PDA

View Full Version : Old Barns in INK

Phillip
05-20-2003, 07:08 AM
Hi.

New to this ink drawing.

Just finnished drawing this tonight. took me one hour.

I used Art Spectrum black pigmented INK using a dip pen.

Comments wellcome please.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2003/21263-Old_Barns.jpg

kare
05-20-2003, 07:18 AM
composition is stated well. the two barns make the drawing whole- love how you have just done the steps, but no actual outline!!! adds a textural feel! simplistic lines are wonderful, also adding smoothness. i really love the way you've created this piece!

cross hatching adds contrast! it looks like you've secretly been doing this for years! :)

Phillip
05-20-2003, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by ciarrai
composition is stated well. the two barns make the drawing whole- love how you have just done the steps, but no actual outline!!! adds a textural feel! simplistic lines are wonderful, also adding smoothness. i really love the way you've created this piece!

cross hatching adds contrast! it looks like you've secretly been doing this for years! :)

Thanks Ciarrai.

Nope only started doing some ink drawings a few weeks ago.

I find the cross hatching not all that dificult, to me it's just a heap of straight lines. What I do find difficult is putting them in the right place.

:confused:

kare
05-20-2003, 07:25 AM
Don't we all :D
that's the fun of it really.. deciding what we should risk! :)

keep sketching Phillip- i like your style!!

seejay
05-20-2003, 07:35 AM
This is good, Phillip. You seem to be liking your dip pen!;)

Only thing to watch is perspective, I think the right hand barn has some bits going up that should be going down a bit...too hard for me to explain here, if you want to ask me about it on Saturday I may be able to describe what I mean...;)

Keep on chooglin', you are doing fine.

Cheers

Phillip
05-20-2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by seejay
This is good, Phillip. You seem to be liking your dip pen!;)

Only thing to watch is perspective, I think the right hand barn has some bits going up that should be going down a bit...too hard for me to explain here, if you want to ask me about it on Saturday I may be able to describe what I mean...;)

Keep on chooglin', you are doing fine.

Cheers

Thanks Chris.

LOL. you know me I like bits going everwhere.:D

kare
05-20-2003, 04:48 PM
lol keep going... practise is what makes the difference.. although you wouldnt know sometimes with me lol

artdude
05-20-2003, 07:07 PM
Nice job Phillip!! Like the cross hatching on the tree. Just a suggestion. Next time you do a tree like that, try to render it using a scribbling technique instead of hatching and see if you like the difference :D:)

beatle_john
05-20-2003, 07:07 PM
Very nice drawing, I like your style...

Agree in comments with seejay...

Regards...

kare
05-20-2003, 07:42 PM
seejay; edgar,

can you explain what you mean a little..?? i'm not sure what you mean either.. maybe you could use Philli's image and draw on it for reference.. i'm eager to understand as i would like to do scenery sometime soon

jjsangel
05-20-2003, 11:29 PM
Pretty good for someone new to this. I do agree with artdude about the scribbling for the tree. Would make a big difference. I really like this though.

dolors
05-21-2003, 05:03 AM
Beautiful barn Phillip. Agree on what they say about perspective, anyway it is an excellent start.

Phillip
05-21-2003, 05:35 AM
Thanks for the comments,

I really appreciate it.

I have no problems if anyone wants to use my drawing for any manipulation.

I will bring the drawing in on Saturday Chris, Would love to improve the perspective

seejay
05-21-2003, 06:46 AM
Hey ciarrai, you asked for it, so don't be disappointed now!;)

And sorry Phillip, I don't have any convenient graphics software to manipulate your pic - please be satisfied with a crappy sketch.
Certainly see me on Saturday - I'm sure I can give a better explanation if I can wave my hands about in front of you!

First, do a search on Google, or what not, for perspective lessons, particularly two point perspective, since it is most relevent here. Books have been written about perspective, so I don't think I can explain it here!:) If any one knows of good threads on WC, please post links.

Imagine power poles lined down a street; as they get further away they get smaller. Similarly, the distant vertical edge of a wall should be shorter than the closer edge. Because the verticals are different lengths, the horizontal edges (top and bottom) wont' both be horizontal, or parallel...at least one, usually both will be sloping up or down. Which way depends on your eye level...both the top and bottom edge will "vanish" towards the eye level....read up on your perspective, and it will help make sense out of the dribble above.:)

Please refer to my scratchy sketch to see which two lines I think are off, assuming the eye level is about half way up the door (horizontal line). Funnily enough, the chimney looks good.

My sketch is exaggerated a bit, but hopefully illustrates the point.

My apologies again for an inadequate answer, but hey, that's what the internet for - crap information, and lots of it. Hopefully you can find something more useful out there, or maybe even in a book at your local library.

Please feel free to point out any mistakes in the above, I just made it up.

Cheers

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-May-2003/6409-barn.jpg

Phillip
05-21-2003, 07:08 AM
Thanks Chris.

I understand now, I'm really looking forward to saturday now. LOL
I'll be watching your arms & hands.:D

I am going to redraw this with your sugestions.

kare
05-21-2003, 10:03 PM
yes i see now!!!

thanks alot seejay! talk to you soon :)