PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please

marc
05-19-2003, 09:37 PM
I've been working on something in the same vein as Pulse.. took some time on the background and had planned to overlay dragon figure(s), but the background got a life of its own and I'm not sure which direction to take it.. is it worth pursuing in itself by adding more stuff, or should I just paint other stuff on top of it?

Opinions on that and anything else (especially compositionally) much appreciated.

']['REMBLE
05-19-2003, 09:38 PM
dark and brooding, i like!!

surreal
05-19-2003, 11:16 PM
It's dark and mysterious in mood - a compelling image!!!
The composition is great!

I would aim for more variation in values - more lighter colors perhaps?

What do you think?

Lynxes123
05-19-2003, 11:24 PM
It looks hot, dark, and mysterious! Neat!
Lynette:cat:

Grannyof5
05-20-2003, 03:03 AM
Marc, I love the colours and movement, but I think you should go on, letting the background gide you sometimes.
My teacher would say to me well 'GO ON THEN' and I could murder him!!! But it usually works.
Good Luck
Jean

marc
05-20-2003, 09:19 AM
Thank you everyone for your kind words. :)

I'm not sure I understand which of the two directions I indicated you support... either I'm going to make the background the image by building on it, or I'm keeping it subdued and adding the eyecathers on top..

jean, I think you're suggesting to build on the background itself?

I think I'll try that first, since it's digital I can always go back.. not so sure the comosition will hold it though..

Thanks again :)

Nisha
05-20-2003, 10:08 AM
Hi Marc!

I really love the way the background has turned out.
I think a great way to keep the feel of the background and yet build on it would be to have dragons emerging in places out of the the background. Keep the colours that you have now and simply have the contours of the dragons revealed in light. I can almost see them emerging now!
Hope this helps.

Nisha:D

marc
05-20-2003, 10:16 AM
Nisha,

That's a good idea.. I had more pictured them floating on top.. but having them emerge from the background also sounds very tricky ;) I'll see if I can pull it off, although I can picture it in my mind I may not be able to paint it properly :D

Nisha
05-21-2003, 03:19 PM
I'm sure you can do it!
Do whatever feels right though - it's only a suggestion. :)
Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Nisha:D

Gar
05-21-2003, 03:21 PM
it's not doin much for me marc. Looks unfinished to me for some reason. Sorry.:cool:

marc
05-21-2003, 03:25 PM
Thanks Nisha :D

Gar, if you noticed what I wrote then it shouldn't be too surprising that it does indeed look unfinished ;) - it's a WIP

dragoni689
05-21-2003, 03:26 PM
maybe it needs more contrast, or it could be that the photo is dark.

try tinting up some of your colors with some white, and adding more grays. you need some form of seporation between your background and your foreground, and possibly that should involve atmospheric perspective.
(the use of less contrast in background, higher contrast in foreground in order to create a higher sense of depth.)

it probably just needs more time. you'll work it out how you want it to be.

marc
09-19-2003, 08:06 PM
Hi,

I just wanted to say I finally got around to finishing this one. :) I posted it in the fantasy forum here: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=133624

Thank you all who commented, it was very helpful.

Tamana
09-19-2003, 11:00 PM
WEll done, marc! That depth is incredible. Exodus so to speak. Glad to see you moving!!

amanda
09-19-2003, 11:52 PM
Im afraid that it also is too dark and unfinished for me but I'm sure you meant it to be dark like this (or is the screen shot?).

marc
09-20-2003, 10:00 AM
Thank you Tam, glad you like it :) sure took a long time to finish.. (I'm assuming you're looking at the new one I linked to?)

amanda - I'm not sure if you're commenting on the WIP posted here (which is very dark) or the finished version in the fantasy forum that I posted a link to.. The finished version is dark also, but not so much that it shouldn't have enough light areas to attract the eyes.. could be that your monitor settings are too dark? I like to post this greyscale bar for monitor calibration purposes, all the individual blocks should be distinctly separated. (courtesy of dpreview.com). If you think the finished version is too dark I'd like to know :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2003/21810-grayscale.gif

Dahzl
09-21-2003, 03:13 AM
The finished piece in the Fantasy Forum Looks Fantastic Marc ! :D
[ have already posted a response in there for you]

Good One !

Cheers Dahzl :D

Nisha
09-21-2003, 10:42 PM
Excellent! There be dragons here! :)

Knew you could do it!

Nisha :)

marc
09-22-2003, 01:41 PM
Thank you for your encouragement Nisha, it was very helpful :)

Dahzllers :D