echidna
05-21-2003, 11:05 PM
i LOVE this angle! and the mother has such a tender expression too:p
~Echidna

pencils4me
05-21-2003, 11:56 PM
Hey ya Wes!

You getting sentimental on us?;)

the colors lend to the mood of this one -such an interesting angle, and wow this is so small!

how many more you got up yer sleeve?

TJ

Paul Hopkinson
05-22-2003, 03:20 AM
Once again a nice angle! I'd like to know what the photographer thought when the horse was bending down towards him!:D Was it you?

Well done!
Paul

crazeejumper
05-22-2003, 06:59 AM
I love the angle & composition! Wonderful painting!! :clap:

Peggy Gross
05-22-2003, 07:57 AM
:cat:
What a great look!! Very unusual!!
You created an excellent piece of art!!

Peggy

Leslie Pz
05-22-2003, 10:00 AM
:clap: Excellent! :clap: Love It! :clap:

Your detail is excellent. The horse is wonderfully treated and so realistic (to a horse non-expert) I love the palette, especially the golden grass. You really handled that wonderfully! (Love the treatment and the technique!)

ironhorse
05-22-2003, 10:30 AM
That is really cool Wes! I really like the colours in this one!
Twyla

gemmag
05-22-2003, 11:13 AM
This is wonderful, I love the composition and angle! Well done!!!

Gemma

Jolinar
05-22-2003, 11:28 AM
Camera distortions can be very ugly, but here it's absolutely perfect. I love this!

RachelG*
05-22-2003, 01:40 PM
This is sooo cute!!!! great painting, as always!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pippin
05-22-2003, 10:48 PM
Neat angle to do the horse from.I love the way the colors work in it!

Line
05-23-2003, 07:02 AM
Awww, a great work with such a feeling to it :) I love your pick of color :D

RobinZ
05-23-2003, 09:51 AM
Love it. Love the title.

She-She
05-23-2003, 11:15 AM
Oh this is a beauty Wes!!
I first saw this in the Critique Forum. I was thinking how sweet this feels. The colors in it are wonderful!! It sure gives the viewers a feel of what it must be like to be a baby horse.
I love the angle!!

Lady Carol
05-23-2003, 03:29 PM
I would rename this "What are you doing down there....you were on my back 2 seconds ago!" LOL!

This is the look my horse gave me after I fell off

Great painting by the way. I love that look.

Peggy Gross
05-23-2003, 03:31 PM
Good Idea Carol

Peggy G

shedreamsbig
05-23-2003, 09:14 PM
Wow wes,

I really like this painting such a neat perspective!! really really cool!

Great Job as ussual!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Christina

Leaflin
05-23-2003, 09:31 PM
:clap: I love this Wes!!! :clap:

Wes Hyde
05-24-2003, 10:27 AM
Thanks everyone for looking, and especially to you who replied.

TJ, I have quite a number more up my sleeve, and boards prepped for 17 more currently, all minis.

Carol, hillarious! Most of the horses I've ever come off of have either split the scene of the crime or tried to stomp the evil thing they were finally rid of. I once had a hoof come down so close to my head it nearly took my ear... I was 9 years old then, and the horse was an old rodeo bronc named Blue. He was 26 at the time and I cried my guts out the next year when he died. And in the interim, I was able to ride him many more times. He was only able to unseat me the once. :D

Paul, I'm not the photographer as I will soon reveal in my next statement.

I want to share with you a short story about an icon of the American West: the Nokota horse. As many of you may have noticed, I never show my reference material, but in the interest of The Nokota Horse Conservancy, you will be able to go to their web site and see the photo that inspired this painting. In truth, I changed very little.

You may go to their web site and read the "Brief History," so I'll keep my little blurb short:

--Taken from an interview of me done by David Ayers which you can read in its entirety at Avatar Reveiw, http://3.avatarreview.com:8081/avatar5/ :

WES ...Iím about to embark on a series of paintings depicting the Nokota horse, a variety of wild horse the National Park Service has pushed off their last native range in Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota. The last surviving Nokota horses are on a ranch in Linton, North Dakota, owned by the Kuntz brothers; please read about these horses on the Nokota Horse Conservancy site: http://www.nokotahorse.org/. Later this year I will be donating a painting for the conservancy to auction. The proceeds will go toward the cost of maintaining these horses. I believe that it is important for us to preserve our western heritage, and the wild horse is a symbol of this heritage. Your donations will be very much appreciated, and if you get a chance, stop out at the ranch

I've been corresponding by e-mail, phone and snail mail with Castle McLaughlin, Shelly Hauge, and Frank Kuntz, and have been graciously granted carte blanche on all photography (Some of which has been sent to me directly) for the purpose of creating art that we all hope will promote the Conservancy and help in reaching more people that are interested in preserving the heritage of the American West through donations the will help maintain this herd.

Best regards,

Wes

pencils4me
05-24-2003, 10:58 AM
WES!

My hats off to you my friend.

Such a wonderful project to take part in. I wish you and these beautiful Nakota horses much success.

Can't wait to hear more!

:D

TJ

Lady Carol
05-24-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Wes Hyde

Carol, hillarious! Most of the horses I've ever come off of have either split the scene of the crime or tried to stomp the evil thing they were finally rid of. I once had a hoof come down so close to my head it nearly took my ear... I was 9 years old then, and the horse was an old rodeo bronc named Blue. He was 26 at the time and I cried my guts out the next year when he died. And in the interim, I was able to ride him many more times. He was only able to unseat me the once. :D

Fortunately neither of my horses (a TB, and a QH) have ever tried to kill that thing that was on their back. They have both looked shocked that I had came off. LOL! With the exception of the last time I rode my TB and he managed to unseat me in a particularly nasty way. He did gallop and buck his way around the arena for the next 10 minutes, enjoying every minute of it, until my trainer caught him and beat the %$*& out of him. You're brave to ride broncs.