PDA

View Full Version : Took my camera tonight!

djstar
05-20-2003, 02:09 AM
As many, some or all of you know, I am possessed these days by sueded mat board and Terry Ludwig pastels.
It seems as well, I have been on a roll. At the encouragement of a future gallery, I am trying to branch beyond portrait and into figurative.
Two have turned out really good. One is in the same show Richard Huante and I entered. The second was Saturday and tonight I remembered my camera just to see what I could do.

Patricia was the same model as Saturday, so I tried to get her to disguise herself so it wouldn't look all the same. We went for Mexican vacation and she wore a hat and an embroidered white Mexican dress. I also got my way with the lighting and we put it below and across. Once again, I volunteered to go blind in the glare so here is how I began on a piece of deep moss green 20x16 sueded board.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2003/1730-1patbeacha.jpg
We hung a flowered drapery and had a vase of fake lilacs and lilies and pussywillow and a big green and white deck chair cushion. By her feet was a pinata on the other side so I decided to crop with the bright fuschia metalic scarf she had tied around her white hat as the main interest.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2003/1730-1patbeachb.jpg
At the second break I decided it just looked like she was looking out to sea. I was thinking of pullling out some of the photos from San Diego last weekend when I got home but was not sure. Just thought low sunset light and water. Her neck hung, but I was excited to have that feel of the contented tourist on the last night before the cruise ends... etc.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2003/1730-1patbeachc.jpg

lots of flowers I needed to get started on but I was pretty happy with the head and the bright buttery background of the drapery without the flowers. The effect of the light barely seen on her face, but all over the place in the background. Also had to figure out what to do with all that embroidery and white pleated fabric.
I used a lot of gray and no white in the thing... couldn't find my stick.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2003/1730-1patbeachd.jpg
this is the pose where I struggled the whole time on the hat... and the scarf. I was thinking of making the stripes more apparent.
I think I was drawing through one break but it was a lot of work on the dress.... and finally the last pose was after I decided what to do with the sky.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2003/1730-1patatbeachwc.jpg

:D

Well I am happy!!!
dj*

Artaholic
05-20-2003, 02:40 AM
Wow!!:clap: :clap: I am so glad that you got your way with the lighting so dramatic! Love it when we get to share lin the WI P 's

Gerry

butterfly
05-20-2003, 02:43 AM
WOW DJ

This is fantastic!!! Thanks for posting all the steps showing how you developed this picture ...

The way you handle color and the layering ... WOW it really taught me something ...(I continually struggle with color) Gosh you made it look soooo easy. And your explanations as you progressed was enlightening ... you gave us a glimpse into your thinking as you compose ... THANK YOU! (love glimpses into peoples heads ... especially artists LOL)

You handled the whole picture ... color composition just everything .... wonderfully

All your work is beautiful ...

Thanks again.

Roni

djstar
05-20-2003, 02:58 AM
Sometimes I just want to break my arm patting myself!!! I am really feeling like I channel these and tonight the model almost spooked me.
As I was thinking of water she had such a serene look, I was telling her what I was thinking of doing and she said "I was imagining seagulls as I sat"
Gad, I guess I read minds too!

About the build...
Sally Strand told us to key a picture. It is a simple thing, to establish a darkest dark and a lightest light... that is not the same as black and white, it is the perameter of the values in the picture. If you step up from black and down from white you will have a comparison to judge colors by against a fixed point. When I got done, I found another white, not as clean as my Terry, and glinted her eye and stroked the whitest part of her hat and took a deep violet and cut the sharpest darks in the scarf.
I work all over to compare. An eyeball is nothing unless it lives in a face!
dj*

soap
05-20-2003, 04:26 AM
DJ......I want to thank you so much for sharing this process! I really learned a lot. It is a gorgeous painting, and I cannot believe how easy you come up with these things. But, again, it has been wonderful to see the progress and how you set things up. It seems to me you only start with a very light drawing/sketch and quickly start adding values and colour. I like seeing that because I get told off by my life class teacher for not drawing enough and going to values too quickly. Although I know what he means and where he is coming from.
Anyway, enough about me, DJ, it is great to share in your exploration of more figurative work. Thanks so much for sharing!!
Loved the wine lady too and LOVED the girl with the flowers behind her.

Sophie.

Egon
05-20-2003, 04:40 AM
Hi Debra ,
Sorry i missed your birthday !Congratulation you mad your own a nice present.
I think i should do a little more in pastell

Love Egon

Smudger
05-20-2003, 10:07 AM
Great work... i love it:clap: :clap:

BevL
05-20-2003, 10:31 AM
You're my hero, you know that dont you? :)

Exquisite!

Thanks for showing your steps for this. Even though you share how you arrive at such results, its still all magic to me!

Bev

BTDogMom
05-20-2003, 11:58 AM
Well I am happy!!! Dang - I'd b happy 2! Thank u 4 the step by step!!! LOVELY:clap: :clap:

flower
05-20-2003, 12:18 PM
Hi djstar,

Really love this WIP she looks so contented and deep in thought.

djstar
05-20-2003, 03:31 PM
I am going to send pieces to the pastel society of america show and may be applying like Jackie suggested, with no expectations.
The problem with being on a roll, is that the NEXT one is always the best.
If you are looking, and I were to enter three, which of my latest would YOU suggest? These 20x16 are all good in my book, but Ted, which I did recently and sort of makes me think of my old stuff, was suggested as a prize winner, and my latest of Joseph... Anything I did in the last two years is possible.
Input appreciated and considered, if not always agreed with, so feel free to let go, I am happy to take it!
dj*

MarciaJane
05-20-2003, 04:26 PM
This is a lovely portrait. I love the colours you have used in the skin, and the expression on her face. Beautiful!!

Marcia

meowmeow
05-20-2003, 05:32 PM
I'm glad you got your way with the lighting...it shows! YOu did a great job!

Sandy

Paintonbrush
05-21-2003, 10:41 AM
Enter this one for sure!!!

Mo.
05-21-2003, 07:33 PM
Thanks for sharing this DJ, I was fascinated reading your step by step progress, and yes enter this one for sure, I wouldn't like to advise on the others, such a hard choice, go with the gut feeling that's my advice. Good luck, I'm sure you will be accepted with honours.

Nos Da. :)

Mo.

Dima
05-21-2003, 08:27 PM
Wonderful WIP, DJ.
Good luck with your application!
You're a pastelstar and I hope you'll be admitted.
This one together with Lisa and 'she's back' could be my choice from your recent work.

Dick

Bobbie
05-24-2003, 01:49 AM
She is SO beautiful, DJ! And thank you so much for your demo.
I LOVED Sally Strand. I thought her workshop was wonderful. I do try to remember to "key in". I'm still not there yet.
Good luck w/PSA. Let us know.