PDA

View Full Version : PASTEL RIOT.... Week 25th May - 1st June

Dark_Shades
05-24-2003, 07:54 AM
........ Flower .... was the first poster of last weeks Pastel Riot, and gets to choose this weeks images. Unfortunately she is away and could not open it up, so she has asked me to...... these are HER choices...... and very nice they are.

For anyone who doesn't know what these weekly threads are about - its all about seeing how others interrupt the same image!

First poster with their painting, has the Honour of starting the following weeks thread .... either using their own photos or WC's from the ref library (or any other images that are copyright free)

1st Choice.... from our own Sundiver

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2003/12116-Sundiver.jpg

2nd from our Jakeally

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2003/12116-Jakeally.jpg

3rd but not least ..... from Manwat

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-May-2003/12116-Manwat.jpg

Smudger
05-24-2003, 09:12 AM
b...b...but i'm still working on last weeks:(

Dark_Shades
05-24-2003, 09:16 AM
no probs Smudge......... when you've done, just post it to that thread.......... but just get your finger out!!! - its been along time since Ive seen a painting of yours :mad: ;) :D

No pressure ......... but Ive already done one of these ha ha ha

E-J
05-24-2003, 11:16 AM
Um ... ooops ... I didn't actually get around to joining in with last week's Riot :rolleyes: Seeing everyone else's colourful flowers and Craig's gorgeous landscape sort of put me off attempting the subjects ... same thing happened with all those wonderful renditions of the adobe and the marbles the week before. Though I love following the Riots, I think perhaps they're not the thing to get me painting :crying: Can't wait to see what people do with the background in photo #3.

Mo.
05-24-2003, 06:55 PM
Good selection of pics, not sure whether I'll be able to find time this week, lots going on, but will try

E-J, sorry to here that the riot thread doesn't inspire you. :)
But understand..is it the feeling of being obliged to paint something you don't really want to do? I can fully empathise with that.

cheers,
Mo.

sundiver
05-24-2003, 11:36 PM
Here goes my dislexarty thing again: I kept playing with that building and wall, but nothing felt comfortable...until I flipped it to a mirror image! What is WITH me I wonder?

Smudger
05-25-2003, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by Dark_Shades
no probs Smudge......... when you've done, just post it to that thread.......... but just get your finger out!!! - its been along time since Ive seen a painting of yours :mad: ;) :D

No pressure ......... but Ive already done one of these ha ha ha

:( Did you not see my Adobe last week?:(

E-J
05-25-2003, 04:37 AM
Mo, with last week's landscape I worried that I wouldn't be able to do it as well as Craig, and in fact I was left with his beautiful picture in my head instead of the ref photo: I was thinking 'I want to paint it like Craig did' instead of trying to figure out how to tackle it in my own style ... The answer is simple, I suppose: don't look at anyone else's versions until I've done my own! :)

Wendy, as long as you're producing paintings as super as the ones you've been showing us, you can turn your ref pics upside down for all I care :D

Dawn, you finished your fruits yet?

Dark_Shades
05-25-2003, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by E-J
Mo, with last week's landscape I worried that I wouldn't be able to do it as well as Craig, and in fact I was left with his beautiful picture in my head instead of the ref photo: I was thinking 'I want to paint it like Craig did' instead of trying to figure out how to tackle it in my own style ... The answer is simple, I suppose: don't look at anyone else's versions until I've done my own! :)

Wendy, as long as you're producing paintings as super as the ones you've been showing us, you can turn your ref pics upside down for all I care :D

Dawn, you finished your fruits yet?

*slaps EJ on the hand - these threads as in the weekly arent about doing better, as good as ....... fear of doing worse than... its all about joining in..... being inspired to at least try :crying: ....... if you dont try, you will never know - I know what you mean...... thought Craigs was brilliant, so much so he inspired me to at least try ....... dis appointed how mine turned out...... but I tried .... and posted

Dark_Shades
05-25-2003, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by Smudger

:( Did you not see my Adobe last week?:(

Sorry Smudge ........ just put it down to having a senior moment :)

Mo.
05-25-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by sundiver
Here goes my dislexarty thing again: I kept playing with that building and wall, but nothing felt comfortable...until I flipped it to a mirror image! What is WITH me I wonder?

What's happened Wendy?? Can't see your pic, am I blind as E-J has answered your post, but if you did post it's vanished into dislexart land. :)

Mo, with last week's landscape I worried that I wouldn't be able to do it as well as Craig, and in fact I was left with his beautiful picture in my head instead of the ref photo: I was thinking 'I want to paint it like Craig did' instead of trying to figure out how to tackle it in my own style ... The answer is simple, I suppose: don't look at anyone else's versions until I've done my own!

That's why I went completely opposite to everyone else with the rough silhoutted trees..... Agree with Dawn, you have to shut out what others do and just do your own thing...think about different colours, be dislexic like Wendy,:) turn it upside down, crop, add, play around with it first..forget it's a photo to copy, it's just a piece of reference to produce a painting from...maybe this will help? :)

Here's my mine, thought I'd do this one just using greys on grey paper, with just a little dab of blue/purple blended in here and there. 12x6 OP's. Took longer than I thought it would...just over an hour, OP's take longer to blend then soft.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2003/5154-greylandscape.jpg

Cheers,
Mo.

Dark_Shades
05-25-2003, 11:40 AM
ohhhhh goodie, someones posted a painting...... Ive been sitting here twiddling me thumbs waiting lol ..... actually thats I lie, because Ive done about hmmmmmm 3-4- erm or is that 5 paintings or attempts lol

..... I cant see Sundivers painting either ...... and I got rid of the Cookie Monster so it isnt that :D ....... so is it you Mo opening next weeks thread :D ..... I like passing the baby round lolol or is that a hot potatoe :D ..... pass the parcel

Nice one Mo ....... I think this subject is going to be interesting to see how people interrupt this one ........ the photo is wonderful, so thanks to Jakeally for taking it and posting as a ref..... will pm her to let her know that we are using it ..... she pops into pastels now and again
I think the image is quite soothing......... did you like how this one turned out Mo?

.... forgot to say.......... think the image is quite mystical...... can imagine it coming from a scene out of 'watership down' :D

... ohhhhhh theres that word again mystical :eek:

Dark_Shades
05-25-2003, 11:43 AM
ok this is mine......... scribbled for around about 30mins ..... quite enjoyed it :D ..... this was on Canson 9 x12 or there abouts, using bits of this n that

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2003/12116-Scribble.jpg

Dark_Shades
05-25-2003, 11:48 AM
.... for EJ, know how she lurvvvvvvvvvs my black paper ha ha ha

..... found I had a sheet in the Art Spectrum :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2003/12116-Mfruit.jpg

Mo.
05-25-2003, 12:08 PM
Hmmm so you twiddled your thumbs waiting for someone to post first hey? :D I forgot that when I posted, guess I'd better sort out some pics ready for next week, hope I can make them as interesting as the previous threads..... as to looking mystical and Watership Down...should I pop in a bunny or two, or a couple of ears silhouetted against the sky? :D:D

Now yours is totally different, I like it, it reminds me on one hand of an underwater scene with weaving fronds of seaweed on the sea bed..so if I pop in the bunnies in mine...you could pop in some fishies in yours.:D
Then on the other hand it's a lovely sunset landscape, funny how we see things. :)

The fruit is an absolute stunner Dawn, beautifully painted, you must be very, very pleased with that one...excellent painting. :clap::clap:

Cheers,
Mo.

Dark_Shades
05-25-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Mo.

Now yours is totally different, I like it, it reminds me on one hand of an underwater scene with weaving fronds of seaweed on the sea bed..so if I pop in the bunnies in mine...you could pop in some fishies in yours.:D

Cheers,
Mo.

Ha Ha Ha ....... *giggles

Dark_Shades
05-25-2003, 12:46 PM
:evil:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2003/12116-Scribblef.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2003/12116-greylandscapeb.jpg

...... ducking out ....... lolol

E-J
05-25-2003, 01:16 PM
*slaps EJ on the hand - these threads as in the weekly arent about doing better, as good as ....... fear of doing worse than... its all about joining in..... being inspired to at least try :crying: ....... if you dont try, you will never know - I know what you mean...... thought Craigs was brilliant, so much so he inspired me to at least try ....... dis appointed how mine turned out...... but I tried .... and posted

But I don't want to be disappointed. LOL

I don't remember your Riot landscape ... did I miss something? :confused:

E-J
05-25-2003, 01:20 PM
Btw Dawn, your fruits are ace!

Dark_Shades
05-25-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by E-J

But I don't want to be disappointed. LOL

I don't remember your Riot landscape ... did I miss something? :confused:

wozzzzzz this...... scotch mist or sumfink!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2003/12116-Scribble.jpg

if you are talking of last weeks Riot ........ I dont think the Riots are obligatory :D ;) yet :evil:

flower
05-25-2003, 04:43 PM
Hi Dawn,

Thank you so much for posting for me, really appreciate it, forgot that i had the exhibition this week, time just went OTT, hope everyone likes the choice, just been looking at what is already posted, am amazed, beautiful, wow, i m`going to start tomorrow already have my fav to do guess which one? LOL

sundiver
05-25-2003, 05:30 PM

..... I cant see Sundivers painting either
:eek:

Well, um, I haven't painted one yet! That's probably why! :D
Still wrestling with the composition.

Mo.
05-25-2003, 06:39 PM
:evil:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2003/12116-Scribblef.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-May-2003/12116-greylandscapeb.jpg

...... ducking out ....... lolol

ROTFLMAOOOOOOOO that must be a killer whale...it's bigger than the bunny..did anyone ever tell you, you ought to be certified?:evil:

Now I'm ducking out very quick.:D

Ever since you mentioned Watership Down, that song by Art Garfunkel keeps going around in my head, beautiful song too... :music: Bright Eyes.....How can you burn...:music:

Mo.
05-25-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by sundiver

Well, um, I haven't painted one yet! That's probably why! :D
Still wrestling with the composition.

Well hurry up then :D

guilliame
05-26-2003, 04:04 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2003/6932-silo.gif

Mo and DS,like your sillouettes,brought a smile to my face with the bunny and the great white although one reminded me of an octopus getting up in the morning aahhh just one more stretch:D anyway here is mine i had to block yours out and try to be adventurous only 45 mins though.:)

mhimeswc
05-26-2003, 04:28 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2003/20035-StillLifeWithFruit.jpg

This is the third time I am trying to post this. It makes me nuts when I have to keep logging in again, and then it loses my place and I have to start over.

Here is my painting of the fruit still life. It is 9 x 12 on blue paper from a Strathmore pastel pad. I had lots of problems with this one.

I lost the edges on the bananas. In fact, I have trouble keeping clean edges on everything.

I had trouble getting the darks under and between the fruit dark enough. I used several colors, and ended up adding black. I also got carried away with the highlight on that big apple.

My painting looks muddy, the upload looks much better than the real thing. I find that the uploads usually look better than my paintings, although it's just the opposite with my watercolors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michelle

flower
05-26-2003, 04:41 PM
Hi everyone,

heres my first attempt, took me half an hour to do, i think ll do it again but with more,

Guilli, love your sky,

mhimeswc, like your rendering too, i find that mine look awful when i have posted them, i see all the mistakes when theyre in the bildschirm,

Dawn love that fish of yours, it does resemble a fish tank dost it LOL

Here goes,

flower
05-26-2003, 04:43 PM
Hi,

Its me again who do i press the submit reply to soon, especially without the pic LOL

Mikki Petersen
05-26-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by mhimeswc
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-May-2003/20035-StillLifeWithFruit.jpg

This is the third time I am trying to post this. It makes me nuts when I have to keep logging in again, and then it loses my place and I have to start over.

Here is my painting of the fruit still life. It is 9 x 12 on blue paper from a Strathmore pastel pad. I had lots of problems with this one.

I lost the edges on the bananas. In fact, I have trouble keeping clean edges on everything.

