PDA

View Full Version : Inductance

Healer
05-23-2003, 10:35 PM
Hi all,

One from tonight before I pop off to the land of z's.

Title: Inductance
Encaustic wax on sealed white card using an Iron and hot air gun and crushed ants
14.5 x 11.5 inches
Any comments and rants welcome

cheers
Andy

kymbo
05-24-2003, 12:06 AM
Love the movment
Why the need to kill ants
Well done

surreal
05-24-2003, 12:19 AM
You crushed ants for this piece?
:(

Healer
05-24-2003, 07:29 AM
it's OK folks, there's no crushed ants in this piece. just thought I'd write something different in my description for a change. i noticed a few ants in the house so there were probably a few stuck under my shoes and that sort of got me thinking. don't worry i'm not on a mission to kill antz, even if Sylvester Stallone did play one :cat:

thanks for looking folks and enjoy your weekend
Andy

Healer
05-24-2003, 07:59 AM
oh and here's a detail shot as I've never posted one for any for these encaustics before. no ants in sight.

little dreamer
05-24-2003, 10:23 AM
~your pictures of the encaustics are all most fantastic~ .

judithj
05-24-2003, 10:49 AM
HI Healer!

I've worked with encaustics and they sure are a lot of fun.

I love the detail and the way the medium has been allowed to express it's nature.

I wish I could see the work up close and personal because I suspect that much is lost in a small jpg.

I'm sitting here with the image in my mind and I am reminded of busy energy.

Can you tell me more about the intention behind this work?

-Judith

mmk
05-25-2003, 02:28 AM
wow, it looks great and i love the movement!

ginatec
05-25-2003, 12:25 PM
Love your Encaustic wax work and your choice of color. IMHO the crushed ants just add that little extra something....:D

Healer
05-27-2003, 08:25 PM
LittleDreamer, Judith, MMK, Ginatec - Thanks for looking and taking time to comment.

Hi Judith - Sorry for the late reply. Glad you enjoyed your time working with encaustics. Was it something you decided to try yourself or was it a course? Yes, it is hard for people to appreciate detail etc here, we (everyone here) are after all reducing our works to a fraction of their real size. It is hard to truly appreciate anybodies work unless you see it right there in person. I've always wondered that, particularly with encaustics as I've never seen anybody elses work except in cyberspace or printed in books. You asked about the intention behind this work. I presume you mean this piece in particular (or do you mean my work with encaustics in particular and where do i wish to go with it?). Anyway, it's actually more a musical thing, about the fact that just through music itself without lyrics (whether it be electronic or classical or whatever) the fact you can paint a picture or tell a story and make people happy and sad just with sound of the instruments/notes themselves. It goes back to the years I spent playing music, mostly all on my own, all purely instrumental. Some people say that all paintings are personal portraits so my previous sentence probably proves that.

regards,
Andy

judithj
05-28-2003, 03:18 PM
Hi Andy

I was just playing with crayons and a candle - I would warm up the crayon and then draw with the soft wax and I worked back into it with a hot pallet knife - had a blast and I did a piece I really liked and framed it - Mom has it hanging in her sitting room but the wax is falling off the paper (did this piece 20 years ago) - I guess crayola on paper is not the best way to make archival encaustics ;)

Andy - when I was studying art history - I never understood the big deal about Mark Rothko's work - until I got a little of the sense of it at a lecture because the work was large and illuminated as a slide.

When I saw a real one up close and personal - it was then that it hit me-WOW.

The little things in the art history books could never convey this experience.

I know that everyone's work is not ever done justice as a small jpg - but some translate better than others...

Your work looks like something that needs to be meditated on... to really sense it and understand it - I think that because the details you sent were so engaging but I just could not get a sense of the work as a whole from the original jpg.

It deserves a 'sitting.' Time to be with it and just be with it...

now that you say that your work is inspired by your music I would love to sit with a piece with some of your music playing...

Mmmmmm

Gar
05-28-2003, 03:58 PM
I really dig this medium and technique. The beauty of the randomness of the material and what not. Coolness.:)

only1tomb
05-28-2003, 09:08 PM
i love the ability of movement w/ wax.

how did you stumble on to this medium, and how can i find, and experiment w/ it???

simple irresistable!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Luzie
05-29-2003, 11:19 AM
I love all of these you have shown here so far. This also is very energetic and rich. Seeing your wonderful results with this medium sure is tempting me to try one day:)

Healer
05-29-2003, 09:08 PM
Cheers everyone for the feedback

Gar You are right, the material has a unique beauty with the way it flows and looks. People love the luminosity it responds very well to light.

Luzie If you do give it a try dont forget to let us all have a gander at the results. I reckon youd really dig it. Ive bought a load of oil sticks to use with them in the near future (can draw onto the encaustic surface with them). By the way I love your signature note if you cant face it, moon it. I saw that whilst I was at work and was pi***ng my sides laughing. Id love to see the look on someones face who you just said that to.

Tom If you follow the links they lead to a few of my past threads where people have requested information on encaustic. You should have no problems getting the materials and tools in the USA. Encaustic.com is probably a good starting place for your stuff to start. As to how I started, well I was at my friends relatives house and they had a crafts magazine there that had an article in it on encaustic painting. I thought yes this medium is for me and suits my style (my friend even agreed) and when I got back to Manchester I was straight on the net requesting a price list. Took it from there really via reading a few books and stuff on the net. I think it suits abstract work to a tee due to its unpredictability. Suits fantasy too due to the vibrant and luminous colour. Anyway, heres the links. Best of luck.

www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=107775

www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=104441

Judith Its such a shame about your picture. Id be really cheesed off if something like that happened to me. You are not the first person I have come across who has used crayons. I read they will eventually crack and chip because crayons are probably based on paraffin wax (same as your candle) and that alone is hard and brittle. I think the artists who paint with paraffin wax add some beeswax to it and that prevents the cracking. The waxes I use are already formulated beeswax, pigment and damar resin. Yes I agree, books are basically for referance a sort of portfolio of an artists work where you can study the evolution of an artist and can see reasonably good images of without being in front of the picture itself. Once again, thanks for the interest in knowing more about this work and for taking the time to comment/discuss.

See all of yas later
Andy :cat: