PDA

View Full Version : Untitled (trees and light and stuff like that)

Helen Zapata
05-23-2003, 02:23 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-23-2003/13900_BurningBush100.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/05-23-2003/13900_BurningBush500.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Untitled (trees and light and stuff like that)
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11x14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
[Crossposted in Landscapes]

Practicing working with foliage, branches, skyholes, and glazes. This turned out to be a lot of fun, after getting some great advice from mjt who got to see my embarrassing first effort.

Helen

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
okee dokee

Gilberte
05-23-2003, 02:50 PM
Nothing embarassing about this one ... ! Go ahead and show more !

pero lane
05-23-2003, 05:56 PM
This is beautiful! Embaressed??:confused:

Helen Zapata
05-23-2003, 06:06 PM
Oh no... it was the "first draft" of this that was embarrassing! I was trying to be colorful and it got wayyyy out of control. I'm happy with it now! :D

Glad you like it!

Helen

giniaad
05-23-2003, 10:50 PM
like something magical
is waiting around the courner

anticipation...

Antonella
05-24-2003, 04:40 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:
nothing embarassing about this one for sure!! looking forward to see more of the sort

Wayne Gaudon
05-24-2003, 11:20 AM
As a comparison ciritque, it looks like you followed your teacher's path very well
.. the sky is too intense for an mt but your coloring is very good and your sense of light is almost complete ..

.. not comparing it to an mt it's great.

Later,

artamust
05-25-2003, 11:59 AM
I had to come back to this one a couple of times - had to see what made it so successful. The use of the predominant complementary colors blue and orange give it depth and atmosphere.

I also like your rendering of the tree limbs. They help define the dark shadowy negative space behind them.

It has a lot of blues of different hues that would naturally seem to cool the scene down but they don't. Indeed, the presence of the orange warms the whole scene up to the point that the warmth seems to emanate from the pure blue sky.

The only thing that bothers me a bit is the subdued trees in the left background. In the overall perspective they don't seem far enough away to be subdued to that degree. Maybe a bit of orange would help bring them into perspective.

Very nice painting.

Helen Zapata
05-25-2003, 03:42 PM
Giniaad, thank you! Anticipation.. I like that. Might be a good title. :)

Thank you Antonella! Gotta love all that applause. :D

Thanks Wayne. Listening to others, now I'm convinced that the too bright sky IS on the image and not just my monitor. I'll have to reshoot it outside before I sell it. (with these LCD monitors, it's hard sometimes to tell how the image "really" looks). Glad you like it. I'm not trying to copy Michael's work, per se, .. just learning some new techniques right now. I think this might be the first "tree painting" I've done in years where I didn't resort to my knives. I'm having a ball.

Thanks for your ponderings, artmust. I appreciate the extra time and insight. I went over to look at the painting itself, and I think it's all right. There are some subtle warm colors in there that aren't really showing up in the image. But I'll keep it in mind as it's sitting in the "available to be twiddled with" stage. lol

Helen