PDA

View Full Version : collagraph series

talkingbanana
05-22-2003, 04:10 PM
I just brought all my work from this year's art class home (teacher keeps it all year for shows and stuff, then gives it back at the end of the year), and this actually happened to be one of my favorite projects: a collagraph printmaking project.

I usually despise the printmaking project, because I can't register a good print for the life of me, but this process makes it easy. Because of the press, it doesn't matter if the print is straight or not; we print the prints on a big enough sheet of paper that it can be crooked, and simply mat it straight. My kind of printmaking, heh. :angel:

Anyway, the collagraph plate is made of relatively flat . . . stuff, for lack of a better all-inclusive word. Tagboard, fabric, and pine needles went into mine.

Because a press is used, you get an interesting texture. Ink isn't necessary to get a print. I punched up the contrast on this scan, so the paper color's off a bit, but I thought the texture was more important than the background color.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2003/16668-embossedprint.jpg

After four or so embossings, I made about eight prints using silkscreen printing ink. You spread it on and then wipe it off, leaving the ink in the crevices to capture the texture and such. The wiping off part resulted in some "interesting" ink textures.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2003/16668-inkedprint.jpg

Finally, I chose the two lightest prints (not enough ink) and hand-colored them, using watercolors. Here's the good one.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2003/16668-coloredprint.jpg

That's enough printmaking for me for the year. :rolleyes: :D

sassybird
05-22-2003, 08:39 PM
That's enough printmaking for me for the year.

Awe, now don't give up on it yet :D Printmaking is a lot of fun, and there are so many things you can do in the medium. I love your collagraph. Those are so much fun to put together. I haven't done one in ages, so you have inspired me :) You laid this out nicely, and doing a embossing first is a good idea. The colors you chose really make the image pop!

If you have any questions about registration of prints I can give you some good tips. That was my problem for awhile, but I learned some things from other students as well as my prof. I don't know what your major is, but printmaking is always a good backup:D I nearly have enough credits for fibers, printmaking and drawing to get degrees in all three plus I am about done with my sociology which was to be my double major.

humblebee8
05-22-2003, 11:51 PM
Hi Sassybird,
I would appericate a new topic on registration tips, I'm getting ready to do my first color prints in ages and could use some tips. I finally bought a crafty/printmaking book and it has one method, but hearing your ideas would be good too.
Thanks!
Heather

www.humblearts.com

humblebee8
05-23-2003, 12:17 AM
Hi talkingbanana,
I just wanted to say that I loved the black and white image, very abstract and wonderful textures.
I also have a hard time being precise, but I just go with it anyways.

Heather
www.humblearts.com

talkingbanana
05-25-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by sassybird

I don't know what your major is, but printmaking is always a good backup

Considering that I'm finishing up my sophomore year in high school, I don't know what my major is either. But I'll take that as a tremendous compliment. :D

Thanks! I'd love to see a Sticky or something on registration - I'm sure I'll have a printmaking project next year, and I'm sure I'll botch it as badly as I've messed up the past ones. Because I'm a poor high school student, I don't have the money to do lots of printmaking, so my only experiences have been in school.

It's funny, I like carving lino blocks better than making these plates, but these come out soooo much better for me. Go figure.

Thanks, Heather! I'm glad you like them. Yeah, I can't be precise worth anything - last year I printed a lino block and couldn't get it right no matter how hard I tried, so I purposely messed it up and it looked pretty cool. :cool:

pennlym
06-01-2003, 11:55 AM
I love your embossing. I have just started embossing myself and I'm hooked. I cut into mount board and emboss by hand, what do you use and how do you do it? I like to put colour in my embossing so I use water colour inks on the wet paper and then emboss with it. Christine
:cat: