PM
These classes are superb!!! Thanks so much Johannes.

I managed to paint along getting up at 3am to do so but well worth it!!

Here is my effort. I want to watch the video again and have another try but this will have to do for now. I made myself pack up my brushes as I kept fiddling.

Hi Hazel
Your painting is wonderful.........dor:))

chalet_dor
04-23-2012, 04:18 PM
I'm very new to painting, but it has been a very learning-intensive period for me for the past few months (mainly reading, and watching, with not much doing!). I've been attending Johannes' classes online since Essentials of Painting Skies, and really enjoy hearing the Golden Nuggets - they're beginning to sink in, mentally.

This paint-along was exhausting (possibly because I was fighting with being defeated by my efforts), but I stuck with it, and did enjoy the process. I did an acrylic painting, 16"x20", on canvas paper. I didn't have many of the colours, so I substituted. I could have done more in the field area, but I was getting very tired. Sorry for the length of this post; I'm a newbie here, and this is my first post on WetCanvas!

I hope the painting is successfully attached...

Hannah

Hi Hannah

I am a newbe with Johannes also Hannah, but not to wetcanvas. Welcome to the group dor:))

mickisew
04-23-2012, 05:38 PM
For those of you trying to use RealPlayer.. I downloaded the real player program and was checking a few settings and noticed the default time of recording is 4 hours.
I don't know how long it takes to download.. but I'd hate to see you spend that much time and only get part of the video.
there is an option to change the default to 8 hours.

Jo.. These live classes are great!

woody
I am so glad I read all the posts - especially yours. I d/l'd the video overnight and only checked it this morning when I copied it to an external hard drive to make sure it did copy. I did notice I had 1.3 G's give or take and everyone was posting 2 G. After reading your post - yep - I only had the first half. I changed the setting in Real Player to eight hours and an d/l'ing it again skipping the first part. Thank you so much. Micki

Johannes Instructor
04-23-2012, 06:40 PM
I am so glad I read all the posts - especially yours. I d/l'd the video overnight and only checked it this morning when I copied it to an external hard drive to make sure it did copy. I did notice I had 1.3 G's give or take and everyone was posting 2 G. After reading your post - yep - I only had the first half. I changed the setting in Real Player to eight hours and an d/l'ing it again skipping the first part. Thank you so much. Micki
Yes I got about 1.4 GB as well. However I played it and it is complete. As long as you get over 6 hours you should be good. Also for thr rest od you that are downloading
Livestream is purposely slowing down thedownloads so it doesn't take a hit with bandwidth. Just download it over night.

oCDs01-711
04-23-2012, 06:58 PM
mickisew and johannes, sounds great, but

HOW do I change the setting in realplayer???? I can do it if I'm given simple 1, 2, 3 type of instructions. I don't know how to do this. Is anyone able to explain it in steps? This will be greatly appreciated.

Shirley

Sienna black
04-23-2012, 07:32 PM

Your painting looks a lot darker now. The roof, the rocks , much more moody.

Tonalist
04-23-2012, 08:10 PM
Shirley.. do this..
1.) open Real Player
2.) at the top left corner of real player is a button that has the name real player on it w/ a little arrow.. click this as it's a drop down menu.
3.) choose "preferences".. another window will open.
4.) at the bottom of the list on the new window, choose "Download & Recording"
5.) on the new window choose "Advanced Settings"
6.) at the top of the new window you'll see it says "default recording time..."
7.) this is a drop down menu.. change this from 4 hours to 8 hours.
8.) click ok and close everything.

you should be done.
woody

juraffey
04-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Really nice!

juraffey
04-23-2012, 09:29 PM
I am trying to post my attempt at the Paint-along but I have to post twice.

juraffey
04-23-2012, 09:31 PM
I am so grateful for the opportunity to be able to watch the paint-along. It was just like being in a class. Thank you Jo for offering them. I am so intrigued at how different we all paint. It is so fun and they are all beautiful in their own way. Here's mine! I still haven't mastered the rocks...they are too "stuffy" but I am getting better.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2012/1024502-Sunday_paintalong.JPG

oCDs01-711
04-23-2012, 10:11 PM
woody,

thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it best to LEAVE the default setting to 8 hrs rather than resetting back to 4hrs.

Shirley

Tonalist
04-23-2012, 11:03 PM
Hey shirley... you're very welcome.
I don't use real player really so I can't answer your question.. but I assume
it's just a cut off point when real player will stop recording automatically.

woody

paintncook
04-24-2012, 12:26 AM
Arghh..this was hard and didn't turn out as desired, as usual. Wanted to paint loose and ended up tight and busy. Watercolor on Arches cold press paper:( http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2012/1027192-The_old_house_on_the_hill.JPG

chalet_dor
04-24-2012, 01:58 AM
Shirley.. do this..
1.) open Real Player
2.) at the top left corner of real player is a button that has the name real player on it w/ a little arrow.. click this as it's a drop down menu.
3.) choose "preferences".. another window will open.
4.) at the bottom of the list on the new window, choose "Download & Recording"
5.) on the new window choose "Advanced Settings"
6.) at the top of the new window you'll see it says "default recording time..."
7.) this is a drop down menu.. change this from 4 hours to 8 hours.
8.) click ok and close everything.

you should be done.
woody

I have Real Player Plus 15. Still trying to download. It is in progress now and I will let do it's thing overnight:crossfingers: dor:))

Pinklady219
04-24-2012, 08:08 AM
Here is my attempt from class. I also tried to paint loose but I guess more practice is called for. Thank you Johannes for being the lovely, talented, teacher that we love.:)

chalet_dor
04-24-2012, 08:22 AM
I have Real Player Plus 15. Still trying to download. It is in progress now and I will let do it's thing overnight:crossfingers: dor:))

Morning guys.....still no download for me.....they all stop about 1/3 of the way through............:D I live in an old condo with old fashion cable wiring. I pay for High Speed Internet connection. The cable company says it is my wiring and needs to be replaced. I cannot afford to have this condo rewired.............:((

paintncook
04-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Please tell me the file size.
I gave up on Ant.com as it failed every time. It would be downloading and at some time fail so I downloaded Real Player and, after figuring out where the download button was, it downloaded with no problem.

Johannes Instructor
04-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Your painting looks a lot darker now. The roof, the rocks , much more moody.
The original looks more like this:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2012/135220-IMG_7644.jpg

oCDs01-711
04-24-2012, 03:37 PM
I guess my ignorance shows in this one!:o I finally downloaded the Paint Along and I'm delighted. I went to the store which had a limited selection and bought a few DVD-R thinking "Yaahoo! I'm doing OK!":D When I inserted the DVD-R to copy, my computer asked--did I want 8x or 2.4x speed. Duh...I looked at my DVD and it read as best as I can interpret, 1-16x!!! What to do???!!:eek: Some I clicked on the 8x because ??...I don't know, I just did.

Then I happed to look at the video minutes. Turns out its 120 minutes. AAAAAAAAAh, who knew? I need 6 hours!!!! aaahhhh, aaaaaaah,:eek: aaaaaaa!:eek: All that for nothing.:evil: Sad news for those of us who are computer challenged.:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Sorry about the ranting, but I just had to vent!

Shirley

pjbenson
04-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Hi Everyone, Here is my paint-along from Sunday. It is 12 x 16 and is oils. It isn't quite finished. Critiques welcome. Really enjoyed the last two Sunday paint-alongs, cannot wait for more! Thanks Johannes. Pam Benson (pjbenson)

just having fun
04-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Hi Everyone, Here is my paint-along from Sunday. It is 12 x 16 and is oils. It isn't quite finished. Critiques welcome. Really enjoyed the last two Sunday paint-alongs, cannot wait for more! Thanks Johannes. Pam Benson (pjbenson)Pam real nice painting!.:clap:

paintncook
04-24-2012, 09:27 PM
Hi Everyone, Here is my paint-along from Sunday. It is 12 x 16 and is oils. It isn't quite finished. Critiques welcome. Really enjoyed the last two Sunday paint-alongs, cannot wait for more! Thanks Johannes. Pam Benson (pjbenson)

This painting looks fantastic!!!:thumbsup: I'm also glad you told us the medium you were using; I wish everybody would do that as I can't always tell if it's acrylic, pastel, or oil or a combo. At any rate, this painting if so good; I'm green with envy!:envy:
Kathy

chalet_dor
04-24-2012, 09:45 PM
pjbenson

Congratulations on creating a beautiful painting.........dor:))

cajunRice
04-24-2012, 11:55 PM
What?? The 22nd paint along video is gone? After all the time I have spent to find a program that will download it on my old computer and it's gone? Not to mention going out to buy a thumb drive so I can get it downloaded.
Oh well, "Into each life a little rain must fall", but at this moment, I feel like I'm drowning.

Ginger

msparker
04-25-2012, 12:03 AM
Hi to all enjoyed the paint alongs and enjoy seeing all the different versions of the painting what a joy to see all. my attempt will be posted soon (I hope) mine is also very different I got lost when the screen went black, Thanks to Johannes for having these classes. Margene Parker

carol_lee
04-25-2012, 12:09 AM
I just accessed the video

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/171531/events/709603/statuses/493793 try again

Be sure to scroll to the top!!!

cajunRice
04-25-2012, 12:11 AM
Never mind. I had tried tried it several times right before posting and it kept taking me off to never, never land. Gave it one more try and it was there. Don't you just hate those little grimlins that play dirty tricks on ya?
The sun is out again and I can sleep well tonight knowing it will be downloaded when I get up.:crossfingers:

Ginger

paintncook
04-25-2012, 12:23 AM
What?? The 22nd paint along video is gone? After all the time I have spent to find a program that will download it on my old computer and it's gone? Not to mention going out to buy a thumb drive so I can get it downloaded.
Oh well, "Into each life a little rain must fall", but at this moment, I feel like I'm drowning.

Ginger

Ginger, The video is NOT gone - it's still there. Try again, go to Improvemypaintings.com, then go to Watch Free Live Class, click your mouse on the blue Go To Video button and there it is! It takes a long time before the class starts and you just see the picture with the snow and creek, but be patient as the class will start. You can move the bar below the video to jump ahead and see.
Kathy

chalet_dor
04-25-2012, 06:10 AM

Ginger

The paint along video on the 22nd is not gone. I feel your pain because I have been trying to down load it since the end of the class and have failed. I think a lot of us are in the same boat because our Internet Connection's speed:mad: is not fast enough..............dor:))

CatherineOnTheLake
04-25-2012, 11:12 AM
I had guests at my house on Sunday and missed the April 22 live class so I'm happy to be able to download the live class. After reading all this helpful advice here in this thread I am doing this right now. Thank you to Johannes and everyone else who posted advice here for us.
One thing I want to add to the discussion is that I believe the download time is so lengthy partially because it is free. By making it pretty darn slow, they can "share bandwidth" amongst more potential buyers who then become frustrated with the slow download speed. Once you are in their "grasp" (and also frustrated) they want you to upgrade to their Plus version (for an extra $50 approx) and in exchange will make download speeds faster. Of course there are extra benefits to their Plus version as well. So I think we have two options -> 1. FREE download service from RealPlayer (albeit slow), or 2. PAY for the upgrade to RealPlayer Plus (for an additional fee of $50 approx.) I hope this helps some of you.

callady
04-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Pam....your painting is really good! Is it finished or are you still tweaking it?

Nancy

Rosemarie
04-25-2012, 02:05 PM
So I think we have two options -> 1. FREE download service from RealPlayer (albeit slow), or 2. PAY for the upgrade to RealPlayer Plus (for an additional fee of $50 approx.) I hope this helps some of you.

You are probably right. I wouldn't mind it being slow if it would finish instead of erring after many hours. It says I have to download 2 Gb. I will look at it online and not try downloading any more.

chalet_dor
04-25-2012, 02:37 PM
You are probably right. I wouldn't mind it being slow if it would finish instead of erring after many hours. It says I have to download 2 Gb. I will look at it online and not try downloading any more.

I use Real Player plus 15 and it does not help. I am still trying to download it..........dor:crying: :((

spudsmom
04-25-2012, 02:59 PM
Hi Jo,

I was in West Va last week visiting my 88 year old Uncle Norman and missed the paint along. Just wondering when there will be another one?

I didn't miss out on art lessons though as my Uncle is a fantastic painter! I learned a lot from him...just wish I lived closer to him! He gave me a ton of books and I did 3 pan pastels that came out great!

Sherri

Aka spudsmom38

CatherineOnTheLake
04-25-2012, 03:12 PM
I use Real Player plus 15 and it does not help. I am still trying to download it..........dor:crying: :((

Dor and RoseMarie - My download is about halfway done. I'll let you know if it ever completes. If I get it maybe I can ask my tech husband if there is a way to send it to each of you separately somehow. :confused:

Johannes Instructor
04-25-2012, 03:18 PM
The Essentials of Painting Skies and The Essentials of Painting Waterfalls course is now available for purchase and download at these links:

Skies
http://www.northlightshop.com/wetcan...t e&cid=54918
Waterfalls
http://www.northlightshop.com/digw-e...te &cid=54918

pjbenson
04-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Paintncook...lucky you, I can't cook worth a darn (I'm assuming your name means you paint and also cook. Thanks for your comments. You live in my neck of the woods, I am in Temecula, Ca. Don't like the muggy weather today!

chalet_dor
04-25-2012, 04:55 PM
Dor and RoseMarie - My download is about halfway done. I'll let you know if it ever completes. If I get it maybe I can ask my tech husband if there is a way to send it to each of you separately somehow. :confused:

That would be wonderful. There (used to be places on the Web) that allowed you to upload a file to their space for storage or to make it available to your friends to down load. But that was a long time ago. dor:))

chalet_dor
04-25-2012, 05:13 PM
The Essentials of Painting Skies and The Essentials of Painting Waterfalls course is now available for purchase and download at these links:

Skies
http://www.northlightshop.com/wetcan...t e&cid=54918
Waterfalls
http://www.northlightshop.com/digw-e...te &cid=54918

Jo
Your links above give me an error massge Page not found! dor:))

Graleth
04-25-2012, 05:28 PM
Hi all,
Not having any luck uploading again, tried *.jpg .bmp .gif , picture size and resolution is ok.:confused:

Nice work everybody. Is there a paint along link for the 15th as well ? I was disappointed with my student quality paints abilty to cover well, so I treated myself to some better quality paints for this week (still got more to get).

