PDA

View Full Version : Lapwing

Jakeally
05-21-2003, 10:33 AM
Hi! Everyone
This is my latest effort....another bird I'm afraid....just can't seem to want to draw anything else at the moment:D
I am reasonably pleased with it....I think I am getting better with those darned feet.
The nest was difficult and I still don't know if I've done enough with it:confused: Please let me know if you see something I haven't:D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2003/4535-Lapwing.jpg

Oldthumbs
05-21-2003, 11:01 AM
If all your birds are as good as this, there's no reason to draw anything else. :)

The drawing has great detail to it and serves well to show what the bird looks like. It could, perhaps, use a little more shading if you wanted to express a greater sense of depth. It looks like everything is lit very strongly from the front. For example, the eggs could gain a better sense of "roundness" with some shadows.

But once again, it is fine the way it is. Just depends on your vision of your drawing.

Ray

rapolina
05-21-2003, 11:14 AM
i like it as it is.
how did you color the eggs?

ciao, rapolina.

els
05-21-2003, 11:57 AM
Very good one Chris... Agree with Ray re the shading...

artdude
05-21-2003, 12:33 PM
I am so impressed by how much you've grown with ink Chris!! I really love this!! I say keep on going with the birds! :) You do an AMAZING job with them!! :D Ray has a good point about maybe some subtle shading on the eggs. Maybe just some light stippling to show some shadow?? Print out a copy and experiment so your original will stay untouched. It's your call, I love it the way it is too!! :D:)

:clap: :cat: :clap:

Jakeally
05-21-2003, 01:14 PM
Ray....thank you so much.....I had become obsessed with the nest and grass I totally forgot the eggs. I had intended to go back and put some more washes on them. sheeeeeeesh....put it down to a senior moment:D Thanks so much for looking and taking the time to help me out....much appreciated:D

Eamon.... thank you....yes.... I agree too:D

Rapolina....thank you, I am so glad you like it. The eggs are done in watercolour:D

Murray.... Thank you for being there as always and I am so happy that you like it. This is all your fault you know. I keep thinking I would like to do some watercolours and I make my way to my boxes....but I always end up in front of my pen box....it's like a magnate and I can't resist :D :D
It is amazing how you get so close to your drawings you forget where you are sometimes. I think you become blind sometimes too because you are concentrating too much on one aspect and forget to step back and really look at what you are doing.
Gaaaaaaawd....what would I do without you all:D :cat:

BTDogMom
05-21-2003, 01:19 PM
WOW!! Chris, u blow my mind with these beautiful birds - yeah, I'd say u have the feet down pretty good - I also love how u have been coloring only 1 aspect your latest works - makes it so interesting and exciting - I love it!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

mel-ink
05-21-2003, 05:23 PM
Oh goody!!! I was hoping a lapwing was another bird!! Those feet are fantastic, Chris!! I really like the nest, too. And the bird...aw heck!! I love the whole thing!! :D

:clap: :clap: :clap:

drwells
05-21-2003, 06:00 PM
Wew Hew!! Chris, this is another great one!!! I agree with Ray and Murray...a little more shadow and it will really jump.

another bird I'm afraid....just can't seem to want to draw anything else at the moment

Hmmm, sounds like the same "problem" some geek is having with trees. :D

danny

MonicaB
05-21-2003, 07:02 PM
Wow, Chris. At the risk of sounding repetitive, this is wonderful!

kare
05-21-2003, 07:49 PM
Gorgeous piece!!!
i think his feet are grand, i love the colour in the eggs and the nest- it looks amazing!!!

this is grand art- can't wait to see more from you!
:)

seejay
05-21-2003, 10:36 PM
This is lovely, Chris. Love the eggs especially, the touch of colour is a marvellous touch.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Jakeally
05-22-2003, 04:40 AM
Awww shucks you guys....you got me blushing here:D
Thank you so much for all your kind comments.... they are really appreciated.
I am pleased with this one as the feathers seemed to go in the right place.... practice must be paying off:D
As I said the hardest bit for me was the nest and grass and where to put the darks to make it look realistic..... I really must go and look for the grass demo that is around here somewhere and read it again now I'm more interested.
Right....I am off to put in my shadows on the eggs.
See you all later:D

dolors
05-22-2003, 08:27 AM
This is wonderful Chris. You are drawing better and better every time. I love your birds and I also think you should go on with them. The bird's expression is fantastic and the nest and eggs are great. Also the limited use of colour is well done. Perfect!

Petdevils
05-23-2003, 02:19 AM
holy crap....can wehave a closeup?

Jakeally
05-23-2003, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by Petdevils
holy crap....can wehave a closeup?
Here you go:D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2003/4535-Head.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2003/4535-Body.jpg