GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: portrait study
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 9x12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I am trying my hand at portraits. In my first attempt, I was very successful in drawing a likeness of my friend but once I applied my paintbrush I screwed it up royally. In this attempt, I felt I needed to play with the paint - the likeness wasn't as important as trying my hand at playing with color.
This study was done completely spontaneously in literally 15 minutes or so. No underdrawing, I just painted based on a picture of one of my friends. His name is Guru.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any portrait artist out there that can give me advice?

giniaad
05-24-2003, 08:58 AM
all I think need be said is
keep playing
your instincts are working...

your path is unfolding before you

jerryW
05-24-2003, 09:05 AM
clearly the right approach is being followed

HRobinson
05-24-2003, 10:55 AM
... there's some personality showing through. Is it accurate? Portraiture is not just dealing with "floating heads." It would also include posturing and coloration. This is done in an interesting style. -Harry

pero lane
05-24-2003, 12:29 PM
I think your background needs work...the darker color around the head needs to be extended all the way to the edges of the canvas. Also some semblance of neck & shoulders need to be put in to kill the "floating head" effect.
Other than that I think you've done a great job!!

angelmakerla
05-25-2003, 01:48 PM
Keep playing with it. For a first try at portraiture, this has a lot of spontenaiety.

It feels like a Freud painting.

artinoils
05-25-2003, 01:52 PM
Keep painting...you're going in the right direction. I would say to think more about placement in the space and cut off point below the head...neck and shoulder or below hands.

atont
05-26-2003, 04:16 PM
thanks all. I plan to post some additional studies as I proceed. Hope you guys can keep up with the responses!

:)