Results on my website,

http://www.ivorcogdell.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Page-gallery-2012.htm

Thanks all for joining in,:clap:

Ivor

paintncook
04-25-2012, 08:47 PM
Paintncook...lucky you, I can't cook worth a darn (I'm assuming your name means you paint and also cook. Thanks for your comments. You live in my neck of the woods, I am in Temecula, Ca. Don't like the muggy weather today!
Hi neighbor,
I'd rather paint like you than be able to cook. I do enjoy cooking when time allows and I wish I had more time for painting! The house suffers for it when I do my fun things. Yes, the weather over the past two days has been awful. Wish it would rain and get it over with, but that's Southern California for you. It was smoggy or something on Tues as my eyes burned all day so I could hardly keep them open - not good when you'd like to paint. I decided to give pastels a try thinking to use them over watercolor. They came today after being on backorder from Cheap Joe's and it feels like Christmas. I'm calling it my Mother's Day present.
Kathy

pjbenson
04-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Callady, thanks for the compliment. No the painting is not done. Haven't touched it since Sunday, but definitely need to work on it, especially after seeing Johannes' finished painting. Mine is way too pale, need to get some good darks in it.
Thanks Pam

Johannes Instructor
04-26-2012, 09:37 AM
Jo
Your links above give me an error massge Page not found! dor:))
Here these links should work.

Skies
http://www.northlightshop.com/wetcanvas-live-essentials-of-painting-skies-with-johannes-vloothuis-downloads-u0512?utm_source=linkconnector&utm_medium=affiliate&cid=54918 (http://www.northlightshop.com/wetcanvas-live-essentials-of-painting-skies-with-johannes-vloothuis-downloads-u0512?utm_source=linkconnector&utm_medium=affiliate&cid=54918)
Waterfalls
http://www.northlightshop.com/digw-essentials-ptg-waterfalls-dnld?utm_source=linkconnector&utm_medium=affiliate&cid=54918 (http://www.northlightshop.com/digw-essentials-ptg-waterfalls-dnld?utm_source=linkconnector&utm_medium=affiliate&cid=54918)

Noula
04-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Tried this a 2nd time...... hoping for an improvement of my first version.

Athena

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2012/243521-PaintAlong2.JPG

Johannes Instructor
04-26-2012, 02:09 PM
Here these links should work.

Skies
http://www.northlightshop.com/wetcanvas-live-essentials-of-painting-skies-with-johannes-vloothuis-downloads-u0512?utm_source=linkconnector&utm_medium=affiliate&cid=54918 (http://www.northlightshop.com/wetcanvas-live-essentials-of-painting-skies-with-johannes-vloothuis-downloads-u0512?utm_source=linkconnector&utm_medium=affiliate&cid=54918)
Waterfalls
http://www.northlightshop.com/digw-essentials-ptg-waterfalls-dnld?utm_source=linkconnector&utm_medium=affiliate&cid=54918 (http://www.northlightshop.com/digw-essentials-ptg-waterfalls-dnld?utm_source=linkconnector&utm_medium=affiliate&cid=54918)
Enter code "wclive" for a 10% discount

painterted
04-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Here is my rendition of the house from april 22. I really had a hard time with the greens, in the small bush area.

ted

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Apr-2012/909312-P4250005.jpg

spudsmom
04-26-2012, 08:12 PM
Here is my rendition of the house from april 22. I really had a hard time with the greens, in the small bush area.

ted

Ted,

Your watercolors inspire me! They are always beautiful!
I need to get back to watercolor! I've been experimenting with oil and the pan pastels!

Love looking at your work!:clap:

Sherri
aka spudsmom38

painterted
04-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Thanks Sherri.

ted

nougat
04-27-2012, 11:57 AM
SOOOO well done all you guys for your wonderful paintings AND your stamina.
i'd painted along on the 15th but did not have the energy for this one...

i have not yet managed a download. i appreciate that 2Gb is LARGE but i keep being told '12 hours'....

i am NOT using realplayer. what i use is firefox browser with the 'downloadhelper' (all one word) extension. you start the video, wait for the coloured balls to spin and click.

i use this successfully very often. hope it works for this too :)

Rosemarie
04-27-2012, 12:12 PM

i have not yet managed a download. i appreciate that 2Gb is LARGE but i keep being told '12 hours'....

i am NOT using realplayer. what i use is firefox browser with the 'downloadhelper' (all one word) extension. you start the video, wait for the coloured balls to spin and click.

I twice got to about 1 Gb and then I get Error and the downloading stops. But you can watch the video without downloading which I will do.

Johannes Instructor
04-27-2012, 02:45 PM

It is just over 1 GB not 2.

Johannes Instructor
04-27-2012, 02:47 PM
Ted,

Your watercolors inspire me! They are always beautiful!
I need to get back to watercolor! I've been experimenting with oil and the pan pastels!

