PDA

View Full Version : New to pen drawings

harmony
05-20-2003, 03:31 AM
This drawing was done in about 5 minutes using a normal everyday black inked pen. I felt it was time to use something other than a pencil and so I did. This is what I came up with. Its not very good. I found last night from my first ever attempts in ink that cross-hatching is not really for me so I avoided using it in this drawing.

If anyone can offer any advice to drawing in ink I would be most appreciative. I've read a couple of members postings on how to work in this medium but any other help on top of that would be great.

I realise the proportions of this drawing are pretty off too...among other things... especially with the ring finger (2nd from left). Mostly I'm just trying to get a feel for drawing in pen to start with.

Thanks for looking

harmony
05-20-2003, 03:32 AM
Attaching the drawing might help :rolleyes:

DragonladyfromOz
05-20-2003, 04:00 AM
Aaahhhhh - another one who has found the light!:D Well... the pen - heheheee.
Well you certainly started with a hard one - a hand can be difficult at the best of times ... cause we all know what they look like! Generally, it looks good - especially for 5 mins... as you said, some of the proportions are a bit skewwhiff [correct spelling too :D ] but you picked that up yourself - it LOOKS like a hand - that's the hardest hurdle overcome :D You have all the necessary elements, just need to add some depth.
There are a number of articles by WC members that you may wish to read as they cover crosshatching, stippling, contour work ... and a whole lot of other techniques as well as discussions on types of applicators - brush, pen, nib etc.
It's all practice ;)
You just have to play with various styles and pens [my preference:evil: ] and keep posting!!!
Cheers
Manda

harmony
05-20-2003, 04:09 AM
Thanks Manda. I've definately got a looooonnnngggg way to go before I become established at pen and ink lol But its fun to create such a challenge. One things for sure though, that certainly doesnt look like my hand... a hand yes... but my hand... no lol

Phillip
05-20-2003, 06:58 AM
Hi Harmony.

Just want to say, looks like you made a pretty good start.

Can't offer any help as I am new to this as well.

harmony
05-20-2003, 07:21 AM
Thanks Phillip, although the more i look at that hand... the creepier it looks LOL not a good sign

seejay
05-20-2003, 07:25 AM
As you say, it looks like a hand. Great start.

harmony
05-20-2003, 07:31 AM
A creepy looking hand... but yes still a hand so I'm hopefully getting somewhere :)

shadowbxre
05-20-2003, 09:41 AM
Look good for a first. I find that doing a quick portrait in pen is a mental thing that helps me do it right. It's like deep in my brain i'm thinking "it's pen...do it right or you won't be able to fix it!" funny how the mind works. Or at least my mind. :D

mel-ink
05-20-2003, 10:43 AM
A good start! Welcome to the wonderful world of pen & ink!! This is a great forum and there are lots of talented people around to help you out. Practice lots and sketch if you can, just to get familiar with the medium. Hope to see lots more of your work!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Oldthumbs
05-20-2003, 10:48 AM
Pretty tough trying to draw in ink without cross-hatching, or some type of shading. One of my favorite authors on ink drawing is Claudia Nice. Not sure if her books are available there or not. She covers a lot of different ways to accomplish shading with pen and ink. She uses technical pens, but the techniques apply to any kind of pen drawing.

Ray

Jakeally
05-20-2003, 02:21 PM
Hehehehehehe....it looks just about as good as my first hand Harmony. Don't fret, it gets easier with practice:D
I would advise you to check out Seejays posts to see how hands are done properly (although he probably wouldn't admit to that
:D )
I still haven't managed a decent hand but I keep trying and each time I do the result is better.
Great job on your first:clap: :clap:

els
05-20-2003, 02:28 PM
I think you did it very well. Being your first it is great, the shading of the human body is very difficult to do, so no worries... Keep posting...

shadowbxre
05-20-2003, 02:31 PM
You could always go with stippling or pointalism instead.

kare
05-20-2003, 07:08 PM
:) haven't you seen my first hand drawing in ink LOL... i'm terrible compared to this- sure i am!!

its a great start to the p&i world!! :)

harmony
05-20-2003, 09:16 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I found that I am really quite terrible at cross-hatching. Then i only ever tried once, so I avoided it in this drawing. I have a long way to go before i manage to be accomplished in pen and ink. It was also done very quickly so I did not stop to add in alot of detail... such as all the lines and shading. It was more of an experiement. I usually avoid drawing hands and feet as much as possible lol yet yesterday I drew one of each... the foot is in graphite however.

Thanks again for taking a look.

kare
05-20-2003, 09:20 PM
so where's this foot? :p

harmony
05-20-2003, 09:32 PM
LOL you already found it! :P

kare
05-20-2003, 10:00 PM
lol so i have!!! :rolleyes:

Phillip
05-20-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Jakeally
Hehehehehehe....it looks just about as good as my first hand Harmony. Don't fret, it gets easier with practice:D
I would advise you to check out Seejays posts to see how hands are done properly (although he probably wouldn't admit to that
:D )
I still haven't managed a decent hand but I keep trying and each time I do the result is better.
Great job on your first:clap: :clap:

I vouch for seejays work, he does excellent Pen & Ink drawings,

I am priveledged to know Seejay personally, I see him about twice a week. I've seen his drawings in original form & they are awesome.