I had trouble getting the darks under and between the fruit dark enough. I used several colors, and ended up adding black. I also got carried away with the highlight on that big apple.

My painting looks muddy, the upload looks much better than the real thing. I find that the uploads usually look better than my paintings, although it's just the opposite with my watercolors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michelle

I came over here to look for this after viewing your post on the fruit exercise you did. I think your problem witht he bananas is a lack of contrast shading to differentiate each piece. If you look at the ref pic, there are shadows. Other than that, I think you did quite a nice job on this. I like the style you are using. I can't stop blending, so I loose the spontaniety that your work is showing.

Mikki Petersen
05-26-2003, 09:59 PM
I just love all the variations on the misty landscape. Had to laugh when I saw the wildlife added to Dawn's and Mo.'s. What a kick.

rd2ruin
05-27-2003, 02:49 AM
E-J told me to come back to the Riot, and here I am, in all my "drop-and-slop" glory, since I know how y'all missed it so much.

Cheers!
- Greg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-May-2003/17338-apple_ban1.jpg

E-J
05-27-2003, 11:53 AM
Hurray, Greg's back! Oh how I love it when people do as I tell them! :D Like the way you've suggested the shine on the fruits even with that loose style. Anyway, I thought it was only old folks who suffered from 'dropping and slopping' problems ... LOL

Michelle, your painting doesn't look muddy here! Getting clean edges is a matter of practice ... I still have trouble with it. However if you lose the edge of the banana, just cut back into the banana shape with the blue fabric colour ~ if you're using soft pastels you should be able to do this a few times even when there's already a lot of colour on the paper.

I have exactly the same problem with lack of darks and often resort to using black underneath my shadow colours, which sometimes works out ok and other times just looks rubbish :rolleyes: That's why I'm looking into buying a set of Unison darks. Something else to try is using the darkest tint you have of the complementary colour to the one you want to darken.

Patricia, I'm almost sure you posted a pic too but I can't see it so you must not have used the Uploader ... meet me in the Caf sometime and I'll talk you through how to do it ~ over a glass of wine, of course :D

flower
05-27-2003, 02:31 PM
Hi everyone,
3rd attempt, thought it was loaded cos i can see it on my screen, here goes LOL

E-J
05-27-2003, 02:50 PM
Patricia ~ you can see the pic when viewing the thread normally, but try clicking on 'Post reply' and then see if you can find it :D You can only see the pictures when you're in the reply screen if the person has used the 'Uploader' option [at top of screen], and not when they've used the 'Attach file' button.

Sometimes people like to browse the images and be reminded of what they look like as they're replying to the thread, especially when there are quite a few to comment on!

Anyway, I've memorised what yours looks like :D well done on it!

angeline
05-27-2003, 03:04 PM
wow all the pictures here this week are fab!
I might just squeeze one in yet!

sundiver
05-27-2003, 08:00 PM
Didn't want to do the fruit because I already did one almost the same when I took that ref pic- just spread the fruit around a bit.
This is it.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-May-2003/6393-nanasandstuff.jpg
I did want to do the old building but still haven't a clue how to start.
So it's the mystical sunset. I did it after school (5 or 6 kids wanted to stay late and paint) with crappy pastels. It looked pretty bad, so when I got home I put some Holbeins on top, but Someone More Important was using the computer (in a panicky attempt to get an assignment finished at the last minute) so I wasn't even looking at the ref pic.
Those are my excuses and I'm sticking to them!
o.p. on manilla tag primed with India ink.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-May-2003/6393-plantsunsetthingy.jpg
I just finished a sci-fi novel where some of the good guys were kind of sentient plants; maybe I was influenced...

sundiver
05-27-2003, 08:06 PM
BTW
I love everybody else's versions, bunnies and all.
(I almost never cry over movies but I still tear up when that Bright Eyes song comes on in Watership Down!)
The fruit pictures are exquisite. Michelle , your edges don't all have to be clean, especially with a dark background. Greg-High 5! Good to have you here!
And unless I've missed a post I'm not the only one too chicken to attempt that building.........................:D