Love looking at your work!:clap:

Sherri
aka spudsmom38
I will comment on this painting because it went on a different course than mine.
I would not have a vertical object start from the bottom of the frame. The norm is to allow the viewer to step in and then create the vertical object, whether it be a wall, stones, bush or tree.

spudsmom
04-27-2012, 04:12 PM
For those of you with downloading difficulties, why download? I'm working on the painting a bit at a time. I watch Jo, stop the video, paint, come back and watch some more. It seems to be working for me. You can even fast forward to a spot if you stop painting all together. I just keep track of the time. So far I'm at 1 hour 49 minutes and loving every bit of it.

Sherri

Johannes Instructor
04-27-2012, 05:14 PM
For those of you with downloading difficulties, why download? I'm working on the painting a bit at a time. I watch Jo, stop the video, paint, come back and watch some more. It seems to be working for me. You can even fast forward to a spot if you stop painting all together. I just keep track of the time. So far I'm at 1 hour 49 minutes and loving every bit of it.

Sherri
I may have to cancel that account in a couple of weeks so I would still download it.

Johannes Instructor
04-27-2012, 05:15 PM

ted

I will comment on this painting because it went on a different course than mine.
I would not have a vertical object start from the bottom of the frame. The norm is to allow the viewer to step in and then create the vertical object, whether it be a wall, stones, bush or tree.

TerryKrysak
04-27-2012, 07:44 PM
The file is 1.99 GB. I tried a few times to download it, and it stopped at around 700mb and kept starting over again. I used the ant.com free downloader, but maybe there is a restriction on the size of video? So I gave up trying to download it.

painterted
04-27-2012, 09:38 PM
Thanks jo, I never thought about that, bringing objects up out of the bottom of the painting, but now I remember you stating that.

ted

chalet_dor
04-27-2012, 09:59 PM
I may have to cancel that account in a couple of weeks so I would still download it.
I am still trying to download and failing. It will download about half way and stop and give me the download failed message. My sympathies to all of you in the same boat.........dor:))

Graleth
04-27-2012, 10:00 PM
Hi all,
I liked the house, but I think it is too small in my painting. I might do a closer view later. I am having a hard time with the grass, I have not got the technique down pat yet. I was not happy with my rock pile, they morphed into a wall, which seemed to work better, still problems with the colour balance.

Another problem, I have cloned the rock walls on the far right with the wall on the left, so I will have to change it into a hedge.

Regards all,

Ivor

spudsmom
04-28-2012, 12:39 PM

That makes sense. I'll have to see how much room we have on the computer since our trip to Africa...6000+ photos and tons of video just about wiped out my hard drive...might be time to get a bigger one.

I think this painting has one of the best backgrounds I've ever done (not that I've done many being a new painter). I'm struggling with the house right now, but decided to walk away from the stones for awhile. I think mine are too small and not variegated enough. Will fix those after lunch and a quick shopping trip.

Love this and am so grateful to have you as a teacher!

Sherri

Johannes Instructor
04-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Hi all,
I liked the house, but I think it is too small in my painting. I might do a closer view later. I am having a hard time with the grass, I have not got the technique down pat yet. I was not happy with my rock pile, they morphed into a wall, which seemed to work better, still problems with the colour balance.

Another problem, I have cloned the rock walls on the far right with the wall on the left, so I will have to change it into a hedge.

Regards all,

Ivor
Crop the whole wall out.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2012/135220-Untitled-ccb1.jpg

Graleth
04-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Hi Johannes and the gang,
That does look a better composition. I think the problem was the initial size of my house sketch, not knowing where we were going with the finished painting.
Is there a link to the previous weeks paint along ?

Looking forward to the next tutorial,

Ivor

carol_lee
04-28-2012, 10:46 PM
http://new.livestream.com/accounts/171531/events/709603/statuses/493793
scroll to the top and click the triangle..this the April 22 paint-along

sherrysherman
04-28-2012, 11:41 PM

Looking forward to the next tutorial,

Ivor

Johannes said the April 15 paint along did not get recorded, as it was longer than was allowed. (He tried to record it and didn't find out about the length problem until after it was all over.) He then got a different kind of Livestream account, which allowed him to record on April 22.

nougat
04-29-2012, 01:04 AM
pity about the 15th paintalong not recording...
the 22nd one is tantalizingly available but is proving to be impossible to download. each of my several overnight attempts stops at around the 1Gb mark and the resulting download is incomplete.
I think that any future paintalongs should have the recordings divided into more handlable chunks.

Rosemarie
04-29-2012, 01:18 AM
nougat - Are you on a PC or a Mac?. I learned a new thing about my Safari browser when trying to download. I usually use Firefox with a plug-in that will download .flv videos but it stalled at about 1 Gb just as you describe and gave me Error.
I started googling to find answers and found that I can add an URL to the Download window in Safari and it will start downloading. I did so and it said it would take 14 hours for 2 Gb to download. I let it download and eventually the speed raised from 37 kb to 54 kb!! At about 1 GB that information window says something had restarted but it went on downloading.and about 40 minutes later it was complete. It took in all about 6 hours, not 14!

