PDA

View Full Version : Destroy blocks or not?

msue
05-24-2003, 07:56 AM
Do you ever destroy your lino blocks? One of the things about being mostly self-taught is you don't always follow the "rules". I've never destroyed a block and I admit I have not always numbered my prints (that is changing now that I know more). The thought of destroying my block on purpose kills my soul.

talkingbanana
05-24-2003, 12:09 PM
People actually do that? :eek:

One of the things about going through public school art education is that they don't tell you these things . . .

Seriously, though, I wouldn't. I like the blocks as a work of art almost as much as the prints themselves (and with my registration skills, the blocks usually look better anyway). :angel:

timelady
05-24-2003, 03:06 PM
Yes. Usual practice is to cut the plate (any kind of plate) so that it is clearly a ruined image, then take a print of this 'struck' plate when the entire edition has been printed.

I used to just carve or drypoint (in the case of a metal plate, a big fat X across the plate and print it.

Tina.

sassybird
05-25-2003, 02:25 AM
Timelady is correct. To be fair to the buying public when you are making a numbered edition showing the destroyed plate in such a way makes them feel comfortable that no more prints will be made.

Now, though I strike my plates I still keep them for a couple of reasons. 1. I may use them in a metal sculpture. 2. They may become worth some money one day when you are rich and famous :D But, using them in a metal sculpture appeals to me more....lol

timelady
05-26-2003, 02:01 PM
I keep all my struck plates too! Actually, I quite like using the backs of them either for new drypoints or even just plain as a surface for monoprinting. :)

Tina.

sassybird
05-26-2003, 04:43 PM
Yep, I never throw anything away either. I also use the back of my plates. No use getting rid of something that still has a use :D