the loss of rectininear is grand,
now it's alice in wonderland

Alan Cross
05-20-2003, 01:58 AM
Love the dots of color....
Alan :)

artinoils
05-20-2003, 02:09 AM
Love the colors in the gardens...she seems a bit pale to me. Maybe add some of the color used in the flowers to her skin?What do you think?

mattlart
05-20-2003, 10:06 AM
Jim,....I think if you can work in that very noticeable strong sense of warm sunlight into this painting,....it'll be one of my absolute favorites!!! Cheers

Helen Zapata
05-20-2003, 11:03 AM
This is marvelous, Jim! I'm grinning at my screen.

She looks wonderful. I wouldn't change a thing.

The only nit would be to try to push those flowers (behind her) back a bit. They seem to be laying on her back and head.

I LOVE your emerging style! You would make the most wonderful illustrations in children's books. I HOPE you know that I mean that totally as a compliment. Sometimes those books have the most wonderful paintings! And I could see yours there right up with the top artists in the genre.

Helen

HRobinson
05-20-2003, 11:38 AM
... me. I believe I keep seeing a unique style (and in my book that's all that you'll ever need) but can't really say for sure. For example: her arms. I believe that you can see the differences. Unless that's the way she's built, I would presume that you want to make her abstractually appealing (or ugly) in some way as to make this entire work an abstract. The other subjects in this piece also reflect the abstractive leanings -- although the warm flowers at the top become a bit tedious due to their sameness. Your perspective and brush strokes are very intuitive and interesting. -Harry

woodguy
05-21-2003, 03:32 AM
Thanks, Jerry! I do like diagonals......wish every painting I did had them.

Alan....I like the colorful dots too! But maybe less would be better. Thanks.

Thanks, Susan! About the pale skin......she is a Red Head and is very pale compected. No dark tans on this beauty!

Scott.....Thanks for your nice comments. In this one I tried to use different colors to achieve that warm light, especially the yellows. Seems too glaring and almost too cool. I think I need to stay with my usual Naples and Ochre. Had to give it a shot though!!!!

Helen.....WOW, thanks for the kudos! I certainly accept your compliments with a smile and a blush! Illustrating would be nice. I also agree about the backround, but this was a real quickie and I wasn't thinking too much.

Thanks, Harry! I really enjoy your responses. Thought provoking, honest, inciteful and knowledgable! Perhaps this painting should be called a "study" or a "sketch", as it was done very quickly and without concern for anatomical correctness. I was just trying to express a passing thought.

Thanks again to all for looking and your great comments. Jim