Luvy
05-27-2003, 10:53 PM
Well here's my pastel riot contribution. It's on black cason 9 x 12. Did this in a couple of hours but need to work on that one apple in the back more I think. It's a little scrawny and not right at all

flower
05-28-2003, 02:23 AM
Hi Everyone,

I love all the variations of the fruit, the different blues of the cloths,
Sundiver, your sky looks real dreamy,
As being as i posted the pic of the barn i should attempt it, time is very short this week, but we have a public holiday tomorrow, so ill try it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dark_Shades
05-28-2003, 07:18 AM
Nice works everyone ........ love your change of colour for the sky Sundiver........ and your fruits look really great Luvy ..... like the change to the green cloth too ..... works really well

..... good to see you participating again Greg

Dark_Shades
05-28-2003, 07:21 AM
By the way.......... did anyone else get email alerts to this thread that LADYKEEN had joined in the thread ??????? I got 4!!

Mikki Petersen
05-28-2003, 09:18 AM
Who is LADYKEEN?

Everyone is doing beautiful work. I can see how these weekly projects are really helping everyone improve their skills. Go back and look at the first couple of weeks and it's really remarkable! Great job, you guys!

Dark_Shades
05-28-2003, 03:25 PM
ok, just got ANOTHER email ........ am I going mad or what :mad:

LadyKeen has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - PASTEL RIOT.... Week 25th May - 1st June - in the Pastels forum of WetCanvas!.

thats the 5th one today........... does anyone see her?????

Dark_Shades
05-28-2003, 03:29 PM
how weird......... can see her in the pastel forum, and shes joined Smudgers project......... but the emails are coming to me under this thread

:confused:

...... time for me to unsubscribe me thinks............ by all

guilliame
05-28-2003, 03:35 PM
HEY DS, i got one for the pastel riot but dont see it but if you look in smudgers chelsea flower show project there is a post by ladykeen from there you might be able to find her as your a bit of a whizz on computers whereas i'm just a dummy:D

Dark_Shades
05-28-2003, 03:42 PM
are you getting any email alerts from her Guilly for this thread? .... or is anyone else ......

Yeah, can see she's joined Smudges project....... and went and looked to see if she has recently commented... but she hasn't .......

.......Ive posted a message to Scott ...... so lol let him worry about it :)

guilliame
05-28-2003, 03:49 PM
Just had another one:eek:

Mikki Petersen
05-28-2003, 08:51 PM
Just to let you know Dawn, I got an e-mail message that Ladykeen had posted here, too. I don't see it though...

Mikki Petersen
05-28-2003, 08:54 PM
uhhh, make that two messages...who is she?

flower
05-30-2003, 11:07 AM
Hi everyone,

Mo ive just seen your pic, i missed it before, its beautiful, i thibnk ill try it with purple too,

Ive posted the one of the barn, think the sky should have been more white than pink......................

Jakeally
05-30-2003, 11:36 AM
Hi! Everyone..... just popped in to say WOW.... AWESOME WORK.
I feel quite honoured that you have used my photo and I am so happy you got inspiration to create such wonderful pictures.

Fabulous:clap: :clap: :clap: :D

Mo.
05-30-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by flower
Hi everyone,

Mo ive just seen your pic, i missed it before, its beautiful, i thibnk ill try it with purple too,

Ive posted the one of the barn, think the sky should have been more white than pink......................

Thanks Flower....
Your barn is lovely I like the pink sky, sets it off nicely... Wish you'd used the uploader though....and you are the only one to tackle it..well done

Beautiful variety of fruits, so good to see all the different styles, Sundiver like how you spread them around a bit, did you use indian ink on this one?

Jakeally...glad you like all the variations...I think they are all fabulous too (including bunnies and fishes:D)... it's such a beautiful ref pic to work from. Thankyou. :)

Cheers,
Mo.

Mikki Petersen
05-31-2003, 08:02 AM
Wellllllll...Here is my first attempt in over a month. Amazing how fast skills get rusty! I now really understand why every art instruction encourages spending some time drawing every day. Well, here's my fruit:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2003/14550-fruit-a.jpg

5x7
Pastel on Canson Mi Tientes, Dark Blue