Lowe
04-29-2012, 04:40 AM
Finally downloaded the paintalong. It was on my computer all the time, but the file was saved in the downloader helper file where I could not find it previoulsy.

I used a firefox download helper addon to download yesterday afternoon. It just closed and I thought I'd lost it. I found it this morning, it is 997 mb and an flv file. I use VLC Media Player, which is a free video player that contains all video codecs, to play. I think I have most of it.

:)

Lynda

nougat
04-29-2012, 06:48 AM
but Lowe..IS the download complete?? i used firefox with downloadhelper (which i use often) and it kept stopping at around the 1Gb mark and the download IS NOT complete.

Johannes Instructor
04-29-2012, 09:43 AM
the 22nd one is tantalizingly available but is proving to be impossible to download. each of my several overnight attempts stops at around the 1Gb mark and the resulting download is incomplete.
I think that any future paintalongs should have the recordings divided into more handlable chunks.
Even if the download is incomplete you can still play an FLV file even while it is downloading.

paintncook
04-29-2012, 11:25 AM
I had trouble at first with failing to record the entire thing and getting a 'failed'. Then I downloaded Real Player and changed the settings to maximum record time. I did get it recorded using Real Player. I have FIOS where I am and don't know if having fiber optics helps in that regard.
Kathy

Graleth
04-29-2012, 03:16 PM
Johannes said the April 15 paint along did not get recorded, as it was longer than was allowed. (He tried to record it and didn't find out about the length problem until after it was all over.) He then got a different kind of Livestream account, which allowed him to record on April 22.

Hi all,
What I should have said was, is there a thread for us to upload our resulting paintings from the April 15th paint along.

Regards all,

Ivor

sherrysherman
04-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Hi all,
What I should have said was, is there a thread for us to upload our resulting paintings from the April 15th paint along.

Regards all,

Ivor

Yes there is, Ivor. The title is "Maroon Bells paint along students work." (When it came time for the second paint-along, I decided using dates in the thread's title would be better than location or attempted description of the subject matter.)

sapphirelynn
04-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Just a note to say that I loved both classes, and finally was successful at downloading the video. I apparently was successful the first time, just didn't know where it was hiding on my computer..LOL
Jo I loved the music in the background, It was just too loud but it was a good way of knowing we were on and not looking at a frozen screen..Lynn

Lowe
04-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Hi nougat

The download is not complete, it is 5 hours and 9 minutes but I think I have the drawing and most of the painting.

Lynda

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Apr-2012/184661-videa_end.jpg

but Lowe..IS the download complete?? i used firefox with downloadhelper (which i use often) and it kept stopping at around the 1Gb mark and the download IS NOT complete.

Lowe
04-30-2012, 02:06 PM
Sorry to hear your experience. You could purchase a small removable USB stick. They come in various sizes up to about 8 or 16 GB depending on which country you are in.

:)

If you do purchase one, be sure to use the eject button to remove it, and don't just pull it out, because that may wipe it.

I guess my ignorance shows in this one! I finally downloaded the Paint Along and I'm delighted. I went to the store which had a limited selection and bought a few DVD-R thinking "Yaahoo! I'm doing OK!" When I inserted the DVD-R to copy, my computer asked--did I want 8x or 2.4x speed. Duh...I looked at my DVD and it read as best as I can interpret, 1-16x!!! What to do???!!:eek: Some I clicked on the 8x because ??...I don't know, I just did.

Then I happed to look at the video minutes. Turns out its 120 minutes. AAAAAAAAAh, who knew? I need 6 hours!!!! aaahhhh, aaaaaaah,:eek: aaaaaaa!:eek: All that for nothing.:evil: Sad news for those of us who are computer challenged.:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Sorry about the ranting, but I just had to vent!

Shirley

nougat
05-01-2012, 12:32 AM
or indeed an external harddrive. this would cost somewhat more than a usb stick but would also be WAY WAY bigger in capacity. and much safer :) and you just plug it in the usb.

Sienna black
05-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Sometimes I wish there was a like button.....You did such an amazing job! :cat:
Thanks very much!

Sienna black
05-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Really nice!
Thanks

MapperGis
05-01-2012, 05:30 PM
I have such high regard for Mr. Johannes Vloothuis after watching some of his classes.
I am so new I do not know what colors to mix to get that cedar color on the houses in back.
Well, I have tried.
Thank you all so much as I try to post.

MapperGis
05-01-2012, 05:38 PM
I painted along with 22nd class. I tinkered a little more and will post as one.
I discovered so much and have so much to learn.
I started over and tried for a week or so, sometimes I wonder if there is a change?
I humbly post.
Thank you
Loishttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2012/221251-422-800.jpg
Second
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2012/221251-422a800.jpg

paintncook
05-01-2012, 08:07 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2012/1027192-the_house_on_the_hill.JPG My second attempt. Decided to change it up - still struggling to get the effect I want. Watercolor on tinted Bockingford watercolor paper. Oops, I forgot to put in the little fence going over the hill from the farthest farmhouse.

Linda Reyes1959
05-02-2012, 02:42 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2012/978726-Photo0975.jpgWas not able to join in on the 22nd, but I got it done. Well maybe done? I'm still working on the water fall and rocks paintings.

chalet_dor
05-03-2012, 01:00 AM
I am still unsuccesful at downloading the video. Yes I have real player and I use Google Chrome Browser. I also have Windows 7 64 bit operating system. My high speed internet connection is poor!. I am so frustrated.......Dorian

Sgourlayart
05-03-2012, 01:46 AM
I am still unsuccesful at downloading the video. Yes I have real player and I use Google Chrome Browser. I also have Windows 7 64 bit operating system. My high speed internet connection is poor!. I am so frustrated.......DorianDor, I uploaded the whole thing with Real Downloader (from RealPlayer--the freebie) and using Google Chrome to open it. It took about 5 hours, but my internet connection (AT&T UVerse) is pretty fast and my computer is hard wired, not wifi. Give it another try--if that doesn't work, I'll burn it on a DVD and send it to you; it's a good video. Not as much success with NorthLight videos, but supposedly if you buy skies and waterfalls now, they will download OK, according to Johannes and the marketing manager for F+W. Stu

Johannes Instructor
05-03-2012, 07:24 AM
Dor, I uploaded the whole thing with Real Downloader (from RealPlayer--the freebie) and using Google Chrome to open it. It took about 5 hours, but my internet connection (AT&T UVerse) is pretty fast and my computer is hard wired, not wifi. Give it another try--if that doesn't work, I'll burn it on a DVD and send it to you; it's a good video. Not as much success with NorthLight videos, but supposedly if you buy skies and waterfalls now, they will download OK, according to Johannes and the marketing manager for F+W. Stu
I am going by what the marketing director told me.

Fiestyone
05-04-2012, 05:32 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2012/952791-paint_along_2_copy.jpg My vein attempt to paint along is done... I watched the video a couple hours a day, trying to take it slow and manageable. It really was a lot of fun and I know that every time I watch Johannes I learn so much. Thanks Johannes for being such a great instructor and great artist.

chalet_dor
05-05-2012, 04:41 PM
I am so impressed with the paintings that have been posted. I watched the paint along live but I still am unable to download the video due to my poor Internet Connection. Some one I know is going to send it to me on a disk. I look forward to painting it...........Dorian : ))

Sgourlayart
05-06-2012, 05:57 AM
I am so impressed with the paintings that have been posted. I watched the paint along live but I still am unable to download the video due to my poor Internet Connection. Some one I know is going to send it to me on a disk. I look forward to painting it...........Dorian : ))Dor, I have already burned it on a disk and have your address; I'll mail it to you on Monday. Save your energy for your new downloads from Johannes and do check out Larry's course; you'll like it. Stu

chalet_dor
05-06-2012, 07:26 AM
Dor, I have already burned it on a disk and have your address; I'll mail it to you on Monday. Save your energy for your new downloads from Johannes and do check out Larry's course; you'll like it. Stu

:wave: Hi Stu
Thank you!
I will be passing these wonderful art classes and my supplies to my son and Grandson someday. (Not anytime soon though!)..............:D I bookmarked Larry's wonderful website a few years ago. Dorian

MapperGis
05-06-2012, 12:06 PM
I painted along with 22nd class. I tinkered a little more and will post as one.
I discovered so much and have so much to learn.
I started over and tried for a week or so, sometimes I wonder if there is a change?
I humbly post.
Thank you
Loishttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2012/221251-422-800.jpg
Second
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-May-2012/221251-422a800.jpgI forgot!! Helpful comments, critques and suggestions are welcomed. Thank You:clap:

pamshowcase
05-07-2012, 09:33 AM
Here is my attempt, acrylics on canvas board 11 x 14. Looking forward to next class. Pamhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2012/174457-P1050305_800x600.jpg

robert1952
05-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Hi all, just used real player to download 4-22 paintalong.....not the upgraded version of real player....took 7 hrs, was around 1.1 gigs and it's all there....6plus hrs.....will attempt to burn it to dvd later......thanks Jon, looking forward to Sat and Sunday!

robert1952
05-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Yahoo, it burned and plays!! FYI when it was downloading, it said the file would be over 2 gigs, then it stopped downloading at 1.1gig, I thought it crashed but when looking at it again, it was complete.....go figure.

Graleth
05-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Hi all,
Where do I try and download the file from please ?

Ivor

cajunRice
05-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Ivor, this is how I got it: My computer is a PC and I use "Windows Internet Explorer 8".
If you don't have realplayer, get it here. http://www.real.com/realplayer
It will put a skinny bar on your computer and you will see "download".
Now go to improvemypaintings.com, on your left click "Watch Free Live Class". Ignor the date that is for this Sat. Click it and the 22nd video is there. When you start the video, click the "download" on that new bar, run your curser on top of the playing video, a little bar, "download", shows up and click that. Even with my cable, it took a bit of time.

Ginger

kadon
05-20-2012, 11:53 PM
Still working on this. Can someone tell me the size of the canvas that Johannes painted on....the size of his picture? My canvas is 19 and a half inches by 16 inches. He said if the canvas was too big something could be added...any suggestions as to what could be added IF mine is too big? Some of the purple colour in the foliage is not showing much.

Still have a way to go...working on rocks and overall pic. Also I see he has added a moon...any domos about that?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2012/118422-22.jpg

So two questions: Size of Johannes canvas?
If mine is too big what can I add and where?

Johannes Instructor
05-20-2012, 11:56 PM
Still working on this. Can someone tell me the size of the canvas that Johannes painted on....the size of his picture? My canvas is 19 and a half inches by 16 inches. He said if the canvas was too big something could be added...any suggestions as to what could be added IF mine is too big? Some of the purple colour in the foliage is not showing much.

Still have a way to go...working on rocks and overall pic. Also I see he has added a moon...any domos about that?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2012/118422-22.jpg

So two questions: Size of Johannes canvas?
If mine is too big what can I add and where?
I said, : If you are working on a large canvas you can get away with more detail. The ruke of thumb is the smaller the painting the more simplified it needs to be. 16 X 20 is a midsize so refrain from too much detail but allow for some as long as it does not look busy.

kadon
05-21-2012, 12:06 AM
Thank you Johannes for your reply. That's all I needed to know. Don't want to add more detail.....not creative enough as yet:(. I must have missed the bit you did to introduce the moon.

paintncook
05-21-2012, 10:56 AM
Dor, I have already burned it on a disk and have your address; I'll mail it to you on Monday. Save your energy for your new downloads from Johannes and do check out Larry's course; you'll like it. Stu
OK, I am curious. Who is Larry and where do you find him?

Sgourlayart
05-21-2012, 11:18 AM
OK, I am curious. Who is Larry and where do you find him?Larry is Larry Seiler. His blog is http://larryseiler.blogspot.com/ and he just had his 5 one-hour Wet Canvas Live webinar sessions published by North Light. He references it on his blog. I attended some of the sessions and bought it from North Light; it is excellent and is somewhat like Johannes courses and will help solidify some painting techniques that are very useful, especially for the outdoor painter. Check him out on his blog. Stu

Johannes Instructor
05-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Thank you Johannes for your reply. That's all I needed to know. Don't want to add more detail.....not creative enough as yet:(. I must have missed the bit you did to introduce the moon.
I added that at the very end. By the way your painting is very good. I like how you muted the colors. Just define the area at the bottom right more so it is more coherent.

kadon
05-21-2012, 08:15 PM
Thank you again Johannes. I have to work on the rocks a fair bit more yet as well as bits here and there. I particularly thank you for your generosity in sharing some artist tips along the way.....like smudging parts when almost dry and using the rag and your thumb is a real addition! Who needs a paintbrush?

paintncook
05-21-2012, 09:08 PM
Larry is Larry Seiler. His blog is http://larryseiler.blogspot.com/ and he just had his 5 one-hour Wet Canvas Live webinar sessions published by North Light. He references it on his blog. I attended some of the sessions and bought it from North Light; it is excellent and is somewhat like Johannes courses and will help solidify some painting techniques that are very useful, especially for the outdoor painter. Check him out on his blog. Stu
Thanks Stu. Come to think of it, I think I have been to his site at one time.
Kathy

Amandine
05-22-2012, 07:16 AM
Remember though that Larry's style is really far from Johannes' one.

kadon
05-23-2012, 01:15 AM
Began work on rocks and some contrasts on back buildings....still have to work on smaller sheds and overall groundwork.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2012/118422-latest.jpg

Johannes Instructor
05-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Began work on rocks and some contrasts on back buildings....still have to work on smaller sheds and overall groundwork.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2012/118422-latest.jpg
Bingo you nailed it! Just remove that bright spot in the the no fly zone at the right edge. Then I would not work on it anymore.

Sgourlayart
05-23-2012, 06:45 PM
Remember though that Larry's style is really far from Johannes' one.Correct, but in my opinion and especially for me, his teaching is both effective and complementary to Jo's style. Very few teachers are endowed with Jo's ability to communicate with their students. Stu

LLeone
06-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Still not sure whether or not to put the tree and bush in the foreground here, but it will sit for a bit while I decide, so I'll post it now.

Alta Imp
07-17-2012, 02:23 PM
Photo is a bit darker than the painting. Most of this was finished at the time of the paint along but I was having a problem with the foreground and ended up wiping it out a couple of times. 12X16 oil on canvas panel. Barb