PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at Pen & Ink

harmony
05-19-2003, 09:33 PM
Hey everyone,
Well yesterday I had an off day of drawing so I decided to have a quick attempt using pen to sketch in. Either my off day showed up also in my pen and ink sketches or I'm really quite terrible at this medium lol I think the main problem was in the cross hatching.. especially around the top of the stomach where there is far too much hatching. I've never shaded with cross-hatching before and it definately shows. Can someone please help me?

harmony
05-19-2003, 09:34 PM
The knees look pretty funny in that sketch too :-S

Heres the other:

seejay
05-19-2003, 10:46 PM
Thanks for posting harmony. These are good for a first off!

Practice is the answer, and lots of mistakes!;) I think artdude has an article about hatching etc, if you want different ways of doing hatching.

As for figures, I'm still struggling myself....

or I'm really quite terrible at this medium Give it a chance, one try doesn't mean you are terrible! After you do dozens of *blah* drawings (and I don't consider these *blab*, BTW) you will start to realise that it pays to think before putting down the ink - you can't easily take it away.;)

Oh, and have fun!

Cheers

beatle_john
05-19-2003, 11:10 PM
Hi harmony, don't be scared, I'm not following you :)
Those are good sketches, I like the figures...
Cross hatching can be improved, parts where stronger shadows should be placed could have a stronger density of lines, places where shadows are not stronger could have a low density of lines...

Congratulations on your first drawings with pen :)

Regards...

kare
05-20-2003, 12:18 AM
harmony,
your tattoo came out great!... cross hatching needs to be a bit smaller, though you've got the hang of it! post more soon.

harmony
05-20-2003, 12:55 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind comments. Dont worry Beatle_John, i didnt think you were following me lol I think my biggest prob is definately the cross-hatching so i guess thats a definate thing to practice on. It was fun building up the courage to explore a new medium. Pity I ended up with figures looking like they had tarten coloured skin LOL

Ciarrai, the tattoo turned out just rotten. Hence the reason why I skipped putting the second one in on the back drawing. hehe ahh well... i think i'll give some more pen drawings a go soon. Hopefully do a better job of the cross-hatching. I'll look for that article you recommended Seejay. Hopefully it helps :)

Thanks again everyone

kare
05-20-2003, 01:08 AM
you will improve with pen & ink.
it is like drawing with pencil.. if you make an error, i find it easier as you can darken hatching or add extra values over the error!
try it and see :)

harmony
05-20-2003, 01:10 AM
I attempted adding extra hatching last night and found to my horror i made the drawing worse LOL its about time i used something other than a pencil though. yet i still have a feeling paint will never become one of them. :rolleyes:

kare
05-20-2003, 01:19 AM
don't worry about paint for now then. put your hand on the top of your sketch paper- lay it out flat.. under where your hand sits, sketch (not draw..) try sketching the outline with short strokes- don't actually draw lines like the shape of something.. try that.. its much easier to use hatching with short strokes for an outline.. i usually go back and darken my outlines with contours later on.

harmony
05-20-2003, 01:20 AM
Could be something to try later. Thanks. :)

kare
05-20-2003, 02:00 AM
np

Phillip
05-20-2003, 07:35 AM
Hi Harmony.
I don't know how I almost missed this posting by you. I just seen it now.

I think you've made a good start here.

Keep it up. practise is the best way to learn. Well I hope so, cause I have been doing a lot of practise lately.

harmony
05-20-2003, 07:40 AM
Hey Phillip. Thanks for commenting :) And yes practice is definately the key to learning. One more assignment to go and I'll have plenty of time to practice practice practice... until exams i guess lol

Jakeally
05-20-2003, 02:06 PM
Hi! Harmony...... lovely to see you over here:)
As you say.... its just the hatching you have to work on..... all the rest is just fine. You got the shading spot on and its only the distance between the lines of hatching that you have to watch out for.
Great job on your first effort and I hope you enjoy the journey as much as I do:D :clap: :clap: :clap:

els
05-20-2003, 02:55 PM
They look really great to me...

artdude
05-20-2003, 06:57 PM
Don't get discouraged. Ink is a TOUGH medium to work with. As others have said, practice is the way to go :D Go through some of the ink articles here and maybe pick up a few books. You'll be well on your way to some great ink drawings before you know it :D:)

Here is the link to the ink article I wrote. Maybe you can try the Deadwood walk through there :)

"Pen & Ink - Shading/Techniques/Lesson" (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/3698/194/)

kare
05-20-2003, 07:17 PM
you did really well with the proportions in these drawings harmony.. you're really doing very well!

harmony
05-20-2003, 09:12 PM
Thankyou everyone so much for your comments. They are very encouraging. Its much appreciated.

Artdude, I did actually have a quick read through that article you wrote after I did these sketches. It was very informative :) Hopefully I will be able to improve my hatching for next time :)

kare
05-20-2003, 10:02 PM
Jakeally has some good advice! everything you've drawn here is right on spot.. just need to work at the hatching.. what are you doing this weekend? i could come over or something and show you if you'd like? :)

harmony
05-20-2003, 10:05 PM
Hectic weekend unfortunately. Simons got a gig, then we got a 21st, band prac, etc etc.

I dont think i really tried to hard in my first cross-hatching attempt anyway lol I just allowed myself to put down some really un thought about lines. I have a feeling if i actually concentrate more on what i'm doing it might turn out alot better. However there are other ways to shade in ink other than cross-hatching so maybe I'll give a few of those a go also. If all else fails I'll come hassle you lol

kare
05-20-2003, 10:07 PM
lol though it seems funnny because it's usually me getting help off you!

harmony
05-20-2003, 10:10 PM
Time for a change lol I might do some more ink drawings later on today if i get the chance.

Phillip
05-20-2003, 10:18 PM
Hello Harmony & Ciarrai.

That's what I like th hear, more practise drawing. :clap:

harmony
05-20-2003, 10:26 PM
I think this thread is turning more into a chat room lol

Practice is definately the key to improvement. Although right now I have another art project to get started. But it doesnt relate at all to drawing. Possibly to paint... but more to glue and photos on a big piece of wood lol... off to start my collage