PDA

View Full Version : Lotus Series

Nisha
05-20-2003, 10:52 AM
Hi Everyone!
Here is another in my lotus series. This one is the "Lotus of Creation".
The colours have blanched a little in the gif - ugh!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2003/21910-LOTUS3_copy.gif

All comments are welcome - good and bad.

Thanks,

Nisha:D

rapolina
05-20-2003, 10:54 AM
very beautiful and eye-catching!
IMO, colors works better, i like it a lot!

ciao, rapolina.:)

Her_Witchs_Promise
05-20-2003, 12:21 PM
one word:

BEAUTIFUL

surreal
05-20-2003, 06:35 PM
It is lovely!

Healer
05-20-2003, 06:41 PM
Nice one. It kinda glows with that yellow aura around it. Nice use of colours, especially the warm orange at the top of the lotus.

Andy

Nisha
05-21-2003, 09:48 AM
Thank you Rapolina, Her_Witches_Promise, Surreal and Healer.

Hope you all are having a great day!

Xerielle
05-21-2003, 11:14 AM
Absolutely stunning! How did you create this?

dragoni689
05-21-2003, 07:15 PM
well, i like the nice graphic quality and the iconically expressive way you have presented this, but i do dislike the symmetry.

Nisha
05-22-2003, 11:19 AM
Xerielle: Thanks! It's a really simple technique. I usually sketch it out and then scan it into photoshop. Then I work on it using colours quite intuitively to express what I feel. It's a new direction for me but I'm being able to express something which is deeper in my heart through this series. The Wacom tablet really helps me to bring my own expression to it. This one is particularly associated with birth and creation.
I wanted a pastel/chalk feel since I'm trying to express some deeper spiritual beauty which is everpresent but difficult to grasp and be aware of. Almost like the sand mandalas created by Tibetan Monks.
I'm so glad you liked it.

Dragoni689: Thanks for your comments. In what way do you think the symmetry doesn't work? Do you think symmetry is not appropriate for this piece? I'd love some more feedback.

Thanks,

dragoni689
05-22-2003, 11:51 AM
I suppose it's personal preference... but my feelings have changed now that i've read a little bit more about what you think of your piece.

But my original reasons, fresh and devoid of input aside from looking at the piece?

I think the reason i felt that way was that i've always experienced flowers as organic constructs that rarely involve symmetry- sure they may look symmetrical when you first glance, but if you count petals you'll usually find that they're uneven or that the flower has some sort of deformity.

There is also a principal of asian-philisophical origin which suggests that one can find the beauty of something entirely contained within it's individuality.

Lotuses included.... they are not always symmetrical.
Albeit, i do agree that there are SOME symmetrical flowers, i think that saying all flowers are symmetrical is a generalization, too vague and vain to be of use to an artist.
Reasons:

Good Art, as a general quality, has always been seeking to depict the extraordinary, the individual, wouldn't you agree?
and this is not to say that lotuses are not extraordinary, nor individual- i just feel that, while your piece is certainly very aesthetically pleasing in color and even style, presenting a lotus in a symmetrical composition makes for an ordinary view.

However, that may VERY well be what you were going for- Lotus as a whole, Lotus as a one being, Lotus as LOTUS- it's very Zen for me, and judging from your comment about tibetan sand mandalas, i would say you probably feel pretty similarly about the piece in relation to it's one-ness?
I could argue that it seems just a tad aloof due to the missing individuality/wabbi-sabi expression.....

I really hope you don't take offense to this, i don't intend to insult you, only to explain as you asked. Hope the feedback helps...

So, do you agree with me, or how do you feel about this piece?

crazi4art
05-22-2003, 04:47 PM
omg..i'm in love..its awesome..

Nisha
05-23-2003, 10:55 AM
Crazi4art: Thanks. I'm so glad you liked it.

Dragoni689:

I really hope you don't take offense to this, i don't intend to insult you, only to explain as you asked. Hope the feedback helps...

No offence taken at all. I am always interested in another point of view. That is why I asked for more feedback.

Good Art, as a general quality, has always been seeking to depict the extraordinary, the individual, wouldn't you agree?

Actually, I disagree with that. I believe that art is meant to make the ordinary extraordinary. I also believe that art is a medium for expression and that it is the individual expression/perspective of the artist that makes it valuable, not necessarily the subject matter. There is great beauty in individual differences but there is no less beauty in wholeness. There is beauty in the drop of water and in the entire ocean.

presenting a lotus in a symmetrical composition makes for an ordinary view

Interesting perspective. I don't agree since I think symmetry has its own beauty and is not ordinary in any sense at all. It has it's place in art just as asymmetry does. Some of the most beautiful art I've seen are in the symmetrical mosaics on temple, church and mosque walls. All of which seek to heighten the religious and spiritual experience. There is also symmetry in nature and so there will also be symmetry in art. I think symmetry is a great compositional tool to explore ideas of innate wholeness and completion.

However, that may VERY well be what you were going for- Lotus as a whole, Lotus as a one being, Lotus as LOTUS- it's very Zen for me, and judging from your comment about tibetan sand mandalas, i would say you probably feel pretty similarly about the piece in relation to it's one-ness?

Exactly. In this series I am exploring the idea of cosmic wholeness through the icon of the lotus which represents compassion, creation and hope. Our innate Oneness as a source of compassion, creation and hope. The subject is not the Lotus. I would have taken an entirely different approach if that was my goal.

It is always interesting to discuss this. Thanks for your feedback.